• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Book List

Lazylops

Alpha Buck
So, I thought as people ask, here is what i think is a jolly good book list for bunnie owners, old and new:

The Domestic Rabbit. JC Sandford - has everything.

Textbook of Rabbit Medicine. Frances Harcourt-Brown (I bow) - expensive but worth the outlay.

manual of Rabbit Medicine and Surgery - Paul Flecknell. Not for the faint hearted, but interesting insight, good to impress your vet with if you happen to have it in your bag on a viist. :wink:

Rabbit Health, Husbandry and Diseases - virginia Richardson. Easy use format for that first point of reference.

Living with a Houserabbit. Dykes and Flack. The essential guide for those wanting a house bunny or two, three, four....

House Rabbit Handbook. Marinell Harrimen. American viewpoint.

Why Does My Rabbit. Anne McBride. For the psychologists amongst you.

How to have a relaxed rabbit. Emma Magnus. Handy hints and tips

Rabbitlopeadia A Complete Guide to Rabbit Care. Meg Brown and Virginia Richardson. Easy access guide to rabbit care.

Rabbit Nutrition. Virginia Richardson. fascinating for the introduction of the natural wild rabbit diet.

Stories Rabbits Tell. Davis and Demellio. Moving and insightful look at rabbits in our society.

The Problem with Rabbits. A Sanctuaries Modern Approach.
Taking it one step further: Compiled by Pat Rees.

The European Rabbit - The History of a Successful Coloniser. Harry V Thompson. A look into the history and evolution of our wild cousin.

The Private Life of The Rabbit. R M Lockley. Fascinating study into the life of wild rabbits, some tricky bits but well worth reading.

Rabbits and their History. John Sheail. Again the history of the rabbit from the wild to domestic pet.

The Rabbit. J E Harting. Ancient, written in 1898. Eye opener.

and finally not forgetting the most eloquent of our Lagomorph partners, the Hare.

Wild Hares. Henry Tengner. Insight into the Ecology of the Hare.

Leaping Hares. not sure of author as friend borrowing it. Beautiful poetical look at life of the Hare.

The Encyclopaedia of Mammals. David McDonald. Covers all mammals but has a fascinating section on Lagomorphs.

Hare About the House. Cecil Webb. Touching Story of a Hare living in a house with another house bunny. So house rabbits aren't such a new thing afterall.

To be Published.
The supported book of the RWA.

The Rabbit Whisperer by Ingrid Tarrant. (thats it, wife of the infamous Chris Tarrant of those who remember, Tizwaz, and now Who Wants To Be a Millionaire)

Most of these are available from Amazon, but if you have any problems locating a copy of any of the above, let me know.

Happy Reading

Annie xx
Happy Reading

Thats a handy list so I have stuck it to the top of the topics so it doesn't get burried.

Thank you :D

there is also Rabbit Health in the 21st Century, A Guide for bunny owners.

And

King Murray, Tail of a Royal Tail.

and also....

Stories Rabbits Tell by Susan E Davis and Margo Demello

which I have just started reading after buying it on impulse from Amazon. It's about the history of wild rabbits around the world, pet rabbits, myths, stories etc. It does have chapters about rabbits for meat (which I plan to miss out) and rabbits in medical research which I am going to try and read.

I have made a note of all these wonderful book suggestions.....this little list will keep me reading and out of mischief (for a few hours anyway!).
It is nice to meet fellow book worms on this Forum too :lol:

I love books Adele, as soon as a new or old rabbit book is made known to me I have to have it... :lol: not that I'm obsessive or anything..... :shock:

"I work in an Ottakars bookshop branch p/t and am compelled to buy any rabbit book that comes in.

hang on...thats not my message! It is another version in part with an answer tacked on to the end in my name!!
Huge confusion I was talking about the title 'Funny Bunnies' Laurie Frankel

I've found the majority of the books in the list but there's a few I cant locate.

Hare About the House.
The Encyclopaedia of Mammals
Leaping Hares
Wild Hares
The Rabbit
The Private Life of The Rabbit
The European Rabbit
Rabbit Health, Husbandry and Diseases
The Domestic Rabbit.

Louise

bunnyhuggger said:
You're very welcome Mandy.................I think.......... :? whadido? :?

Sorry Lynda, stick me in the corner and put the dunce hat on me... I should have said thank you Annie.......... :oops:

Anyhoo that'll teach me trying to take a sneeky look at the forum when I'm at work :lol:

Hello
they are all available on Amazon, apart from The European Rabbit, and The Rabbit which are sadly at the moment out of print.

annie

Hi, I have just ordered Why does my rabbit? from amazon. I am hoping that it will help me understand my Jonesey a little better. He nipped me last night :( He is becoming quite territorial whilst he is in his hutch, yet he can be so lovely when he is out and about. This is the second time he has done this :cry:

Hey Ange, how you getting on with Why does my rabbit? Its a brilliant book lots of interesting stuff.
I have a copy of The Private Life of the RAbbit by RM Lockley although I have never got round to reading it, anyone else read it? Is it as good as it sounds??

Angela

Hi Angela, I've read The Private Life of The Rabbit by RMLockley, I found it wonderful it really opens your eyes to wild rabbit behaviour, and its relationship to our domestic pet rabbits behaviour, well worth a go.

annie

Hi There, I have got about forty pages to go. It has been a really interesting read and I have learnt what feels like an enormous amount. From what the author says I think Jonesey is showing signs of learnt aggression. I have started to implement some of the techniques that are suggested and feel comfortable with the outcomes so far. From what I have read I am not at all surprised that he behaves the way he does when you consider that he has been passed from pillar to post all his life, poor thing. I am just thankful that he is not as naughty as some of the buns she talks about.

Ange said:
Hi, I have just ordered Why does my rabbit? from amazon. I am hoping that it will help me understand my Jonesey a little better. He nipped me last night :( He is becoming quite territorial whilst he is in his hutch, yet he can be so lovely when he is out and about. This is the second time he has done this :cry:

awwwwwwwwww Mubby has nipped me about a dozen times!! lol i dont take it personally!! :D i take as he is trying to tell me he doesnt like what im doing ie. putting my hand in his cage taking out his dish when he's in thier!! .... so i change it and now i wait til he is out before i take it , no more nips :D

or stroking his back feet!! he likes the front stroked but touch the back and he'll nip ya!! again i dont take it personally!! he's just telling me not to do it :D

Its was my birthday the other day and I got quite a bit of money as it was my 21st.

I've just spent two hours trawling round Amazon and have spent £130.00 on 12 Rabbit books! :shock: :shock:

Cant wiat for them to come! :)

Louise

Back