• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cuddles has a mucky bum!

spinecho

Warren Scout
Hi all.

Our 1 year old male black minilop, Cuddles has recently (past week) started to get a mucky bum!

He's pooing ok, nice and solid poos :D and we've not changed diet (Jolly Roger - http://www.copdockmill.co.uk/Our-Brands-CM-Small-Animal.shtml) which both he and his wifebun, Clover have been on since birth (the breeder we got them from feeds all her bunnies on this).
He has plenty of hay to graze on and most days they are both in the run grazing on grass!

The other day we picked him up to check on his bum (for flystrike etc...) and noticed some poo around his bum, matting his fur. We washed if off and even had to cut some fur :(
He's a placid lad and let us do this all OK.
Checked on him again today and....mucky bum! In all other aspects he's a lively lad, but does like to flop most of the day, especially with the hot weather (we do provide lots of shady areas for them both).

Clover's bum is perfectly clean!!

I think he's just not cleaning himself properly, perhaps as he's lazy or just cannot be bothered in the heat as it's a recent thing, but wanted to check if anyone else has had this problem.

Oh..just to add, no diet changes but we have relocated their hutches / runs due to gardening work; don't know if relevant!

Thanks

Cuddles' favourite position!

And here he is with the love of his life, Clover!

Last edited:
Sounds as though he is eating too much Muesli and not enough hay. Hay should make up 80%-90% of a Rabbit's diet and now-a-days it is generally considered best to feed a pelleted type of food rather than a Muesli.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/01/22/muesli-pellets/

Although there may be specific situations where-by a Muesli feed is more appropriate. Selective feeding can occur when Rabbits are fed on Muesli, they eat the low nutrition tasty bits and leave the boring bits which are actually more nutritious. If they are fed too much Muesli a day they are unlikely to eat anywhere near enough fibre (hay) and the end result (literally!) can be a mucky bum.

These links may give you some useful information and dietary advice:

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.asp

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/diet.html

Thanks...as both cohabit and are fed together, any tips on getting Cuddles to cut down?
Currently they are fed 2 small bowls of muslei a day, should we cut this down?

I guess Clover's not as greedy and eats more hay!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Blimey...just read the 1st link.... I'm now convinced Cuddles is an overweight, arthritic bunny with bad teeth and is couped up in a tiny space in his own poo.... Nightmare stuff!![emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32]

Thanks...as both cohabit and are fed together, any tips on getting Cuddles to cut down?
Currently they are fed 2 small bowls of muslei a day, should we cut this down?

I guess Clover's not as greedy and eats more hay!!! [emoji23]

Take a look at the links I posted. 2 bowls of Muesli a day is alot. They only need about an eggcupful a day each.

Has Cuddles had his teeth checked recently ? If he has always had a lot of Muesli he may already have some Dental issues that need attention. This is because a lack of hay (due to being full up on Muesli) will mean the teeth do not wear down and the crowns can become too long and/or molar spurs can develop x

Tried them repeatedly on pellets...they both refuse to even touch them![emoji23]

Thanks...I did check his teeth and they seem fine.
I'll cut down on the muslei. They always have lots of hay.
I guess Cuddles eats the muslei, leaving the hay for Clover.

Thanks again.

Thanks...I did check his teeth and they seem fine.
I'll cut down on the muslei. They always have lots of hay.
I guess Cuddles eats the muslei, leaving the hay for Clover.

Thanks again.

You cant check the molar teeth (cheek teeth) without the appropriate equipment

Ah...ok thanks. Just checked front teeth.
I'll get him a vet's appt.

Tried them repeatedly on pellets...they both refuse to even touch them![emoji23]

You could mix the pellets in with the muesli and gradually change over!

Have you thought of feeding forage - aka 'free food' ??

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/gallery/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

I've met Frances Harcourt Brown, who wrote these articles (and more). she's a very inspiring lady :D

Forage has lots of fibre and it's free - brambles (easy to find) are very good for rabbits with dirty bottoms :D

More on Frances Harcourt Browns thinking from me I'm afraid. A couple of potential issues with rabbit muesli. One is if they selectively feed & pick out the tasty pits but leave the nutritious bits they can become calcium deficient - FHB believes this to be a major factor with dental problems in rabbits. Secondly I notice your muesli has locust beans - she has found these in a number of rabbits with intestinal blockages.

I hope the vet visit goes well & mucky bum issues are resolved for him. I saw your photo on the other thread - he is gorgeous !

I discovered one of my rabbits had a dirty bum too and asked advice on here. Her teeth were mentioned but I was sure they were fine as she was eating normally. Took her to vet and couple of teeth were a teeny bit long, not causing discomfort by going into gums and not causing her to stop eating but they decided to operate to file them down. £113 later :)shock:) got her back and no more dirty bum. I have no idea how rabbits are so numerous as they're the most easily upset creatures on the planet! Bloody love them but jings did we have a good talk on way home in car about her chewing on both sides of her mouth.
Vet said pellets were important for teeth and not to remove from diet ( she's 5 and likes her pellets so didn't want to remove them but some advice said to try removing them.) I have numerous chew blocks, nice bits of wood and such like but she's not interested in chewing anything other than hay. Although just gave her a small leafy branch from an apple tree tonight and by the morning there will just be a wee stump left.
I'm trying to remember when this happened, few months ago May or June, anyway she's still not 'talking' to me. Just starting to get a wee bit better and it's time to take her back to vet for annual jag. I'm resolved to a life with a very, very moody Hoppity. Luckily Hector has the memory and attention span of a moth, love him dearly but dear God he was at back of the queue when they were handing out the brains, so he forgets I've taken him to the vets 10 minutes after we're home.
Good luck in finding out what's causing it.

I discovered one of my rabbits had a dirty bum too and asked advice on here. Her teeth were mentioned but I was sure they were fine as she was eating normally. Took her to vet and couple of teeth were a teeny bit long, not causing discomfort by going into gums and not causing her to stop eating but they decided to operate to file them down. £113 later :)shock:) got her back and no more dirty bum. I have no idea how rabbits are so numerous as they're the most easily upset creatures on the planet! Bloody love them but jings did we have a good talk on way home in car about her chewing on both sides of her mouth.
Vet said pellets were important for teeth and not to remove from diet ( she's 5 and likes her pellets so didn't want to remove them but some advice said to try removing them.) I have numerous chew blocks, nice bits of wood and such like but she's not interested in chewing anything other than hay. Although just gave her a small leafy branch from an apple tree tonight and by the morning there will just be a wee stump left.
I'm trying to remember when this happened, few months ago May or June, anyway she's still not 'talking' to me. Just starting to get a wee bit better and it's time to take her back to vet for annual jag. I'm resolved to a life with a very, very moody Hoppity. Luckily Hector has the memory and attention span of a moth, love him dearly but dear God he was at back of the queue when they were handing out the brains, so he forgets I've taken him to the vets 10 minutes after we're home.
Thanks... I've been monitoring Cuddles' bum for the past week (all the good jobs!!) and he's been ok, but still the odd "messy" day.
Cuddles' coat is quite long near his bottom area and I just think he's a bit lazy!

Anyway, he's booked in with the local vet tomorrow evening just to be sure!!

Luckily Hector has the memory and attention span of a moth, love him dearly but dear God he was at back of the queue when they were handing out the brains, so he forgets I've taken him to the vets 10 minutes after we're home.
Yup...that sounds exactly like Cuddles!!😂😂😂

I would recommend you check their food every day and remove the locust beans and cut them down to 3/4 of an eggcup full per day per rabbit.- of whichever food you choose. Oxbow do a very good Timothy hay pellet which is not as fattening as Alfalfa. Once your bunnies start to use up all their calories they will eat pellets but they are not hungry enough at the moment. :thumb:

I would recommend you check their food every day and remove the locust beans and cut them down to 3/4 of an eggcup full per day per rabbit.- of whichever food you choose. Oxbow do a very good Timothy hay pellet which is not as fattening as Alfalfa. Once your bunnies start to use up all their calories they will eat pellets but they are not hungry enough at the moment. :thumb:
Thanks for the advice![emoji106] [emoji106]

It'll need to be introduced slowly, so start off with just a little mixed up with muesli and gradually increase until they're only on the pellets. They will get used to them eventually. Burgess excel with mint seems to be especially nommy to bunnies and is nutritionally balanced. Muesli is awful.

Back