• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is bonding going OK? Any tips?

LuCharlie

New Kit
Hi - I have not had any rabbits since childhood. I have got 2 Bunnies that I am currently trying to bond. We have had Lulu for nearly 2 weeks - she is a spayed female from the RSPCA and is lovely. We got Charlie (neutered male) yesterday from another rescue. He has had one failed rehoming so I really want this to work for them both! Firstly I put Charlie in a small hutch next to the run to let them see and smell each other. I then put them both in a temporary small run together for about 4 hours yesterday. After a rocky start (chasing, fur flying etc) they has been no aggression. Charlie will hop over and sniff. Often Lulu will hop away and she is being quite cool but there has been some grooming. Last night I moved them into the run which is connected to the hutch by tunnels (I had cleaned it out as best I could whilst they were in the temporary run). They are now cohabiting and we left them overnight. There was a lovely couple of incidents where they were actually lying together yesterday, but mostly they are keeping a distance or sometimes one is in the hutch and one is in the run. Is this ok? No aggression and Charlie does not seem to be pestering Lulu too much, though he is definitely keener than her. Shall I just let them be whilst they are being like this or should I do something else? I feel guilty for Lulu as up to now this was her domain. I also worry as I am pretty sure that one would have slept in the hutch and one in the run (it has a roof and I put the carrier in there with straw etc so they would have been ok but still). Tips welcome!!

Sounds like it's going well. I'd leave them together if you've had no fighting.

Keep an eye on them as they may start trying to figure out who is the boss. Fur pulling and a little chasing/humping is completely normal. Any rolling around on the floor together etc is bad and must be stopped right away.

Check them multiple times a day for any injuries just in case but it sounds like a good match.

If you feed them both in the same area, it encourages natural bonding behaviour - eating is a social thing for rabbits. Scatter the food on the floor so they don't have to struggle getting into the bowl.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with daphnephoebe, your bunnies seem to be doing really well. Your girl should relax in the next day or 2. Don't feel guilty! Your bunnies will be really grateful for company of their own kind

Thanks for the replies. I feel a bit more encouraged, and things have progressed well today I think. When it got a bit hotter outside there was a couple of hours of them snuggling in various positions! Lulu seems a bit keener which is good. Fingers crossed it continues. I would just love it if they snuggled up in the hutch tonight but that might be a bit much to expect!

Here they are earlier today (if pic works)

WP_20160825_11_37_38_Pro_zpsun7cv66g.jpg.html

Last edited:
I am trying to use photobucket but failed! I have added a pic of Charlie and Lulu as my avatar instead. Charlie is the Dutch. Thanks for the reassurance - if it is going well it is thanks to this forum as it was the main source of my homework prior to getting the bunnies!

I am trying to use photobucket but failed! I have added a pic of Charlie and Lulu as my avatar instead. Charlie is the Dutch. Thanks for the reassurance - if it is going well it is thanks to this forum as it was the main source of my homework prior to getting the bunnies!

They are beautiful ! not quite big enough though ;)

Thanks guys. Yes I am pleased they seem to be getting on. I just took them to the vets for vhd2 vaccine and a bit of unavoidable stress bonding. They are now snuggling in the run again yay!

Back