• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Laboured Breathing

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So Codys gas has reduced a good bit. He isn't distended and his abdomen is a bit smaller and softer. But he is breathing a bit harder and faster. He isn't mouth breathing or lifting his head but his nostrils r flaring a bit and I can see his ribs moving in and out faster. Are any of his meds causing this ?? Or is the 10mg Tramadol not strong enough? Does he need vetergesic? ? He has passed more good shaped poo some joined together by hair.

So Codys gas has reduced a good bit. He isn't distended and his abdomen is a bit smaller and softer. But he is breathing a bit harder and faster. He isn't mouth breathing or lifting his head but his nostrils r flaring a bit and I can see his ribs moving in and out faster. Are any of his meds causing this ?? Or is the 10mg Tramadol not strong enough? Does he need vetergesic? ? He has passed more good shaped poo some joined together by hair.

Hi Nicky

What did the OOH vet say? I wouldn't give vetergesic (unless vet recommends) unless really necessary, as it will make him sleepy and not help with breathing difficulties x

Hi Max , OOH vet said we could up the tramadol to 3 times a day so I can try him on another dose at 3am. She said breathing could be from Discomfort, or metabolic issues? ? I also questioned if it was ok for cisapride 3 times a day as I have only ever given twice a day and she said that was ok also. He gets his meds again at 1am. He took 5ml critical care at 10.30pm which he was eatting off the syringe - he never does that and I had left a few strands of coriander and he ate them. He is obviously hungry but he still is bit swollen so am being conservative. But I want to give him more food but don't know when I should. Poops still coming but he is lying stretched out alot on the warm water bottle. I guess I have to be patient

Hi Max , OOH vet said we could up the tramadol to 3 times a day so I can try him on another dose at 3am. She said breathing could be from Discomfort, or metabolic issues? ? I also questioned if it was ok for cisapride 3 times a day as I have only ever given twice a day and she said that was ok also. He gets his meds again at 1am. He took 5ml critical care at 10.30pm which he was eatting off the syringe - he never does that and I had left a few strands of coriander and he ate them. He is obviously hungry but he still is bit swollen so am being conservative. But I want to give him more food but don't know when I should. Poops still coming but he is lying stretched out alot on the warm water bottle. I guess I have to be patient

Yes, with the food/eating issue, I think (if you trust your vet) you should do exactly as told. Difficult if Cody is hungry, poor lamb x

I wondered about the breathing being due to discomfort. Metabolic issues - well that can cover a multitude of sins and your vet could be more specific as to what he/she meant.

Sending vibes for overnight. For you both :love:

Well wishes for Cody - I'm inclined to think its very positive he wants to eat. I hope you manage a little sleep x

Thank u Joey, I hope so too. I am due to give a 3rd dose of tramadol at 3am bit I wonder should I ring OOH vet to get vetergesic? ? I don't think the tramadol is covering the pain relief or should I give tramadol at 3am and then wait til I speak to my rabbit vet in morning? Max she did say something about acidic stomach fluids being absorbed into blood and breathing was reaction to this or something like that but I said he is on tyagamet so that less likely. I just want him to be in as little pain as possible.

Thank u Joey, I hope so too. I am due to give a 3rd dose of tramadol at 3am bit I wonder should I ring OOH vet to get vetergesic? ? I don't think the tramadol is covering the pain relief or should I give tramadol at 3am and then wait til I speak to my rabbit vet in morning? Max she did say something about acidic stomach fluids being absorbed into blood and breathing was reaction to this or something like that but I said he is on tyagamet so that less likely. I just want him to be in as little pain as possible.

How is Cody doing now ?

Morning Jane. I gave him tramadol at 3am. He seems a tiny bit brighter. But still a bit swollen. He has been passing poop quite regularly but only a few more since 3am but that could be due to extra tramadol slowing things. His wee back legs r a bit wobbly. He was having weakness in one leg before this started. He never had the best legs unfortunately so I hate seeing him wobbly. His breathing "maybe" a tiny bit less strained. When I am doing belly rubs he does the odd wee sigh - ,I am being gentle. I feel I am starving him though :( :( he is due his other meds again at 9am . Does it just take time to get rid of the gas ,??

Morning Jane. I gave him tramadol at 3am. He seems a tiny bit brighter. But still a bit swollen. He has been passing poop quite regularly but only a few more since 3am but that could be due to extra tramadol slowing things. His wee back legs r a bit wobbly. He was having weakness in one leg before this started. He never had the best legs unfortunately so I hate seeing him wobbly. His breathing "maybe" a tiny bit less strained. When I am doing belly rubs he does the odd wee sigh - ,I am being gentle. I feel I am starving him though :( :( he is due his other meds again at 9am . Does it just take time to get rid of the gas ,??

It really depends on what the exact cause is and if it can be resolved without surgical intervention. Did the Vet explain how a distended stomach can actually effect the Rabbit's breathing as the swollen stomach can prevent the lungs from fully expanding. So the effort to breathe becomes greater. Is Cody on a covering antibiotic ? (to ward off any secondary lung infection caused by the decreased lung function). Sorry if you have mentioned this already.

No Jane he didn't mention about the lungs but I had read this. No he isn't on an antibiotic. Vet said very last resort to operate but that outcome was poor which I had read also . I would not put Cody through that to be honest. We r still early days into treatment are we not ?? Or should his stomach be back to normal by now ?? His ears are warmer this morning which is good. Thank u for keeping Cody in ur thoughts Zoobwc.

No Jane he didn't mention about the lungs but I had read this. No he isn't on an antibiotic. Vet said very last resort to operate but that outcome was poor which I had read also . I would not put Cody through that to be honest. We r still early days into treatment are we not ?? Or should his stomach be back to normal by now ?? His ears are warmer this morning which is good. Thank u for keeping Cody in ur thoughts Zoobwc.

Did the Vet do a blood glucose test and an abdominal Xray ? Again, apologies if you have already said this. A high blood glucose reading would be indicative of a true obstruction, an abdominal Xray would confirm this. Are you able to feel any fecal pellets in his intestines now ? As he has passed a few they may have been what had passed through before the partial obstruction occurred. If he has more fecal pellets in his intestines by now that is likely to indicate that the partial obstruction is breaking down. Given that he has not had any real food input any new fecals must be from the obstructive matter that is now breaking down.

Did the Vet mention admitting Cody ? It's just that IV fluids are usually pretty important. SQ fluids are unlikely to be absorbed when a Rabbit is very poorly.

You are doing all you can for Cody and maybe if you could speak with a Vet again today they will offer you some more advice and reassurance. You could ask about admission and see what they think.

Yes I thought the breathing difficulties may be caused by the stomach bloating, but I didn't want to worry you as you really need to hear this type of thing from a vet.

It's so difficult with having to use the OOH vet - are you happy with them? They sound knowledgable.

I'm really rooting for you both. I know how you're feeling, and on top of being exhausted, that's really difficult to even think straight xx

Well spoke to my rabbit vet and he said breathing issues could be from tramadol but Cody has been on tramadol for a couple of months with no issues as I told him he was skittish and he said that it can cause euphoria and personality changes. Codys stomach fails nearly normal again and he at about 6 dandilion leaves and a piece of coriander which sounds good but he is still brea thing fast. Jane no xray was done or blood glucose - he has correctly diagnosed the partial blockagee in Cody before and Rosie so I was confident enough that way. Though I am still worried as he is still very flat and the breathing. Does tramadol break down too quickly - I am concerned it's not enough pain relief. He is due it again at 3 pm last dose 3am but I was thinking of going to the OOH vet who I saw on Friday which was quite good to see about trying vetergesic. I am worried he is in pain and I vowed after Lance pain would be the last thing they had to have. Rabbit vet said Tramadol should be enough but when Cody had his blockage last year he was on it and was fine - that blockage was a bit lower down though. Jane the fluids iv I could get done locally with this vet whichecked would be less stress on him. So should I try vetergesic? ?

Back