• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit has no appetite.

KezzaB

New Kit
Hello,

About 2 weeks ago we took our house rabbit, Houster, to the vets after he stopped eating and looked really uncomfortable. The vet took a look in his mouth and found that his molars were not properly aligned and this had caused spurs that were digging into his cheeks so he had an operation to file them down.
We were given some rabbit recovery mix that we fed him via a syringe (although he didn't like it very much and it seemed like he was spitting most of it out!)
After a few days of attempting syringe feeding he began nibbling on spring greens and hay. Since then his appetite has not improved and he is eating far far less than he used to. He has not touched his nuggets since the operation - we have tried offering him a softened version but he doesn't seem interested.
We have been giving him all the foods that he usually loves like: herbs (mint,parsley,thyme), carrot and carrot tops, kale and dandelion leaves but he sort of bats them away (almost attacking them) with his front paws, occasionally he will nibble them but he is not eating a substantial amount at all. We've seen him eating hay but not sure how much he is having compared to usual. The only thing he is eating a lot of is cardboard. He is pooping but it is very small.
So we're not quite sure what to do at this point, whether we should take him back to the vets in case there is something else going on and the teeth were not the main cause or just wait a bit longer to see if he gradually goes back to normal? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of other foods we could try in the meantime please let us know.

Thank you!

It sounds like another trip to the vet. The spurs may have caused some soft tissue damage in his mouth - which would be sore and possibly infected. He may need additional treatment such as pain relief and a gut stimulant. Or there could be something completely different going on. He needs checking out, preferably today. Leaving him like this isn't going to achieve anything beneficial. In the meantime, I would try to get him to take some syringed recovery food or one of the veg based Stage 1 baby foods - the ones in a pouch are easy to feed straight from the pouch.

I agree - I think a vet visit is in order.
I'd remove all cardboard from him so he can't eat this as it can cause more problems.
A baby food a lot of people use is Ellas Kitchen - plain carrot

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies and advice - we are taking him to the vets tomorrow morning.We are trying the baby food you suggested and he seems to like it more than the recovery mix, so I think this will tide him over until his vet visit tomorrow. Thank you again!

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago we took our house rabbit, Houster, to the vets after he stopped eating and looked really uncomfortable. The vet took a look in his mouth and found that his molars were not properly aligned and this had caused spurs that were digging into his cheeks so he had an operation to file them down.
We were given some rabbit recovery mix that we fed him via a syringe (although he didn't like it very much and it seemed like he was spitting most of it out!)
After a few days of attempting syringe feeding he began nibbling on spring greens and hay. Since then his appetite has not improved and he is eating far far less than he used to. He has not touched his nuggets since the operation - we have tried offering him a softened version but he doesn't seem interested.
We have been giving him all the foods that he usually loves like: herbs (mint,parsley,thyme), carrot and carrot tops, kale and dandelion leaves but he sort of bats them away (almost attacking them) with his front paws, occasionally he will nibble them but he is not eating a substantial amount at all. We've seen him eating hay but not sure how much he is having compared to usual. The only thing he is eating a lot of is cardboard. He is pooping but it is very small.
So we're not quite sure what to do at this point, whether we should take him back to the vets in case there is something else going on and the teeth were not the main cause or just wait a bit longer to see if he gradually goes back to normal? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of other foods we could try in the meantime please let us know.

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about Houster. What a worry!

I'm glad to hear he's going to the vet tomorrow. Sometimes the vet will nick the skin inside the mouth, the delicate mucous membranes, with the equipment used. It's not always obvious to them, but sometimes when the rabbit begins to eat it causes pain. Very occasionally it will become infected and you'll need antibiotics.

However, if you've a good vet, they should be able to help him.

Good luck vibes! xx

Thank you for your replies and advice - we are taking him to the vets tomorrow morning.We are trying the baby food you suggested and he seems to like it more than the recovery mix, so I think this will tide him over until his vet visit tomorrow. Thank you again!
Good luck at the vets tomorrow. You could always soften some of his usual pellet food with warm water and mix it into the baby food if you want to give him more nutrition.
My girls will normally eat that mix out of a bowl.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi. How is Houster now? I have experienced a similar thing twice now with one of my bunnies post dental.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!
Sorry it has been soo long :|
I'm pleased to say Houster seems to have made a full recovery :D!
The vet had a quick look in his mouth and couldn't see any obvious problems so gave him more pain relief and some fluids to boost him. I think it was coming up to another week and he still wasn't back to normal so we were considering taking him to a different vet but all of a sudden, almost overnight, his appetite picked up! We couldn't believe how quickly he went from eating barely anything to eating all of his vegetables and nuggets + extras we were giving him - he was probably compensating for all those weeks surviving on the bare minimum! He will be having teeth checkups every 6 months to keep on top of any developing spurs.
Thank you all once again for all your help and advice :D!

Hi everyone!
Sorry it has been soo long :|
I'm pleased to say Houster seems to have made a full recovery :D!
The vet had a quick look in his mouth and couldn't see any obvious problems so gave him more pain relief and some fluids to boost him. I think it was coming up to another week and he still wasn't back to normal so we were considering taking him to a different vet but all of a sudden, almost overnight, his appetite picked up! We couldn't believe how quickly he went from eating barely anything to eating all of his vegetables and nuggets + extras we were giving him - he was probably compensating for all those weeks surviving on the bare minimum! He will be having teeth checkups every 6 months to keep on top of any developing spurs.
Thank you all once again for all your help and advice :D!

Great news :wave:

Thanks so much for updating! xx

Back