• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen lip. Is it myxi?

Thinking of you and Fiver for your vet visit tomorrow. (((((Vibes)))))
My Fiver sends your Fiver (gentle) nose bumps. :) xxxx

Well he's been out all day today. His lip is no better but certainly no worse. My Mam actually brought up a possibility. ...he bar bites the mesh in the hutch (they have 6ft hutch attached to a 6x6ft run to go out in during the day) he has actually bent the mesh and a little piece is missing. Wonder if he's caught it on a sharp bit? I'll have to cover that up before they go out next.
He does, however, have a bit of "crustiness" around both edges of his lip. :/ I think he'll definitely be popping to the vets tomorrow for a check upnin case it's some kind of infected injury or sting.

I hope all goes well at the Vet. Your Mum's theory seems plausible. If it is infected the Vet may open it up. If he/she does dont be surprised if a lot of pus comes out.

Well, we have an appointment for 3:45 today with a rabbit vet. It's the earliest one I can get. Fiver has definitely deteroriated. He was absolutely fine yesterday but as the evening wore on he became quiet. He was still eating but just not as enthusiastically. He even jumped on the bed and flopped against my leg. This isn't completely abnormal behaviour but he usually only flops when I'm giving nose rubs and as soon as the nose rubs stop, he hops off. He flopped against my leg without me even touching him and it immediately set off warning signs in my head. As I said before he is more clingy and cuddly when he's feeling poorly.
This morning I've woken up and he didn't even come out from under the bed to greet me. He hasn't done his usual sitting on my chest/stomach to wake me up and he looks quite flat. He's eating but slowly and he didn't even come over for his meds. :( He's not eaten any hay but he's had some bramble leaves and some dandelion leaves as well as a fenugreek crunchie and a handful of pellets.

I am really starting to worry now. He is overdue for his acupuncture and perhaps he's just sore in his back end but this seems too coincidental with the swollen lip. It doesn't look worse today but it's not really gotten better, either.

Thank you for all the well wishes. I do hope he's going to be ok. :(

Well, we have an appointment for 3:45 today with a rabbit vet. It's the earliest one I can get. Fiver has definitely deteroriated. He was absolutely fine yesterday but as the evening wore on he became quiet. He was still eating but just not as enthusiastically. He even jumped on the bed and flopped against my leg. This isn't completely abnormal behaviour but he usually only flops when I'm giving nose rubs and as soon as the nose rubs stop, he hops off. He flopped against my leg without me even touching him and it immediately set off warning signs in my head. As I said before he is more clingy and cuddly when he's feeling poorly.
This morning I've woken up and he didn't even come out from under the bed to greet me. He hasn't done his usual sitting on my chest/stomach to wake me up and he looks quite flat. He's eating but slowly and he didn't even come over for his meds. :( He's not eaten any hay but he's had some bramble leaves and some dandelion leaves as well as a fenugreek crunchie and a handful of pellets.

I am really starting to worry now. He is overdue for his acupuncture and perhaps he's just sore in his back end but this seems too coincidental with the swollen lip. It doesn't look worse today but it's not really gotten better, either.

Oh what a worry. Poor you and poor Fiver.

Sending loads of vibes for this afternoon's appointment x

If the swelling is hurting more now that may be why his behaviour has changed. If it is infected it may be about to 'pop'. Sending more vibes for him xx

I can feel the worry in your post. :( Sending more vibes your way for Fiver and you. I hope it will be something easily sorted. xxxxx

Thanks for the replies.

Fiver is booked in for a dental tomorrow. The vet thought the swelling of his lip looked more like dermatitis or something similar. It does look a lot better now, though. She said him needing a dental could be a reason for the swelling. His teeth aren't horrific but he does have spurs and the fact that he's been acting clingy the past few days means they are bothering him. He's to have some zantac today and his usual meds and I booked him in for tomorrow. The sooner the better tbh.

I'm so, so worried about this dental. He has managed to go a full year without needing a dental but he's 9 now and with everything that's happened lately, I'm really anxious about it. He's still OK and just hopped off the windowsill to greet me, although he's not very enthusiastic about his hay.

Aww bless you both :(

Sending loads of vibes for his dental tomorrow. My Timmy is 8 now and really tiny (900g) and he had a dental a few weeks ago which I was so worried about but he came through fine. Deep breaths xxx

I know he'll probably be fine but recently I've lost so many of my animals that I just feel like if something can go wrong then it will. :(

Its natural to worry & of course that gets worse as they get older. Sending loads of vibes for Fivers dental tomorrow

Sending loads of vibes for Fiver's dental tomorrow. I hope he bounces back very quickly.

Back