• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to combi vaccine

P.S. Jacks Jane, the vet said the issue is behavioural rather than an issue with his adrenal gland, because he has always been like this and it hasn't occurred over the last couple of years. Do you think the implant will still be an option? Did your buns have the adrenal problem or is it just how they are? x

P.S. Jacks Jane, the vet said the issue is behavioural rather than an issue with his adrenal gland, because he has always been like this and it hasn't occurred over the last couple of years. Do you think the implant will still be an option? Did your buns have the adrenal problem or is it just how they are? x

If it's 'behavioural' then an implant is unlikely to make much difference. I'd suggest that you have a blood test done to check his testosterone levels. A CT scan would be needed to make a definitive diagnosis of adrenal gland hyperplasia. Both of my Bucks were treated symptomatically as both presented in the classic way of a case of adrenal gland hyperplasia- onset of symptoms in an older Buck who was castrated at puberty. So a new 'symptom' as opposed to one that has always happened.

Was he neutered by your Vet ? Another possibility could be that he was cryptorchid and only one testicle was removed. Or more rarely that he was born with polyorchidism (born with more than two testes) and he still has one of them retained in his abdominal cavity.

Some cases of adrenal gland hyperplasia can be congenital and I assume that would mean that symptoms present early in life

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1611996

I think it would be best to talk all this through with your Rabbit savvy Vet. All I can do is give an account of what happened for my two Bucks. But their issues are not exactly the same as your Buck's so the treatment they had may not be appropriate in your Buck's case.

The Vet may suggest starting with a blood test and if that does not show an abnormally high level of Testosterone I guess that his hypersexual behaviour may be a learned habit with no pathological cause.

Last edited:

Why do you think it hasn't occurred over the last two years?

Thank you. I see what you mean, if its only behavioural the implant will not work. But its hard to believe that this behaviour has nothing to do with hormones. The behaviour has been persistent all his life MightMax. Right from when I got him at 6 months old. Before neutering he was crazy and used to run up my legs and pee on me over and over again. He was out of control! which makes me think perhaps it is congenital?
So, blood test first, lets see what that shows. I will also ask again about the neutering. The vet already said that he would have done the job properly but I will mention what you have said about this Jacks Jane x

Thank you. I see what you mean, if its only behavioural the implant will not work. But its hard to believe that this behaviour has nothing to do with hormones. The behaviour has been persistent all his life MightMax. Right from when I got him at 6 months old. Before neutering he was crazy and used to run up my legs and pee on me over and over again. He was out of control! which makes me think perhaps it is congenital?
So, blood test first, lets see what that shows. I will also ask again about the neutering. The vet already said that he would have done the job properly but I will mention what you have said about this Jacks Jane x

I think that is what I would do xx

Ah right. When you said it hasn't occurred over the last couple of years I took that to mean his behaviour :)

Good luck with the blood test :thumb:

Back