• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good Veg for rabbits?

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies have always had loads of forgage food, hay, and just a wee bit of apple, carrot, green cabbage and curly kale to top it up. Now I have Mr. Beau Brambles - and I can't keep up with his appetite :lol: I won't have enough dried forage for over winter, and it's being eaten before can dry it, and I know that when he was temporarily housed with my vet he had veg, so now I need to find a bit more variety for him (and try and introduce a wee bit more for Lady Jane too).

Things we regularly have in the house are spinach, cabbage (white, green and red), peppers and cucumber - are these all ok? Also, what else would you recommend?

Thank you!

In addition to forage, we feed cabbage, spinach, kale, cucumber, coriander, parsley, basil, mint, carrot tops, radish tops, broccoli, cauliflower and romaine lettuce (not all at once
[emoji2] )
I am drying some forage for the winter, but I suspect I will only have sufficient to give them a little bit of variety once or twice a week

Mine have been known to 'fight over' (i.e. share-steal) cucumber :roll: They also get carrot peelings and ends, and celery ends and middles: I pull about a stalk of celery off per day for me, leaving a middle eventually, which I put in a saucer of water on the kitchen side and feed it to them when I feel like it/remember! In winter I sometimes supplement with broccoli, cauliflower leaves (mine don't like the florets), kale... But we've got nigh-on an actual ton of willow dried now (willow trees don't like the windy weather!), and our local brambles haven't lost leaves over the last two winters: even the hazel was leafy in some places well into January 2016!

I've got a feeling spinach is a bit calcium-y, like kale, so check wee output and feed carefully. Try and find a good supply of grass you can pick as well? We're lucky that we have one of those near the rest of the forage :D

In addition to forage, we feed cabbage, spinach, kale, cucumber, coriander, parsley, basil, mint, carrot tops, radish tops, broccoli, cauliflower and romaine lettuce (not all at once
[emoji2] )
I am drying some forage for the winter, but I suspect I will only have sufficient to give them a little bit of variety once or twice a week

Thank you :) They have loads of herbs growing, which they love - but the herb garden mostly dies down in winter, and I've not managed to pick much to dry lol!

Mine have been known to 'fight over' (i.e. share-steal) cucumber :roll: They also get carrot peelings and ends, and celery ends and middles: I pull about a stalk of celery off per day for me, leaving a middle eventually, which I put in a saucer of water on the kitchen side and feed it to them when I feel like it/remember! In winter I sometimes supplement with broccoli, cauliflower leaves (mine don't like the florets), kale... But we've got nigh-on an actual ton of willow dried now (willow trees don't like the windy weather!), and our local brambles haven't lost leaves over the last two winters: even the hazel was leafy in some places well into January 2016!

I've got a feeling spinach is a bit calcium-y, like kale, so check wee output and feed carefully. Try and find a good supply of grass you can pick as well? We're lucky that we have one of those near the rest of the forage :D

I grow grass in pots - LJ tends to ignore it (she doesn't do 'pick your own', but will eat it if I cut it for her...)

We do have a huge goats willow tree, and I'm drying some of that for winter, and I have some thorn-less blackberries in pots, which I'm hoping will keep leafy over winter. I have hazel bushes growing, but we've had such a dry summer down here that the leaves haven't done as well as usual, and my dog roses, which had loads of leaves last year, had all the leaves eaten practically overnight by caterpillars this year :(

Must get some winter pansies! They always go down well :)

There are a large amount of different tree leaves, which can be fed to rabbits. Like Willow they can be fed either fresh or dried. I have used this site as a guide http://kanin.org/node/190. I also feed the twigs/branches in winter, which keep them amused for a long time as they strip the bark.

There are a large amount of different tree leaves, which can be fed to rabbits. Like Willow they can be fed either fresh or dried. I have used this site as a guide http://kanin.org/node/190. I also feed the twigs/branches in winter, which keep them amused for a long time as they strip the bark.

Thank you - I already use forage foods, but I don;t have a huge amount of storage any more and Beau has a big appetite so they won't last all winter. What I'm asking for is recommendations for veg and maybe fruit that I can use as extras for his diet.

Hi, do any of you five your bunnies tomatoes?

Tomatoes (only the fruit, not the rest of the plant!) I give as an occasional treat.

I feed foraged food typically, but do also give my lot cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce (not iceberg), kale, celery, chard, spinach, peppers, carrot tops and peelings, parsnip peelings, beetroot tops, apple, banana, tomato, pear, cucumber (esp in the summer - full of water!), pumpkin/butternut squash (esp for poorly buns), pineapple, mange tout/sugar snap peas, baby corn... and my mind is going blank. Not all at once of course, some only once in a blue moon. :lol:

My bridge girl, Galinda, also liked kiwi. Elphie, who I also offered it to, hated it.

Can they eat banana peel? Just discovered they like banana, was wondering if the skin was edible. They hate carrots and apple, love their kale, parsley and basil.

I usually feed spring greens every day :)
Other vegetables I like to feed up to a couple of times (depending on the vegetable) a week are cavolo nero, curly kale, parsley, coriander, taragon, dill, basil, mint, celery (chopped) rocket, romaine lettuce, brocolli leaf and carrot (they usually get a small amount of carrot once a week or so in with their normal veg). When available fresh dandelions and grass get added in ;) And safe fruits as an occasional treat.
Can they eat banana peel? Just discovered they like banana, was wondering if the skin was edible. They hate carrots and apple, love their kale, parsley and basil.
I'm not sure about the peel. They tend to get sprayed with pesticides anyway (even organic) so personally I'd avoid them. Banana itself is perfectly fine as an occassional treat :D Mine like it but I wouldn't say it's their absolute favourite and they get bored with it quickly.

My buns love pointed (sweetheart) cabbage, curly kale, carrot and parsnip peelings, swede, celeriac. They also love herbs, ie parsley, coriander, rosemary, basil, etc. They have a quarter of an apple each once a week. They have a large portion of veg, between each pair every evening. I feed a handful of pellets in the morning and evening between each pair. All this is supplemented with timothy hay or ready grass every day. They all usually stay fit and healthy and have a good run around the garden each day. Each pair have a large dog bowl full of fresh water in their hutches each day.

Back