• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maple - safe?

Not completely safe. Something about horses and sycamore and maple being like sycamore and rabbits being like horses.
But sleepy. Google knows.

Not completely safe. Something about horses and sycamore and maple being like sycamore and rabbits being like horses.
But sleepy. Google knows.

aww, sleepy dumble paws :) They sycamore thing got me confused when I attempted to explore further

I do not have access to Sycamore so don't have to get concerned about whether it is safe or not. My guess is that it is probably the (helicopter) seeds on Sycamore, which would cause a problem for horses. Very often seeds of anything contain substances, which could be unwelcome.

I always remove berries from Hawthorn for example and several plants should not be fed once they have fruited.

Hmm ..I have always thought the acer family were safe. I used to have a big shrubby tree in my garden that the buns picked at all the time.

They well might be. I just know that I am sure about Field Maple, whereas I'm not so sure about other Acers.

I just trimmed a maple tree yesterday... I don't know what kind of maple it is though (possibly a silver maple) so I wouldn't want to risk it I don't think.

Are box elders safe? They're in the maple family. Just wondering since I trimmed one of them yesterday as well.

aww, sleepy dumble paws :) They sycamore thing got me confused when I attempted to explore further

Sleepy Dumblepaws is more awake now
http://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/news/2014/11/atypical-myopathy-sycamore-poisoning-in-horses-information-for-owners/

There's a toxin in the sycamore/maple/acer family which can kill horses. It's a higher concentration in the seeds, but is present in the leaves. And rabbits digest things in a similar way to horses so are comparable.
There's no research into whether any of them are safe for rabbits as there's no money in that sort of research but is one of those things where a small amount is probably fine, a large amonut over a long period, not so much.

So I wouldn't worry if my bunny accidentally ate a few leaves, but wouldn't go out of my way to forage for it or grow it for them

Thanks for the link. It's all very interesting and supports the view that different plants have different properties at different times of the year and also that different parts of plants i.e seeds (which I have always considered a bit dodgy) necessarily have different properties.

I was cheered by this in the article:

"it appears as though some other North American and Japanese Acers (or Maples) that are grown as garden trees and shrubs can produce the toxin; however Acer Campestre or the “Field Maple” which is common in hedgerows does not appear to produce the toxin."

I will continue to feed Field Maple, but will remain suspicious of other Acers.

Back