• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RHD2 question

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I've just rang my local vets to ask about the RHD2 vaccine and they said that they don't have it in stock but that they are looking into it. I asked if they were planning to order any in soon and they said that haven't heard of any confirmed cases in The UK and that the weather here isn't hot enough so they don't think that it will be much of a problem :/ These answers didn't leave me with much confidence to ask my next question...!
The main reason that I called was to find out if there is any reason for a Rabbit NOT to have the new vaccination? Such as existing medical problems? To be honest I'm worried about Hiro. I can't think of a reason why him having it would be a problem but with all the issues he's had this year I want to find out about any potential side effect or issues that might pop up.

I've just rang my local vets to ask about the RHD2 vaccine and they said that they don't have it in stock but that they are looking into it. I asked if they were planning to order any in soon and they said that haven't heard of any confirmed cases in The UK and that the weather here isn't hot enough so they don't think that it will be much of a problem :/ These answers didn't leave me with much confidence to ask my next question...!
The main reason that I called was to find out if there is any reason for a Rabbit NOT to have the new vaccination? Such as existing medical problems? To be honest I'm worried about Hiro. I can't think of a reason why him having it would be a problem but with all the issues he's had this year I want to find out about any potential side effect or issues that might pop up.

As with all vaccines it is generally stated that only healthy animals should be vaccinated. But with a Rabbit with a chronic condition it would be for the Vet to decide if vaccinating was appropriate. Two scenarios are possible (but NOT inevitable)-a Rabbit with a chronic health issue may not have a full immune response to the vaccine, meaning that the vaccine does not give full protection. Or the Rabbit may have a relapse in symptoms of their chronic health problem. So as I said, the decision about whether or not to vaccinate a health compromised Rabbit is one that only the Vet treating the individual Rabbit can make.

As far as we are aware he is healthy but we can't be 100% sure. He finished his medication nearly 7 weeks ago and apart from his head tilt he is doing really well.
Molly hasn't seen him for about 10 weeks and he wasn't so good back then. I'm reluctant to drag him 90 minutes up the road for a check up when he is thriving at home. He gets much more tilty in stressful situations and I don't feel like it gives them a true indication of how he is actually doing. But at the same time I don't really trust my local vets with this... they are out of their depth.
Hopefully I can call Rutland House tomorrow and they can set my mind at rest.

As far as we are aware he is healthy but we can't be 100% sure. He finished his medication nearly 7 weeks ago and apart from his head tilt he is doing really well.
Molly hasn't seen him for about 10 weeks and he wasn't so good back then. I'm reluctant to drag him 90 minutes up the road for a check up when he is thriving at home. He gets much more tilty in stressful situations and I don't feel like it gives them a true indication of how he is actually doing. But at the same time I don't really trust my local vets with this... they are out of their depth.

It's a difficult call. Those of us who have rabbits with health issues have to make the decision as to whether to vaccinate or not. In some cases, where the rabbit's immune system is working to full capacity to cope with what's going on for them, a challenge such as a vaccine can tip them over the edge and be something that exacerbates their medical status.

I would want an evaluation by a knowledgeable vet :)

That sounds to be a very good idea xx

Thanks both of you.
When Hiro got poorly I didn't even consider things like this. Its definitely a hard decision to make.

I didn't realise this was an older thread but may as well post anyway, from FHB website

My vet said my rabbit was not well enough to be vaccinated. What do I do?

It is not harmful for an ill or old rabbit to be vaccinated. The problem is that a rabbit may not respond to a vaccine if it is already fighting a disease or is ill enough to have a suppressed immune system. Treating the animal or delaying vaccination will increase the chance of the vaccine protecting the rabbit. If the rabbit is old, there is an argument that it needs to be vaccinated more than a healthy one because it would be less able to fight disease. An analogy can be made with ‘flu vaccination in people where elderly people are vaccinated. Whether to vaccinate an old or ill rabbit in the midst of a disease outbreak is a decision that needs to be made by the owner and their vet. My choice would be to vaccinate my rabbit and, if the rabbit was ill, repeat the vaccine when the rabbit had recovered in order to give it the greatest chance of protection.

Back