• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think Cody Has Bloat :(

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Came home this evening to find my poor boy hunched and with a swollen stomach. Spoke to my vet who has advised zantac , in facility, tramadol and metacam. No cisapride as we can't be sure no blockage. She said to feed small amounts little and often. We r doing gentle belly rubs. I have given 2ml of excel pellets in water - my critical care is out of date. He is on a heat pad . They would be closed by the time I drove to them. I am so scared for him. They open 9am tomorrow morning so I hope he can hang in there til then. The other very rabbit savy vet is working tomorrow which is good. My poor boy has fought bravely through so much and he has been in good form and was fine and eatting this morning. I'm so upset. What else can I do for him til morning? ?

I'm so sorry to hear this. Do you not trust your OOH vet? Sending vibes for Cody.

No my local OOH vet wouldn't be the best :( I may get them just to give sub q fluids that my rabbit vet said to do . I have given him a couple of ml by mouth . And will do every hour.

No my local OOH vet wouldn't be the best :( I may get them just to give sub q fluids that my rabbit vet said to do . I have given him a couple of ml by mouth . And will do every hour. Thank u Omi.

I was going to suggest fluids, but I wasn't sure whether you should be giving syringe feeds and fluids, if you suspect he might have a blockage. I really haven't got enough knowledge of bloat to advise on this. Also I'm not sure why your vet has advised that you give him both Tramadol and Metacam:?

Came home this evening to find my poor boy hunched and with a swollen stomach. Spoke to my vet who has advised zantac , in facility, tramadol and metacam. No cisapride as we can't be sure no blockage. She said to feed small amounts little and often. We r doing gentle belly rubs. I have given 2ml of excel pellets in water - my critical care is out of date. He is on a heat pad . They would be closed by the time I drove to them. I am so scared for him. They open 9am tomorrow morning so I hope he can hang in there til then. The other very rabbit savy vet is working tomorrow which is good. My poor boy has fought bravely through so much and he has been in good form and was fine and eatting this morning. I'm so upset. What else can I do for him til morning? ?

Hi Nicky

So sorry to hear this!

What I would do is keep him warm, as you're doing (turned colder here). I would also do the tummy rubs and give Infacol. Have you any, or is there a late opening supermarket where you can get some? One ml every hour for three doses, and tummy rubs - gentle. It's absolutely fine to give this and also water.

Watch him for poos and see how he does. Sending you loads of good get better vibes xx

Thanks everyone. Took Code to a different local vet and she seemed very good. She said no blockage and is gas though he feels more bloaTed than when Rosie had gas. I got Infacol earlier Max and he has had 1ml. Vet gave about 90ml Sub Q fluids. I have some liquid Emeprid but it was opened a few months back. She said to give 0.5ml. Does it go out of date or just loose efficiency? ?

Thanks everyone. Took Code to a different local vet and she seemed very good. She said no blockage and is gas though he feels more bloaTed than when Rosie had gas. I got Infacol earlier Max and he has had 1ml. Vet gave about 90ml Sub Q fluids. I have some liquid Emeprid but it was opened a few months back. She said to give 0.5ml. Does it go out of date or just loose efficiency? ?[/QUOTE

I don't know about that but brilliant news it isn't a blockage x

I'm so pleased that you managed to get Cody seen by a good vet. It's such a relief when you see a vet who knows about rabbits:) It's also really good news that there's no blockage. Makes it so much easier to treat and I always feel more confident managing something that I've experienced before. I have always found fluid therapy to be really helpful.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about the date of the medicine.

Sending loads more vibes for Cody. I hope he will soon improve.

Thanks everyone. Took Code to a different local vet and she seemed very good. She said no blockage and is gas though he feels more bloaTed than when Rosie had gas. I got Infacol earlier Max and he has had 1ml. Vet gave about 90ml Sub Q fluids. I have some liquid Emeprid but it was opened a few months back. She said to give 0.5ml. Does it go out of date or just loose efficiency? ?

Fluids are a really good idea :D No blockage is fab news as well!

The emperid should be absolutely fine to use :thumb:

Glad to hear it's doesn't sound like a blockage, must be such a relief!

Topping up the vibes for your gorgeous boy, come on Cody! Xx

I know all cases are different but when Bailey had a build up of gas last weekend, we tried to get him to move around slightly to help, and also fluids really helped. I'm guessing you've tried him on herbs or something else fresh to try and tempt him!

Last edited:
Says no blockage Max but under his right arm his intestines are pushing out a bit so not sure if gas can do this or not. She said that that area felt fluidy and not dry whicheck she said is good? ? Does that sound right ?? I will probably be taking him to my usual vet in morning first thing though as I think cisapride helps alot in these cases and want the go ahead. Have just given him some food 5ml . Will feed again in 4 hrs time. Its a smaller amount than I usually give but I am still afraid until I see my other vet tomorrow.

Hi Ruthy. Just saw ur post. Sorry to hear Bailey was poorly last week. Glad he is feeling better. Yes Cody has a variety of foods in front of him but no interest :( his stomach is quite firm and I am unsure if I should syringe feed because what if it is mild bloat ??? I don't want to do more harm as I have read not to force feed if stomach distended and Codys is. I am going to give just 5ml food at 4am and 5ml again before I leave for vets and hope that little bit helps but doesn't hurt. He has passed about 7 or 8 poos which is good. Long night can't sleep at all :(

Hi Ruthy. Just saw ur post. Sorry to hear Bailey was poorly last week. Glad he is feeling better. Yes Cody has a variety of foods in front of him but no interest :( his stomach is quite firm and I am unsure if I should syringe feed because what if it is mild bloat ??? I don't want to do more harm as I have read not to force feed if stomach distended and Codys is. I am going to give just 5ml food at 4am and 5ml again before I leave for vets and hope that little bit helps but doesn't hurt. He has passed about 7 or 8 poos which is good. Long night can't sleep at all :(

Nicky, sorry about your long night :(

Frances Harcourt Brown - excellent (if retired) bunny vet - says that Infacol will do no harm if blockage/bloat/stasis.

I hope all goes well at the vet's tomorrow. Thinking of you :wave:

Back