• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noises.

Morning all!

Lady Blue is doing well, She was seen nomming her straw bedding again this morning lol.
Her waters gone down a good couple inches in the night.
Not many poops since 11 last night, about 5 or so, will monitor her today and see how many she does and if they're getting any harder.

She's been refusing her oxbow from the syringe, so we've been putting her 5ml onto a tupperware lid and she's been happily picking it up from there, think she's definitely better as she's always been a proud independent little lady, she doesn't like being helped lol!

She's chilling atm, she knows it's yucky medicine time so she's staying away from me haha.

Her breathing is still visible as she does the rock forward but barely any noise (mainly when eating or drinking)
The noise is like a soft snotty noise, but not as harsh or crackly like before, hopefully she's feeling much better.

Good going Lady B :thumb:

Keep those hoomins at bay with their yucky meds :lol:

Hey guys, I popped out for a couple of hours to see my mum, Lady Blue had jumped out the cage herself and was hiding under the bed, my partner watched her, she'd just been hopping around.
Im home now and have looked for poops and found these under my bed...

They're sticky but formed and are joint by a yellow thick goo stuff.
She's had some water today and some oxbow.
Is this normal for a bunny not eating much hay and on oral meds?

She's watching me right now, she's thinking about jumping back out the house lol :p

Hey guys, I popped out for a couple of hours to see my mum, Lady Blue had jumped out the cage herself and was hiding under the bed, my partner watched her, she'd just been hopping around.

She's watching me right now, she's thinking about jumping back out the house lol :p

Yes, some mucus (the thick yellow goo) can be passed with the faeces when the GI tract is sluggish and quite empty. Oral antibiotics may also be a contributory factor.

Yes, this looks normal to me given the antibiotics and the stuff she's been through. The yellow goo is often a sign of inflammation in the intestines, which of course will calm down once the antibiotics have done their work and she's (hopefully) eating fibre again :)

Brilliant thanks guys :) Ive seen the softer poos all clumped together (my lion head suffered with them when he was young, as he was slightly overweight and couldn't reach his tooshie to eat them) but have never seen them coming apart with the goo so was unsure :)

Hey all, I think blue may have some Gas...
When I press my ear against her tummy j can hear hollow plop noises, her tummy is slightly hard, I put a hand either side of her tummy and gently rubbed in circles and I felt a couple like pops under my fingertips..
She ate some oxbow earlier, she's had a baked treat after her medicine, she also ate some Kale earlier.
She's not done much poo today either :/
She's booked in for her checkup on Tuesday,
What can I do to help her pass her gas?

Hey all, I think blue may have some Gas...
When I press my ear against her tummy j can hear hollow plop noises, her tummy is slightly hard, I put a hand either side of her tummy and gently rubbed in circles and I felt a couple like pops under my fingertips..
She ate some oxbow earlier, she's had a baked treat after her medicine, she also ate some Kale earlier.
She's not done much poo today either :/
She's booked in for her checkup on Tuesday,
What can I do to help her pass her gas?

Not sure if I've said this before to you, but Infacol and tummy massages are best for releasing gas :D

Info if you need it :wave:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Keep an eye on her for less eating/pooping :)

Not sure if I've said this before to you, but Infacol and tummy massages are best for releasing gas :D

Info if you need it :wave:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Keep an eye on her for less eating/pooping :)

I rang my vets out of hours number and he said it's a good sign that she's eating, although small amounts due to being ill, he said tummy rubs and to buy lactalos (spelling may be off) to help loosen poo incase it's that, but keep eye on her and if she doesn't poop to bring her in,
Fingers crossed for loads of poo tomorrow!

I rang my vets out of hours number and he said it's a good sign that she's eating, although small amounts due to being ill, he said tummy rubs and to buy lactalos (spelling may be off) to help loosen poo incase it's that, but keep eye on her and if she doesn't poop to bring her in,
Fingers crossed for loads of poo tomorrow!

Yeah, fingers crossed :D

Did your vet give you a dosage for the lactulose?

With the odd poop and mucous you are seeing, and now the gas occurring, I would be concerned that the antibiotic could possibly be causing too much of a disruption of her gut microflora, which gas and mucous droppings can both be a sign of. This can actually be dangerous to the rabbit if it alters too much. I would definitely want to discuss this with my vet right away, and possibly consider switching to a different antibiotic that won't cause so much upset.

In the meantime, limiting sugars and carbs in the diet is preferable as these will feed the bad bacteria, and try and increase fiber in the diet as much as possible as this will help to restore normal gut bacteria. I know this can be difficult though, when a rabbit isn't eating well due to illness.

Morning all,
The vet said on the phone last night for the lactulose to give her 1ml 4 times a day.
I went to bed praying for poo this morning,
She's done two poops that she's then decided to walk through again -_-
Just given her her 5ml oxbow and she's scoffing it off her lid.
Waters definitely gone down from last night as well.
Tummy is still slightly hard though.
She's booked in for Tuesday for her check up, so I think if she carries on eating and pooping I'll wait til then as I haven't got the £140 to call out the emergency vet :/ If she stops eating and pooping then that's a different matter, I will have a word with my mum to see if she could, if needs be, help me out.

Morning all,
The vet said on the phone last night for the lactulose to give her 1ml 4 times a day.
I went to bed praying for poo this morning,
She's done two poops that she's then decided to walk through again -_-
Just given her her 5ml oxbow and she's scoffing it off her lid.
Waters definitely gone down from last night as well.
Tummy is still slightly hard though.
She's booked in for Tuesday for her check up, so I think if she carries on eating and pooping I'll wait til then as I haven't got the £140 to call out the emergency vet :/ If she stops eating and pooping then that's a different matter, I will have a word with my mum to see if she could, if needs be, help me out.

It may be worth offering her more oxbow if she'll eat it. When syringe feeding in hospital we offer ass much as bunnie will eat in one sitting. Normally around 15ml

It may be worth offering her more oxbow if she'll eat it. When syringe feeding in hospital we offer ass much as bunnie will eat in one sitting. Normally around 15ml

OK will do, I read online dandelions help get the bowel moving properly again, does it mean the leaves or the yellow heads? I've given her the leaves as she loves them usually and she's wolfed them down!

I gave her 5ml oxbow this morning and just given her another 5ml, if she eats that I'll put more down, because it's on a lid I can't put a lot down as she'll walk over it lol, she stuck her foot in the last lot then sat licking it off her foot xD

POO!!!
She's done me some more poo!!

So that's 3 clumps of poops from 11pm until now.

How quickly can you tell a rabbit has gained weight, my partner thinks she may just have gotten "fatter", it's been 5 days that she's been inside and not being really active, just hopping around a little?

Just sat and gave her some tummy rubs, I swear when I do it, she looks normal then like a couple hours later she looks big again :/ I just put some fresh hay down and she just walks away from it, completely uninterested in it. Going to try some more fresh grass

Just done some more tummy rubs, good 20 minutes or so, she laid down and was licking my duvet constantly, good sign??
She always seems more active when she's on the duvet

Last edited:
She done more poos, i lifted her up to return her to the floor and she had poo hanging from her bum by mucus.
I gently broke the mucus strand so the poop would come away so it didn't stick to her bum when I put her down again.
So that's a lump of poo at 10am an a lump of poo around 1pm

Back