• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oat Wheat and Barley Hay.

shivbo2014

Young Bun
Hi! Looking for some advice please. I have just ordered some Alfalfa King Oat Wheat and Barley Hay for a bit of a change. Miffy usually has Timothy Hay I just wondered if I have to introduce new hay slowly or can I just switch to the new one?? Thanks !![emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. No there's no real reason for the change other than a bit of variety, she loves her hay so thought it would be nice to give another type a try and I've read that rabbits tend to like oat hay??

My buns love this! Weirdly they like all the little seedy bits more than the actual hay.. But I normally give them a handful every day just for bit of variety along with their normal hay! :)

Is there any reason you just give them a handful each day? Is it OK to use as there main hay? As once the Timothy has run out I was just going to give her this one...

As long as she likes both then it doesn't really matter - my lot are not happy with the new hay (Meadow Hay) but I can't get their favourite which is much coarser with Timothy - they can be very fussy!

It's great as a main feed, and bunnies are built to be opportunistic hay feeders so they can handle the variety. Mine LOVE the oat, it's their absolute fave but I have a grass allergy and it brings me out in hives :/ I would use it as their main hay otherwise.

Brilliant thanks for the replies. I'm actually really excited to give it to her. Love it when she gets all excited when she knows her hay is coming lol.

Is there any reason you just give them a handful each day? Is it OK to use as there main hay? As once the Timothy has run out I was just going to give her this one...

Hiya.. Honestly no particular reason at all! I have very fussy and spoilt rabbits. They have 2 different types of hay they eat normally and this is just an extra one.. To give them some variety! xx

Back