• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary incontinence after spay

EyerollChamp

Alpha Buck
So Luna has been a bit subdued since her spay yesterday (totally normal in my experience), has been eating very little though it's not at the point of syringe feeding yet, and drinking just enough. Her poo is a good size and consistency.

Problem is, she keeps weeing all over herself. A LOT. It's still only the day after so I'm not quite panicking yet but I am worried. I gave her a proper bum wash this evening with some shampoo as she was soaked and stinking, and after cuddling her dry in a towel she perked up a bit.

I've given her her usual large litter tray with some soft hay in to try and keep her dry. Is there anything else I can do? Anyone experienced anything like this? Should I call the vet in the morning?

So Luna has been a bit subdued since her spay yesterday (totally normal in my experience), has been eating very little though it's not at the point of syringe feeding yet, and drinking just enough. Her poo is a good size and consistency.

Problem is, she keeps weeing all over herself. A LOT. It's still only the day after so I'm not quite panicking yet but I am worried. I gave her a proper bum wash this evening with some shampoo as she was soaked and stinking, and after cuddling her dry in a towel she perked up a bit.

I've given her her usual large litter tray with some soft hay in to try and keep her dry. Is there anything else I can do? Anyone experienced anything like this? Should I call the vet in the morning?

Yes I have come across this in rescue rabbits. There are various theories/reasons why it might happen. One is that the immune system has been weakened and the EC that was under control has been 'let loose' as it were. Causing incontinence issues.

Another way we managed the situation is to give Diethylstilbestrol (DES), which is a synthetic form of the female hormone oestrogen. It wouldn't be forever - just until the incontinence resolves.

It could of course be a bacterial infection.

In short, yes, ring your vet :D

More info:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

Oh no, I hope it is nothing to be concerned about but best to ring the vets. You and Luna don't deserve any extra worry! xx

Yes I have come across this in rescue rabbits. There are various theories/reasons why it might happen. One is that the immune system has been weakened and the EC that was under control has been 'let loose' as it were. Causing incontinence issues.

Another way we managed the situation is to give Diethylstilbestrol (DES), which is a synthetic form of the female hormone oestrogen. It wouldn't be forever - just until the incontinence resolves.

It could of course be a bacterial infection.

In short, yes, ring your vet :D

More info:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

Oh gosh, I hope it isn't EC :(

Thank you MightyMax and Liz. I'll phone my vet first thing xx

I've had no experience of this. However, I have a different possibility to throw into the mix :). I have recently had an operation and so I know what the effects are of having had loads of fluid therapy during the operation :lol: I also know how weak the body feels for the first 24 hours or so after the operation. What I'm saying is, had I been a rabbit, I think I would have ended up in a similar state :lol:

Sending loads of vibes for Luna. I really hope it's something very temporary.

Oh gosh, I hope it isn't EC :(

Thank you MightyMax and Liz. I'll phone my vet first thing xx

In my bones I feel that E.C. is the least likely explanation.

Your vet may want you to monitor Luna for another 2/3 days to see whether it clears up of it's own accord xx

I know in dogs post spay they can have some urinary incontinence for a fews days. It's sometimes because the vet catches the bladder while poking around finding the ovaries etc.

I'd call and discuss with your vets in the morning. As it's only one day post spay I wouldn't be overly worried just yet. I assume she's on pain relief as well?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I know in dogs post spay they can have some urinary incontinence for a fews days. It's sometimes because the vet catches the bladder while poking around finding the ovaries etc.

I'd call and discuss with your vets in the morning. As it's only one day post spay I wouldn't be overly worried just yet. I assume she's on pain relief as well?

I agree,also if Luna was pumped full of supportive fluids her urine output will be far greater than usual initially. In the first 24-36 hours after a spay a Doe can also occasionally pass some blood in their urine for the same reason daphnephoebe mentioned. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know, but the incontinence is very likely to settle on it's own over the next 48 hours. Hopefully a chat with the Vet will put your mind at ease :)

Thank you. Yes she's on metacam, 6 drops twice daily.

I agree,also if Luna was pumped full of supportive fluids her urine output will be far greater than usual initially. In the first 24-36 hours after a spay a Doe can also occasionally pass some blood in their urine for the same reason daphnephoebe mentioned. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know, but the incontinence is very likely to settle on it's own over the next 48 hours. Hopefully a chat with the Vet will put your mind at ease :)

That's a really good point Jane and one I hadn't considered. Thanks :)

Thanks everyone. She's back to her usual bitey, destructive self today and her bum looks nice and clean so I'm going to monitor her closely and speak to the vet tomorrow at her post-op check.

Thanks everyone. She's back to her usual bitey, destructive self today and her bum looks nice and clean so I'm going to monitor her closely and speak to the vet tomorrow at her post-op check.

Glad to hear that she seems to be doing well now :D Tell her she needs a nice dry bum for her special photo shoot ;)

Back