• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Storage

Christine662

Warren Scout
Hi

What is the best way to store the hay for the bunnies. It arrives in plastic, but wont that make it damp with condensation?

Thanks

Christine x

I buy bagged hay for the guinea pigs (baled hay decanted into large plastic bags). I just make sure I keep the top of the bag open to let it breathe and I also keep it in a dark cupboard. If it gets in direct sunlight, it'll sweat and get damp/mouldy.

You could always take it out of the plastic bag and store in an old pillow case. Cotton pillow cases are completely breathable and ideal for storing hay.

Our hay arrives in large plastic bags too and like Mackers I keep ours in a dark cupboard (under the stairs). I haven't noticed any issues. I do like the pillow case idea though x

We (gradually) transfer the hay from the large bags to decent sized plastic boxes which are easier (for me) to handle as they aren't as heavy

I buy baled hay from a horse feed place, I keep mine in a plastic storage shed.

Thanks for replies.

Mine is in plastic in garage which is dark. Ill be sure to leave the top open though.

Christine x

I put mine in small amounts into pillow cases. But I have also heard of people using duvet covers for large bales.

Ours stays in the plastic bag with the top open and left in a cupboard where it stays dark.
Haven't had any issues so far.

I buy bags of B&M hay and also meadow hay from the horse suppliers, both come in plastic bags.

Years ago I bought a wheelie bin from Homebase and I take the hay out of the plastic and store it in the bin.

Back