• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The problem with hay...

Casco

Mama Doe
All my bunnies just pull the hay out of the hay feeder into their litter tray and once it's in there they don't eat it :roll: I feel like I'm throwing away so much. If I give them a box of hay, they pee in it. What does everyone else do to make sure they have hay always available?! I will hopefully soon have a trio living together so I will need more hay feeders, starting to look for clever alternative feeders via Pinterest etc so any ideas gratefully received :D

They currently have a wooden feeder which hangs above their litter tray - I have bought the bag holder from ikea to replace this but I'm holding off using it until bonding is complete so it doesn't have any particular rabbits scent. I also give them toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay which they do eat but it doesn't hold a lot of hay. I could do with something that will provide them with hay for long periods eg while I'm at work or sleeping. I'm sure this must be a common problem as my pair, my newly adopted bun and my foster all do this!

I'm afraid it's a common problem.,I buy farm baled hay from a horse feed merchants and because it's good and very cheap I don't mind that it gets wasted. I find refilling the hay often means more gets eaten :thumb:

I agree baled hay is the way forward - its so cheap & my bunnies love it more than the bagged stuff I used to buy .

I'm lucky that the girls pull it out into their tray, but one of them likes eating it from the tray.

I have this:

91624e3113ec47c6435b3c60397567da.jpg

And this:

90c9cfdafd3228a4a534304c83725f15.jpg

The girls can't pull large amounts out of either of these at any one time.
Got them both from Manor Pet Housing ☺

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I use underbed storage boxes lined with newspaper and filled with hay. I have 48 rabbits and they all love this idea and all eat plenty of hay, especially their favourite hay. My rabbits like the coarse hay but I can't get this as the whole barn went up in smoke :( So we have to make do with Meadow hay, they still eat it but don't devour every bit of it like with the coarse hay.

wow. I didn't know you had 48 Tonibun - I demand a thread with a photo of each of them :lol: How long does a bale last you?

48 rabbits :eek: wow! It is baled hay I use, they do eat quite a bit but also waste a lot. I can fill their feeders and within minutes they are empty, either eaten or lying in the litter tray so then I feel it looks like they have no hay and I'm a bad bunny mum!

I like those mph feeders, the one with the 3 holes in it can they reach all the hay or is there always some left in the bottom they can't reach?

my rabbits take great pleasure in carrying mouthfuls of hay across the carpet to eat in their preferred location :roll: hooray for henry hoover is all i can say

I wish I could put photos of them all - or even most of them! I can't figure it all out I'm afraid. A bale lasts about 2 - 3 days, depending on how packed the bale is. I have 6 bales delivered costs me £45. But the lady had sown a whole field of mixed grasses, it's beautiful coarse hay and it all went up in flames, so I can only get the Meadow hay. Apparently the coarse hay is higher in sugar - maybe that's why they like it! :D Some of them would sit eating it all day long

Sitting in a tray full of hay munching away is what my bunnies love most! I did try using hay racks years ago, but found there was no point. They eat much more when they can sit in it. Bales are really cheap so does it really matter if some is wasted?? I use a bale a week, and I only have 3 rabbits! :) I also buy nicer hay online which they get in a pile away from their litter trays...

Bales are really cheap so does it really matter if some is wasted??

It does for my bin, it's overflowing every fortnight mainly made up of rabbit waste! I may start separating the soiled hay from the rest of the litter and putting the hay in the garden waste bin, hopefully that won't stop the bin men emptying it.

It does for my bin, it's overflowing every fortnight mainly made up of rabbit waste! I may start separating the soiled hay from the rest of the litter and putting the hay in the garden waste bin, hopefully that won't stop the bin men emptying it.

Ahh, we are lucky, they accept all rabbit waste in our garden bins so the whole lot goes in, megazorb, poo, wee & hay

I like those mph feeders, the one with the 3 holes in it can they reach all the hay or is there always some left in the bottom they can't reach?

They can reach as Phoebe tends to just put her front paws onto the edge of the holes and reach in, it's really rather cute.

They also do these litter trays, and can either put bars like mine or do holes like in the feeder.

e916389208e6689ac658034dbf206247.jpg

I mainly use the feeder and hay tower for their expensive hay as I don't particularly want to waste that. But their litter tray just has a decent quality meadow hay that doesn't matter if they waste

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sitting in a tray full of hay munching away is what my bunnies love most! I did try using hay racks years ago, but found there was no point. They eat much more when they can sit in it. Bales are really cheap so does it really matter if some is wasted?? I use a bale a week, and I only have 3 rabbits! :) I also buy nicer hay online which they get in a pile away from their litter trays...

Yes I do both too. A pile in their litter tray, and also a big bowl of hay and readigrass, and fresh grass, elsewhere :D

My garden bin just gets filled with hay! :) and I still have to go to the tip once a week with a boot full of bunny waste!! The guys at the tip know me now, haha!

Back