• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery post dental

The reason I mentioned pain relief was because you said Daisy was eating the carpet and walls ...

I hope things are OK for you all xx

She had more metacam before she left the vets last night. My husband is waiting for the vets to call back and he finishes work at 2 pm so will be able to take them down there if need be (although even more stress for them). The carpet and walls were signs to me of pain. I don't know if they can give her something stronger?

She is producing small poos but hasn't eaten much so guess there's not much to come out. Found caetotrophs on Monday which I'm sure are hers as Magoo tends to do bigger ones. I was concerned she hadn't eaten them but the vet said he wasn't concerned as it was a good sign that she was passing.
The vet seems to think we can get her through this which I thoroughly hope we can. But this is based on his theory that we got Magoo through his broken jaw against all odds! The endless trips and stay at the vets is fueling the situation and affecting them both. Just feel so helpless.😐

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'd ask for stronger pain relief, or discuss upping the amount and frequency of metacam.
Sending vibes x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd ask for stronger pain relief, or discuss upping the amount and frequency of metacam.
Sending vibes x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Aswell as the above I'd also ask the Vet to carry out a full abdominal examination, paying particular attention to the cecum. Hopefully the Vet has already done this, but am mentioning it just incase.

She had more metacam before she left the vets last night. My husband is waiting for the vets to call back and he finishes work at 2 pm so will be able to take them down there if need be (although even more stress for them). The carpet and walls were signs to me of pain. I don't know if they can give her something stronger?

She is producing small poos but hasn't eaten much so guess there's not much to come out. Found caetotrophs on Monday which I'm sure are hers as Magoo tends to do bigger ones. I was concerned she hadn't eaten them but the vet said he wasn't concerned as it was a good sign that she was passing.
The vet seems to think we can get her through this which I thoroughly hope we can. But this is based on his theory that we got Magoo through his broken jaw against all odds! The endless trips and stay at the vets is fueling the situation and affecting them both. Just feel so helpless.😐

You could discuss having Tramdol with the vet. I wouldn't advise vetergesic (buprecare) as it makes rabbits very sleepy and will hinder her recovery and eating.

Has the vet given anything to ensure good gut motility?

She had a gut mobility med yesterday evening and we have some more metacam to give her.

They are going to Winton Lodge vets tomorrow (recommended by RWAF). Not sure if anyone has had any dealings with them? So will be interesting to see what they say...

Daisy seems to like eating plantain which I understand is high in carbs. Shall I restrict how much she has or not worry at the moment? I don't want to cause her further problems!

If they're not eating normally I always adopt a "something is better than nothing" approach so if she only wants plantain I'd go with it. It's healthy anyway so it'll be fine.
Scarlet often recovered on dandelions, parsley and mini shredded wheats.

She had a gut mobility med yesterday evening and we have some more metacam to give her.

They are going to Winton Lodge vets tomorrow (recommended by RWAF). Not sure if anyone has had any dealings with them? So will be interesting to see what they say...

Daisy seems to like eating plantain which I understand is high in carbs. Shall I restrict how much she has or not worry at the moment? I don't want to cause her further problems!

Plantain is a good food. I find they sometimes also like rose leaves and freshly picked grass. Herbs such as coriander, parsley and dill usually go down well

I wouldn't restrict any greenstuff at the moment, if she will eat it :thumb:

Thanks for your ongoing advice everyone. Daisy is picking at hay too now and even happy flopped earlier 😊Magoo is following her like a hawk ! Lots of encouragement to eat, I'm following them around with hay, they can't get used to this hand feeding though!

If she normally eats her nuggets well another trick I used was to get the dust out of the bottom of the packet and sprinkle it on the hay so it smelled nuggety. Soaking the regular food short term can help too. Later in life Scarlet would only eat soaked nuggets.

Daisy has just eaten half her pellets too...Don't want to speak too soon...

a98ce030fbfe7b6e5b2064e94c04b7ac.jpg

Think I spoke too soon!

Not so good . Not much hay eaten or poop produced overnight😐 Daisy refused pellets this morning, didn't want plantain, has had a tiny amount of readigrass and hay. Has just done a couple of small poos and caetotrophs. Must be something to do with her mouth/pain. Magoo hasn't eaten much either 😦ate his pellets in 4 sittings this morning and not eaten much else.

Leaving in 15 mins to go to this other veterinary surgery. I really hope they can give some answers.

Think I spoke too soon!

Not so good . Not much hay eaten or poop produced overnight😐 Daisy refused pellets this morning, didn't want plantain, has had a tiny amount of readigrass and hay. Has just done a couple of small poos and caetotrophs. Must be something to do with her mouth/pain. Magoo hasn't eaten much either 😦ate his pellets in 4 sittings this morning and not eaten much else.

Leaving in 15 mins to go to this other veterinary surgery. I really hope they can give some answers.

I really hope your new place can de-mystify what on earth's going on here :wave:

Lots of luck xx

I wonder if something else is wrong and this isn't related to the dental or the teeth. Hope you get some answers and the right treatment.

Back