• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WWYD- bonds and health

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I have discussed this briefly with my Vet and been thinking it over and over. I don't know what to do.

I have 4 groups of Rabbits - 3 mf pairs and a quad (3f, 1m)

Elphie, my oldest rabbit at just over 6.5 years has had issues with weight on/off all year. Her Vet regards her as being skinny, but otherwise healthy. I think some of the issue comes from initially grieving her sister, who died in January (after an infection, then being unable to regain weight. She died after a cold snap. :( ) So I'm scared of history repeating itself this winter. We separate her for food from the rest of the quad, but she's still blatantly thin. However, there may still be a small element of being outcompeted for food though.

Currently, Athena and Apollo are inside. River and Takumi are in a 6x2ft double hutch with a 6x8 run. Persephone and Morpheus are in a 4x12ft run with a nearly finished half shed/shelving jump hutch. The quad are in a complex with a 6x2 hutch, 4x2 hutch, 6x8 run and 4x10 run, attached by a 6ft pipe. The final outdoor enclosure won't be ready this year. :(

The quad were indoors but the rexes (Helios and Selene) find the carpet irritates their hocks. The quad has almost 2 pairs within it anyhow - the rexes and Elphie/Morning. But all 4 are well bonded. Elphie gets love from everyone, Helios (bottom of the pack) gets rare grooms from Selene/Morning. But as I've said, I don't know if Elphie could handle another winter outside.

Do I break the quad and try and bond one of my other pairs with the rexes?The rexes are very laid back. Do I leave things as they are and keep desperately trying to put weight on Elphie?

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place. :(

I'm sorry I can't offer anything helpful in the way of choosing what to do.
I'd keep trying to get her to gain weight - upping pellet intake, increasing veg by taking her out little and often for feeding until you decide what you think is best.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You might not be able to get any more weight on Elphie if there is an underlying problem, unfortunately, so I would be inclined to keep things as they are as long as she is happy living with the others. If she was on her own she could have constant access to food but would it make any difference? And she wouldn't have the company then.

I have discussed this briefly with my Vet and been thinking it over and over. I don't know what to do.

I have 4 groups of Rabbits - 3 mf pairs and a quad (3f, 1m)

Elphie, my oldest rabbit at just over 6.5 years has had issues with weight on/off all year. Her Vet regards her as being skinny, but otherwise healthy. I think some of the issue comes from initially grieving her sister, who died in January (after an infection, then being unable to regain weight. She died after a cold snap. :( ) So I'm scared of history repeating itself this winter. We separate her for food from the rest of the quad, but she's still blatantly thin. However, there may still be a small element of being outcompeted for food though.

Currently, Athena and Apollo are inside. River and Takumi are in a 6x2ft double hutch with a 6x8 run. Persephone and Morpheus are in a 4x12ft run with a nearly finished half shed/shelving jump hutch. The quad are in a complex with a 6x2 hutch, 4x2 hutch, 6x8 run and 4x10 run, attached by a 6ft pipe. The final outdoor enclosure won't be ready this year. :(

The quad were indoors but the rexes (Helios and Selene) find the carpet irritates their hocks. The quad has almost 2 pairs within it anyhow - the rexes and Elphie/Morning. But all 4 are well bonded. Elphie gets love from everyone, Helios (bottom of the pack) gets rare grooms from Selene/Morning. But as I've said, I don't know if Elphie could handle another winter outside.

Do I break the quad and try and bond one of my other pairs with the rexes?The rexes are very laid back. Do I leave things as they are and keep desperately trying to put weight on Elphie?

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place. :(

Firstly as rabbit ages go, I don't think 6.5 is old enough to be skinny and unable to gain weight.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but has she had a dental (a proper one, not just a look with an otoscope) to check teeth are all OK?

If the answer is yes, has she had blood tests to see if there's any underlying organ failure, e.g. kidney? Has she been treated for EC recently?

Then to answer your question, if she wouldn't survive outside, and if she's been tried and tested as healthy, then I would separate her for a couple of hours a day (twice if possible) and present her with a hugs pile of good food and fibre so you know whether she's eating plenty. If you find she is eating well when on her own, then she may not be getting enough when feeding in the group.

Then you can make a decision as to what to do over the winter.

This (or some variation of it) is what I would do myself - I think!

Thank you for the advice. Elphie's teeth are ok - she has one dental spur that doesn't need treating at the moment. It really doesn't stop her from eating, and she's never needed a dental (thank goodness.) I can't afford to test her bloods right now unfortunately - I've just been hit by RHD2 vaccines/rabbit enclosure building so finances are tight. But I am continuing to isolate her a couple of times a day for a good feeding which she seems to appreciate.

Here's some photos of my poor wee girl. I just hope I can get her in a better state, but I do still worry that history will repeat itself. :(

P1070043_zps1c2twlkc.jpg

P1070047_zps9bvs8av2.jpg

(This is the 4x2 hutch; it's ideal for isolating her, but DEFINITELY not all the space the quad has.)

Last edited:
Just thought I'd update-

Elphie has been steadily putting on weight and is beginning to look and feel much better again. I think she will probably stay with the quad outside this winter. It doesn't change that I'll be keeping a very close eye on her. I will continue to (try and) isolate her for feeds and give her extra. Only problem is, she's clearly feeling better and being more active and stubborn again. :lol:

She's a very special girl. :love:

Back