• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit that weighs TWICE what it should!!

Elliegirl

Young Bun
Hi all!

I board rabbits as part of my boarding business and on Friday my new guest bunny arrived and she is HUGE. She weighs 4.63kg so I'm reckoning about 100% more than she should!! Her owner had no idea she was overweight until the vet told her last week but thats where the vet left it. The rabbits diet has consisted of pretty much carrot every day and museli based diet which to me looks to be 95%plus dried peas (how much sugar?!)!!! She has the most appalling bottom and just passes sticky sludge. She can't clean her ears round her dewlap and her frontlegs are restricted by said dewlap. It's so sad she's such a sweet bunny. I truly believe its a misinformed owner with no knowledge of their care rather than neglect and she took the rabbit on as a favour top a neighbour rather than going out to get one.

Since I've assessed her she is on as much hay as she will eat (she seems to love it) a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of excel pellets (I don't have the lite variety to hand) and curly kale/spring greens in small amounts through the day. The three times I've done a bum clean/wash today once the sludge is washed away normal though tiny poos are coming through so I feel I could be starting in the right direction.

Tomorrow I have access to clippers and intend to clip her nether regions as they are so disgusting and matted despite my best efforts. I cannot believe she has evaded the flies! It will help me keep her clean and also her owner too.

I'm planning on sending her home with a recommended diet sheet and the offer of regular weigh ins too, her exercise has suddenly been increased too because she has a safe free range garden which she does run around apparently.

Anything else I can do or add to the diet sheet? I've never seen such an obese rabbit and want to help it all I can but this is beyond any weight watcher rabbit I've had to deal with....

Thanks x

Hi all!

I board rabbits as part of my boarding business and on Friday my new guest bunny arrived and she is HUGE. She weighs 4.63kg so I'm reckoning about 100% more than she should!! Her owner had no idea she was overweight until the vet told her last week but thats where the vet left it. The rabbits diet has consisted of pretty much carrot every day and museli based diet which to me looks to be 95%plus dried peas (how much sugar?!)!!! She has the most appalling bottom and just passes sticky sludge. She can't clean her ears round her dewlap and her frontlegs are restricted by said dewlap. It's so sad she's such a sweet bunny. I truly believe its a misinformed owner with no knowledge of their care rather than neglect and she took the rabbit on as a favour top a neighbour rather than going out to get one.

Since I've assessed her she is on as much hay as she will eat (she seems to love it) a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of excel pellets (I don't have the lite variety to hand) and curly kale/spring greens in small amounts through the day. The three times I've done a bum clean/wash today once the sludge is washed away normal though tiny poos are coming through so I feel I could be starting in the right direction.

Tomorrow I have access to clippers and intend to clip her nether regions as they are so disgusting and matted despite my best efforts. I cannot believe she has evaded the flies! It will help me keep her clean and also her owner too.

I'm planning on sending her home with a recommended diet sheet and the offer of regular weigh ins too, her exercise has suddenly been increased too because she has a safe free range garden which she does run around apparently.

Anything else I can do or add to the diet sheet? I've never seen such an obese rabbit and want to help it all I can but this is beyond any weight watcher rabbit I've had to deal with....

Thanks x

Well the Bunny has struck lucky in coming to stay with you. I would suggest that you dont cut back on her calorific intake too quickly. A rapid weightloss can cause serious problems with the liver, especially if the Rabbit is very overweight. The same applies with the amount of exercise she has. If she has been very sedentary for a long time she may have poor bone density and sudden vigorous exercise could lead to an injury, often to the spine.

As her diet appears to have been very poor she may have some dental problems which need addressing. As you say she appears to be eating hay well then there is a chance that any problems with the crowns of the teeth will self correct without the need of Veterinary intervention. But I would want a Vet to check her teeth anyway, at least as much of them that can be checked without need for sedation.

I would prefer to get her onto a variety of hays/forages only diet eventually. If I did give a hard feed I'd prefer to give Fibafirst rather than any other pelleted feed

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

You are obviously being vigilant about flystrike and probably taking additional precautions to try to minimise her risk from that-eg aswell as A* hygiene the use of fly screens over all of her accommodation, using fly strips/electronic fly zappers etc.

Is the Doe spayed ?

Well done for taking this problem seriously. I agree with all that Jack's-Jane has said and have nothing to add - it is a long process getting an overweight rabbit down to a good weight, many months really. I do hope the owner follows your diet sheet.

Hi all!

Thanks x

Hi Elliegirl :wave:

I have often boarded overweight rabbits, where the owner is willing to take on a revised diet so their rabbit will be able to lose weight . It's great that she's come to you, so you can advise and perhaps find a better way forward :)

There is also a lot of very good info around that you can give to the owner, to help them see what a good thing you're doing, and more importantly to keep up the good work when they are back home.

I can't see whether you say how old she is, and whether she is spayed? If she's not spayed then it might be an idea to get the owner to consider that.

There's a really good visual diagram here, which represents the food triangle for rabbits :

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

Good luck xx

it sounds like you are doing what you can for now. i was also going to suggest a health check with a rabbit-savvy vet, and also to make sure any changes are made very gradually over time so no other problems occur. and just keep her as clean as possible too. :wave:

The owner has no idea if she's spayed or not!! I suspect not in that case.

Apparently she is very active at home but I can't see how she can barely move her front legs. Since writing this I have cut out most of her museli and mixed in a few excel nuggets. I'm not going to buy any fibafirst until I've spoken to the owner but I'm going to show her my rabbit as an example of what she should look like! Within 24hours of the diet alterations I was seeing regular cecotropes which she's eating and a few petit pois size regular poos!!! She is getting plenty of timothy and meadow hay and is loving her greens which I'm giving little and often to give her gut chance to get used to them. Two days of no bum washing/clipping hopefully I'm on the right track!!
Thanks for the advice x

The owner has no idea if she's spayed or not!! I suspect not in that case.

Apparently she is very active at home but I can't see how she can barely move her front legs. Since writing this I have cut out most of her museli and mixed in a few excel nuggets. I'm not going to buy any fibafirst until I've spoken to the owner but I'm going to show her my rabbit as an example of what she should look like! Within 24hours of the diet alterations I was seeing regular cecotropes which she's eating and a few petit pois size regular poos!!! She is getting plenty of timothy and meadow hay and is loving her greens which I'm giving little and often to give her gut chance to get used to them. Two days of no bum washing/clipping hopefully I'm on the right track!!
Thanks for the advice x

You're very welcome.

You're working really hard to get things right :D

How is she at hay eating now she is with you?

She's eating hay like it's going out of fashion and wolfs her vegis down. I can honestly say in 27 years of veterinary nursing I have NEVER seen a rabbit in this state! Have discovered P@H sell small boxes of fibrefirst so off to get some shortly to see if I can get her eating it and settled before she goes home. The owner is a tad ditzy but has good intentions and I think when she realises how rabbits bums should be and she doesn't spend all day wiping it and bathing its soggy bum she'll be really motivated. I am also boarding her diabetic cat and she's willing to spend time and money on that and obviously adores the rabbit so I'm very hopeful we can get her sorted :)

She's eating hay like it's going out of fashion and wolfs her vegis down. I can honestly say in 27 years of veterinary nursing I have NEVER seen a rabbit in this state! Have discovered P@H sell small boxes of fibrefirst so off to get some shortly to see if I can get her eating it and settled before she goes home. The owner is a tad ditzy but has good intentions and I think when she realises how rabbits bums should be and she doesn't spend all day wiping it and bathing its soggy bum she'll be really motivated. I am also boarding her diabetic cat and she's willing to spend time and money on that and obviously adores the rabbit so I'm very hopeful we can get her sorted :)

Lovely to have you here Ellie :D

You could point the owner in the direction of this article on flystrike ..

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?458965-Flystrike

It must be a joy to see her eating hay :D

Well this bunny is an odd one, she doesn't drink much at all, she hates any food other than fresh stuff, hay and the museli that is what has got her into this mess :( I've tried fibrefirst, and excel nuggets but she won't even look at either............any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Since coming off 95% of the museli she has no squitty bum and is doing regular if somewhat tiny regular poo.

Thanks

Well this bunny is an odd one, she doesn't drink much at all, she hates any food other than fresh stuff, hay and the museli that is what has got her into this mess :( I've tried fibrefirst, and excel nuggets but she won't even look at either............any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Since coming off 95% of the museli she has no squitty bum and is doing regular if somewhat tiny regular poo.

Thanks

If she's eating loads of hay and some fresh Veg I'd just leave her on that. I'd weigh her every couple of days to make sure weightloss is not too rapid and also continue to monitor her output.

Does she have a sipper bottle or a water bowl ? Most Rabbits will drink more from a bowl. If she is having more veg than normal then she wont drink as much, the veg will contain some water.

What is her urine output like ?

Thanks

If she's eating lots of fresh stuff (does that include grass?) then there's so much moisture in there that she probably doesn't need extra water intake.

I'm glad her botty is looking much better - great leaps forward you've made :D

Her tiny poos should get bigger as you know. If you decide to keep an eye on her weight, I would do it every week, as fluctuations due to food and water can skew the result and make you worry.

I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you already know. She seems to be doing so well in your care :wave:

By the way if you feel like putting your boarding business details in your siggy at the bottom, I'm sure there'd be folk interested :D

Last edited:
This sounds like somewhere that I would happily send my Rabbits! You are going above and beyond and treating this Rabbit the way that you would treat your own :love:
They are very lucky to have found you :)

Aww guys thank you!

Its a cattery plus small animal boarding. I pride myself on all guests getting treated as one of my own http://fondbriggcottagecattery.co.uk/ I planned on boarding small furries as an add on but the demand far outweighs my capacity. I have just invested in new 6x2x2 hutches for the bunnies and 4x2x2 for the guinea pigs.

This girls urine output isn't as much as I'd like but she is weeing. I wonder if coming off the museli in one hit was too much almost like sugar withdrawal so she gets a few (a pinch) flakes but the rest is hay and she has access to fibre first sticks if she decides she wants them. Shes currently out grazing and yes gets plenty of fresh greens etc. I'm getting such a buzz seeing how much her bum has improved and its a huge relief, it was a lot of extra work keeping her clean!! Scary too from the flystrike angle. I will weigh her again at the weekend and see what's going on.

Tracy :wave:

Aww guys thank you!

Its a cattery plus small animal boarding. I pride myself on all guests getting treated as one of my own http://fondbriggcottagecattery.co.uk/ I planned on boarding small furries as an add on but the demand far outweighs my capacity. I have just invested in new 6x2x2 hutches for the bunnies and 4x2x2 for the guinea pigs.

This girls urine output isn't as much as I'd like but she is weeing. I wonder if coming off the museli in one hit was too much almost like sugar withdrawal so she gets a few (a pinch) flakes but the rest is hay and she has access to fibre first sticks if she decides she wants them. Shes currently out grazing and yes gets plenty of fresh greens etc. I'm getting such a buzz seeing how much her bum has improved and its a huge relief, it was a lot of extra work keeping her clean!! Scary too from the flystrike angle. I will weigh her again at the weekend and see what's going on.

Tracy :wave:

Hi Tracy :wave:

Than you for your details. I'm sure people will be interested in the fact you take so much care and have so much knowledge and experience :D

I hope your big girl is still doing well :D

She goes home on Monday but plan to weigh her Sunday (tm) to see if ten days here has made a difference! Her bum is immaculate now so I'm hoping that will spur her owner on!!

Watch out for the weight update!

She goes home on Monday but plan to weigh her Sunday (tm) to see if ten days here has made a difference! Her bum is immaculate now so I'm hoping that will spur her owner on!!

Watch out for the weight update!

Well done you!

I really hope the owner will take it all on board when she goes home :)

OK so here it is!!!!!

On 19th Aug this girl weighed 4.63kg and passed nothing but slop/unformed squish. Her bum was disgusting and I was worried for her.

Today she weighs 4.49kg and is passing only normal poos!!

I am SO happy! The girl leaves tomorrow but she will leave with a diet sheet, lots of advice and hope on my part that her owner sees the light. TY for all your support and advice :D

OK so here it is!!!!!

On 19th Aug this girl weighed 4.63kg and passed nothing but slop/unformed squish. Her bum was disgusting and I was worried for her.

Today she weighs 4.49kg and is passing only normal poos!!

I am SO happy! The girl leaves tomorrow but she will leave with a diet sheet, lots of advice and hope on my part that her owner sees the light. TY for all your support and advice :D

That's fabulous news :D

That's a great weight loss, and what a great way forward for her. I really really hope the owner continues your very good work :D

Back