• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs.....arrrrh!

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
Hi,

So every evening my rabbits get a tea of green's (veggies, herbs, forage etc). This summer I've tried to grow some for them (rather than buying it all) and I haven't been able to feed any yet because the slugs are eating them before they really even grow! When I go out on an evening I see loads of them and they're huge- they're obviously getting lots of nutrition from my bunny garden!

Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I don't really want to put pellets down because we have a dog and I wouldn't want him eating a dieing slug. It's not just the eating that's driving me mad I hate the slimy trails too!

Any ideas gratefully welcomed.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Remove them in the evening when you find them. Over several evenings this will have a big impact. What you do with the slugs is up to you, although be aware that if you just throw them over the fence, they will probably find their way back.

As you mention you have a dog; slugs go mental for dog food. Actually, it's what a lot of people use who keep tropical/exotic species of slugs and snails as they go mad for the protein. If there's any way they're getting access to a dog bowl or similar, then that's what it's more likely to be :wave:

Nope, none near dog food (thankfully). I think I'll have to start collecting them up on a night and taking them across the road to the park. They properly grosse me out- such strange creatures!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Remove them in the evening when you find them. Over several evenings this will have a big impact. What you do with the slugs is up to you, although be aware that if you just throw them over the fence, they will probably find their way back.

My slugs ask to be thrown into my neighbour's garden and I am always wiling to oblige :lol:

Alternatively, what would you suggest I do with them?

The slugs I gather go into the big barrel with rabbit pee and poop, after a month or so they so serve too as vertilzer for the pasture.

No point in throwing them anywhere, they come back. To bury them is pointless too, they are back after a few hours.

Due to very late frost his year it's better than last year, don't know how to add pictures, but it was horrible.

My slugs ask to be thrown into my neighbour's garden and I am always wiling to oblige :lol:

Alternatively, what would you suggest I do with them?

Whatever you feel happy doing with them :) The slugs in my garden would not ask to be thrown next door, as there are far more tasty things for them to eat in mine :lol: Also as a means of stopping them eating the crops, it would be pointless as, as Preitler says, they will return, probably by the next evening.

What I do, is to identify what type of slug it is, as not all slugs eat vegetables. If it is a species that eats vegetables, then the slugs get their heads cleanly chopped off with scissors. The bodies then get left on the ground for predators to feed on. I dislike having to do this, but if I didn't there would be absolutely no point in attempting to grow vegetables :( In the areas of the garden where vegetables are grown, we have a massive slug problem. Hopefully my method is a quick death for the slug and also does not harm other wildlife (like putting out pellets).

Whatever you feel happy doing with them :) The slugs in my garden would not ask to be thrown next door, as there are far more tasty things for them to eat in mine :lol: Also as a means of stopping them eating the crops, it would be pointless as, as Preitler says, they will return, probably by the next evening.

What I do, is to identify what type of slug it is, as not all slugs eat vegetables. If it is a species that eats vegetables, then the slugs get their heads cleanly chopped off with scissors. The bodies then get left on the ground for predators to feed on. I dislike having to do this, but if I didn't there would be absolutely no point in attempting to grow vegetables :( In the areas of the garden where vegetables are grown, we have a massive slug problem. Hopefully my method is a quick death for the slug and also does not harm other wildlife (like putting out pellets).

Is the glass of beer method an old wives tale ? Not that I use it, I leave the slugs to get on with whatever slugs do !

Is the glass of beer method an old wives tale ? Not that I use it, I leave the slugs to get on with whatever slugs do !

Beer traps are certainly effective in attracting and killing slugs. In my experience though, when we have nice green, juicy, vegetables on offer, I can clobber 200 + slugs per evening using my method. Beer traps under the same circumstances would catch around 20-30 and I'm not sure that it is a quick death for them.

I think you are right, a chop with the scissors is the best thing for them. But I know I could never do it.

Is there any other method. Preferably one for a sissy like me? (sorry!)

Beer traps are certainly effective in attracting and killing slugs. In my experience though, when we have nice green, juicy, vegetables on offer, I can clobber 200 + slugs per evening using my method. Beer traps under the same circumstances would catch around 20-30 and I'm not sure that it is a quick death for them.

Yes I don't think it is. I have netting over my veggies, but sometimes the little ones get in. And become much bigger ...

Yes I don't think it is. I have netting over my veggies, but sometimes the little ones get in. And become much bigger ...

That's because they come up out of the ground not enter from above or from the side :lol: And you know why they become much bigger :lol:

I think you are right, a chop with the scissors is the best thing for them. But I know I could never do it.

Is there any other method. Preferably one for a sissy like me? (sorry!)[/QUOTE]

Dip in boiling water? Put salt on them ? I would find either of these more distressing though. Not practical really for the quantities I would have to deal with.

I also quite like going for a walk round the garden with a torch in the dark :) Sometimes hear Tawny Owls.

I used to collect mine up on rainy days & take to the local cemetery :shock: How far will they travel?

Pouring salt on them is actually very slow, and very excruciating death. It essentially messes with their osmosis - as they take salt into their body the water leaves the body - so they desiccate, slowly. You'd also need to watch birds eating the remains - salt is no good for birds, either. Unfortunately there's no real easy way to kill them that isn't a tad 'gory'. I think you have it right Omi in chopping the heads off and leaving the bodies for the birds. That way at least their bodies aren't being wasted. The only thing I would add is once chopping the heads off, crushing the heads for good measure. Beer traps drown them, again very slow. :(

Humane slug traps are a good idea, you might not catch hundreds of the ******* but even tens of them is better than none. A good method for those who can't bring them selves to harm them. X

Back