• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He's not pooping properly :(

bananarama

New Kit
So my beloved bunny Freddy isn't doing so well. He's not been right since yesterday but I've held off going to the vet because my nearest one is a long drive away and Freddy freaks out during car rides.

He's drinking normally, and he's moving around as he normally would. His appetite is reduced but I did manage to tempt him into devouring half a large bunch of fresh parsley this morning so he hasn't stopped eating entirely. He is going to the loo but he's not pooping as much as he normally would, and when he does they aren't uniform. He's showing no signs of pain (teeth grinding, shoving his belly to the floor).

I rang then vet and they said I could bring him in if I wanted to get him checked but they weren't insisting that I go. Any advice? I don't know if the car ride would be too stressful for him.

UPDATE: I got him to the vets about 45 mins ago. He has GI Stasis onset by a burr on his teeth or something like that. Going in for an operation tomorrow, he'll be coming home Saturday. My vet was lovely and very supportive. He's on Recovery liquid feed for tonight, plus hes been injected with strong painkillers that'll last for the next 24 hours.

It is always a positive thing when the Vets can locate the cause when you're bunny is not acting normally.
Sending you positive vibes for a successful operation and a quick return to normal.
My Raven had a similar experience a few months ago and it took a few days after the dental for him to get back to being himself.

Thank you for the positive vibes :)

I'm just glad to be getting him sorted out! Poor baby was famished he wolfed down his liquid food. He's been much perkier since the painkiller.

UPDATE: I got him to the vets about 45 mins ago. He has GI Stasis onset by a burr on his teeth or something like that. Going in for an operation tomorrow, he'll be coming home Saturday. My vet was lovely and very supportive. He's on Recovery liquid feed for tonight, plus hes been injected with strong painkillers that'll last for the next 24 hours.

You are so brilliant for following advice and going to the vet! Lots of people wouldn't!

Good on you - please report back on your bunny and keep in touch :wave:

Thank you for the positive vibes :)

I'm just glad to be getting him sorted out! Poor baby was famished he wolfed down his liquid food. He's been much perkier since the painkiller.

It is always a good sign when they want to eat. He is lucky to have such a caring person who noticed the issues early before he develped stasis or got dehydrated and weak.

It is always a good sign when they want to eat. He is lucky to have such a caring person who noticed the issues early before he develped stasis or got dehydrated and weak.

Indeed he is. Even on here I have seen posts from people claiming never to have taken a Rabbit in gut stasis to a Vet. I hope that Freddy will soon be 100% better x

Thank you guys so so much for your words of encouragement. I'll keep up to date with how he goes. I'm so glad I asked what to do here I may not have been to the vet as soon as I did, and it doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened to him!

Thank you guys again <3 x

Thank you guys so so much for your words of encouragement. I'll keep up to date with how he goes. I'm so glad I asked what to do here I may not have been to the vet as soon as I did, and it doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened to him!

Thank you guys again <3 x

If a bunny doesn't eat, you must go to the vet as you so wisely did! :D

You are right, it doesn't bear thinking about! x

Sending Freddy loads of vibes. I hope he will soon be feeling completely back to normal.

Back