• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fibafirst query

Pixsmudge

Young Bun
Hi everyone,
I just did a quick search to see if there are existing posts about a query I have with these Fibafirst sticks but couldn't find anything so I apologise if this has come up before.

I've recently been introduced to these by a friend, my buns have tried them and seem happy to eat them. My lop is very gas prone and doesn't get enough fibre I'm sure so I'm desperately trying to boost it for him to reduce his gas issues (recent trip to the emergency vet was the last straw). They are provided with farm meadow hay, ings and timothy hay from hay for pets, timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk and green oat hay and somehow this doesn't intrigue him enough to eat loads. His teeth have been checked recently by two different vets and they're fine, he's just a lazy rabbit. Not to mention he costs me a fortune with forage packs. I'm willing to try these sticks out to see if they make a difference but he is also a calcium bun and I noticed the alfafa stalks in the Fibafirst.
My question is if its a significant amount to worry about contributing to his previous calcium problem? I believe the calcium content of Fibafirst is the same as whats in Burgess Excel adult pellets..anyone feed the Fibafirst to their calcium buns?
Has anyone seen an improvement in digestion for perhaps trickier rabbits?
Thank you for any information you can give me, I just feel so much for my bunny and am trying my hardest to reduce these occurrences for him.

Hi there,

I've also got a fussy one who had an issue with bladder sludge late last year so I feel your pain! The calcium content of the sticks is 0.8% (the same as Burgess pellets), so not too high - but it all depends on how sensitive he is when it comes to calcium. I've tried the sticks with mine (he completely ignored them!) but I do feed Burgess pellets and he has managed well with them and their calcium content.

Have you tried freshly picked grass? It does exactly the same job as hay, but is a lot tastier and has more moisture in it which is ideal for sludge bunnies!

Don't loose hope, we were very back and forth early this year but he's so much better now! He's even started eating hay out of my hand when I offer it to him!! :D

Back