• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen lip. Is it myxi?

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
:( I'm having a panic. Yesterday I noticed Fiver's top lip was a tiny bit swollen. I had a good look and it seems like he's somehow rubbed the fur off his tip lip and round the side of his mouth. It just looked redder and tiny bit swollen compared to the other side.

UMcqUtV.jpg

Sorry if the image is huge. I'm doing this on my phone and pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

Since Fiver seemed fine in himself I figured I'd just wait and see.
Well today it does look worse and more swollen. I'm starting to worry that it's nodular myxi. :'( I have no experience with it and have no idea if this is what it looks like but I can't think what else would cause this. The vets aren't open until Tuesday and the OOH are pretty useless, however if it gets any worse I won't hesitate to take him. He's fine in himself and he is eating with no problem. He's on 0.5mls of metacam twice daily for arthritis just in case that has any bearing on the matter.

ceuq6zd.jpg

sorry this will be a brief reply, i am poorly

to me it looks like that swelling may be full of pus. It does not look like Myxi, but i could be wrong

have you checked that his genitals are not swollen at all ?

do his ears feel unusually warm to touch ?

Sorry I was just about to respond to your post yesterday evening, when our internet went down and stayed down until this morning.

It doesn't look like Myx to me.

Same question as Janes's - Have you checked his genitals?

I would consider that it could be Treponema http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

I have had a rabbit with this and the genitals were not affected. Treatment was Penicillin injections, which was very effective in clearing it up.

Sorry I was just about to respond to your post yesterday evening, when our internet went down and stayed down until this morning.

It doesn't look like Myx to me.

Same question as Janes's - Have you checked his genitals?

I would consider that it could be Treponema http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

I have had a rabbit with this and the genitals were not affected. Treatment was Penicillin injections, which was very effective in clearing it up.

Yes, Treponematosis is another possibility. Early this morning on another thread I posted this image showing an example of the symptoms

53ECrFx.jpg

It's not developed a blistered appearance. Do he need to see an emergency vet? He's still absolutely fine in himself. His genitals look normal and there's no other lumps or bumps.
I thought of rabbit syphilis but doesn't he need to be in contact with another rabbit to get that? Will the others get it if it is that?

53ECrFx.jpg

It's not developed a blistered appearance. Do he need to see an emergency vet? He's still absolutely fine in himself. His genitals look normal and there's no other lumps or bumps.
I thought of rabbit syphilis but doesn't he need to be in contact with another rabbit to get that? Will the others get it if it is that?

Not necessarily, it can be contracted at birth and the Rabbit shows no clinical symptoms- ie is an asymptomatic carrier. Symptoms may occur at times of stress/concurrent illness

I am now actually wondering if he has been stung ?

I did think that but he's been inside and I've only had a few crane flies in my room. Certainly no wasps/bees/ants etc. As long as it isn't myxi, I can deal with anything else. He's 9 and the thought of him contracting myxi is just terrifying for me. He is still perfectly fine and eating. I would think he'd be in pain if he was stung?

I'll continue to monitor it. I want to avoid the OOH vets because I really dislike them and I doubt they can do anything apart from give me abx, I presume? I have zantac and metacam in stock as well as cisapride..I think. So if anything happens I am prepared.

Not necessarily, it can be contracted at birth and the Rabbit shows no clinical symptoms- ie is an asymptomatic carrier. Symptoms may occur at times of stress/concurrent illness

I am now actually wondering if he has been stung ?

I too think this is a possibility. I think I can see a puncture mark towards the top of the swelling.

Yeh, I saw that. I have no idea how, though. :/ They were out all day on Tuesday and Wednesday, I think. I only noticed the swelling on Friday evening. Would it take two days to develop?

Yeh, I saw that. I have no idea how, though. :/ They were out all day on Tuesday and Wednesday, I think. I only noticed the swelling on Friday evening. Would it take two days to develop?

No, but a wasp could have gotten into the room without you noticing, especially a half dead wasp that was on the carpet. Fiver may have had a sniff at it and it stung her. That happened to poor Morse yesterday x

No, but a wasp could have gotten into the room without you noticing, especially a half dead wasp that was on the carpet. Fiver may have had a sniff at it and it stung her. That happened to poor Morse yesterday x

Perhaps, my window was open all day. I only cleaned the whole room on Friday evening and never saw a wasp or anything. It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to eat it or something lol.
I hope it is just a sting and nothing more serious. Why do these things happen on bankholiday weekends!?

I hope little Morse is OK. Moxxie tried to eat a wasp the other day, fortunately my Dad shouted and she jumped and ran off lol.

Perhaps, my window was open all day. I only cleaned the whole room on Friday evening and never saw a wasp or anything. It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to eat it or something lol.
I hope it is just a sting and nothing more serious. Why do these things happen on bankholiday weekends!?

I hope little Morse is OK. Moxxie tried to eat a wasp the other day, fortunately my Dad shouted and she jumped and ran off lol.

Morse is fine now thanks :) Hopefully the swelling on Fiver's nose will start to go down now x

Just coming to this late :)

I agree with Omi, it could well be syphilis. A sting is possible, and the best thing I think is to keep an eye on it, and everywhere else on him, to make sure nothing new develops and that it doesn't get worse.

Yes, sod's law about the Bank Holiday!

Good luck. I hope he's OK x

I wonder about a spider bite? Do you have any types there that could cause that kind of swelling? Or he could be sensitive to spider venom?

Whatever it is I hope he feels better soon. Poor bub. I empathize with your vet situation...nothing more frustrating.

Jane, sorry to hear Morse was stung. :( Shadow used to eat the darned things. :roll:

I think the swelling has gotten better a bit! I do hope so. It's definitely no worse. He's still absolutely fine. There aren't really any spiders here that could bite a rabbit. We have ants downstairs in the conservatory (much to the dismay of my Dad who has tried to remove them several times haha) I guess an ant can give a nasty bite so maybe there are spiders that can affect a rabbit? I honestly have no idea. We'll wait and see how things go. He's due his acupuncture anyway so he'll be at the vets next week regardless if he's fully recovered or not.

7inltFd.jpg

This is is him now. He's definitely feeling under the weather because he's being super clingy and cuddly. Please excuse the leopard print dressing gown, not exactly my choice of colour but it's so comfy! I really hope this is nothing to worry about. I can't lose my boy. :( He means everything to me.

I know what you mean about the out of hours vets, they were really awful when my Daughter's hamster was obviously dying. I did, however, have to go to them as Louie was so ill and it was a Sunday. They were actually lovely to us after he was PTS.

I had a bunny with Syph, but it didn't look like your bunnies lip, she just developed a kind of horn but maybe it can present in different ways?

I hope it continues to improve or at least gets no worse until you can visit your own vet x

I think the swelling has gotten better a bit! I do hope so. It's definitely no worse. He's still absolutely fine. There aren't really any spiders here that could bite a rabbit. We have ants downstairs in the conservatory (much to the dismay of my Dad who has tried to remove them several times haha) I guess an ant can give a nasty bite so maybe there are spiders that can affect a rabbit? I honestly have no idea. We'll wait and see how things go. He's due his acupuncture anyway so he'll be at the vets next week regardless if he's fully recovered or not.

7inltFd.jpg

This is is him now. He's definitely feeling under the weather because he's being super clingy and cuddly. Please excuse the leopard print dressing gown, not exactly my choice of colour but it's so comfy! I really hope this is nothing to worry about. I can't lose my boy. :( He means everything to me.

Although the camera angle is different from what I can see the swelling does seem to have reduced. I am leaning more toward it being a sting.

7inltFd.jpg

This definitely looks better, but it's a shame he's not feeling better yet.

Sending loads of get better vibes. I hope he gets better and you don't need to see the vet in advance of your acupuncture appointment :)

Well he's been out all day today. His lip is no better but certainly no worse. My Mam actually brought up a possibility. ...he bar bites the mesh in the hutch (they have 6ft hutch attached to a 6x6ft run to go out in during the day) he has actually bent the mesh and a little piece is missing. Wonder if he's caught it on a sharp bit? I'll have to cover that up before they go out next.
He does, however, have a bit of "crustiness" around both edges of his lip. :/ I think he'll definitely be popping to the vets tomorrow for a check upnin case it's some kind of infected injury or sting.

Well he's been out all day today. His lip is no better but certainly no worse. My Mam actually brought up a possibility. ...he bar bites the mesh in the hutch (they have 6ft hutch attached to a 6x6ft run to go out in during the day) he has actually bent the mesh and a little piece is missing. Wonder if he's caught it on a sharp bit? I'll have to cover that up before they go out next.
He does, however, have a bit of "crustiness" around both edges of his lip. :/ I think he'll definitely be popping to the vets tomorrow for a check upnin case it's some kind of infected injury or sting.

I hope it's not infected VB.

Good luck for the vets tomorrow :)

Back