• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cecotrophs or diarrhoea ?

Earlsmum

New Kit
I would welcome any advice as Earl has seen 6 different vets now. He keeps leaving piles of what look to me like diarrhoea but the vet has told me it is uneaten cecotrophs - not sure of spelling, sorry. He is losing weight but is crazily hungry and I am getting increasingly desperate as I am stressed clearing up after him and also paying out for treatment that is achieving nothing - he has had antibiotics and painkillers and a dental operation for spurs .. still nothing has helped. I live in Chester and I cannot find an expert in rabbits.

Hello there. I am sorry you are having this problem. You could start a new thread entitled Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in Chester and someone will most likely point you in their direction. Has any of the Vets suggested worming your bunny? Could you also tell us the age of bunny and what his diet consists of mainly?

Earl is 6 years old and is perfectly happy and lively other than this problem. I will try to attach a picture of his faeces from today - he will leave piles of these around his room. He is a house bunny and has a bonded partner, Jasmine a 3 year old Lionhead.

Hi,

I've just posted in the other thread about local vets:

"Cranmore for me too with lots of complex stuff. Robin is great and a bunny -owner himself.

OOH is covered by Chestergates referral hospital (same site). I wholeheartedly recommend them too".

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thank you SJH - yes, Earl has met Robin when I took him to the OOH hospital. He was given antibiotics. I am thinking now he will need a blood test or scan

Thank you SJH - yes, Earl has met Robin when I took him to the OOH hospital. He was given antibiotics. I am thinking now he will need a blood test or scan

The vets at Cranmore have, literally, saved the life of two of my bunnies. They've also gone above and beyond for my big bun in terms of the research they've done too. I hope you find some answers soon. :thumb:

Back