• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dead baby rabbits

Pollos

New Kit
(Sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language)
Last friday i had a litter of 5 rabbits, 3 weeks old and they were eating good and growing, jumping around. Then on friday night i found one of them lying on the floor looking dead. On a closer look i saw it was still breathing, but it died after a short time. The next morning i found one dead, and one barely alive, it also died later. Then one more died on saturday night, and the last one was found dead on sunday morning. The mother and my other grown up rabbit seems fine still, bit I'm taking the mother to the vet tomorrow.. This was so sad and unexpected :( does anyone have a clue what could have happened??

I'm so sorry for your losses, how sad :(.

Unfortunately I don't have any useful advice, but I'm sure someone will be along soon, who does x

Last friday i had a litter of 5 rabbits, 3 weeks old and they were eating good and growing, jumping around. Then on friday night i found one of them lying on the floor looking dead. On a closer look i saw it was still breathing, but it died after a short time. The next morning i found one dead, and one barely alive, it also died later. Then one more died on saturday night, and the last one was found dead on sunday morning. The mother and my other grown up rabbit seems fine still, bit I'm taking the mother to the vet tomorrow.. This was so sad and unexpected :( does anyone have a clue what could have happened??

How tragic :cry: I am sorry :cry: Is the Doe still lactating (producing milk) ? If her milk dried up that could be a contributory factor. But there are numerous other possibilities. You are wise to have your remaining Rabbits checked over by your Vet. I assume that the Buck was not with the Doe when she gave birth ? If he was then the Doe is very likely to be pregnant again and due to deliver a second litter within about a week from now. It is very important to inform your Vet if there is even a remote chance that the Doe is pregnant. If she is this would effect what treatments the Vet could give, were any treatment deemed necessary. The Vet would also take extra care when palpating the Doe's abdomen during the examination.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Thank you for answers!
I don't know about her milk, but i saw the kits trying to nap on her, but she usually walked away from them. I assumed she wanted them to eat hay instead, which they did. I was wondering weather it could be something wrong with the new hay I bought from a farmer last week, so don't dare to feed the rabbits with it no more. It smells good and all, but do you think that's a possibility? Also the buck hasn't been here so she isn't pregnant again.
I took this rabbits from a guy who didn't take care of them. They sat 7 rabbits In a small cage with lots of urine and no Bedding or hay. So i gave away the buck first day, then after 3 weeks i gave away her 4 babies that she came here with(10 weeks old). The day after the other doe gave birth to 2 kits that died right away. After two more days this doe gave birth to these five kits. I didn't know they were expecting, but she seemed to handle it good..

Hi Pollos and welcome to the Forum

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. There are several reasons why this happened, and I'm glad your vet is going to take a look and give you appropriate care for your doe x

Good luck :)

Hi, thank you :) seems to be much knowledge in this forum.
I understand that, but it feels better to discuss with other people anyway. It's hard to not know what happened to my babies :(

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

e5169c98af23a94b44658551d9e7acbb.jpg

Last Thursday [emoji174]

Thank you. No I separated them when the other doe had given birth to her dead kits.

Yes it has been in my city :/ but in that case, why only the kits and not my grown ups?

Yes it has been in my city :/ but in that case, why only the kits and not my grown ups?

I dont know, but a member on here 'Santa' has just come through an RHD2 outbreak amongst a Doe and her kits whom she had Rescued. Not all of the Rabbits became ill/passed away

This is Santa's blog

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/

However, there are so many other possible causes of the losses you have had. But given the proximity of a known outbreak of RHD2 I would strongly advise you to adopt strict bio-security amongst your remaining Rabbits

Ok, RHD was my first guess because it exists here now. But then i thought maybe it's not, considering the fact that no other rabbit passed.
I have them separated in different rooms and wash my hands every time after I touch the rabbits.
Thank you, i will read her blog.
I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow and hear the vets opinion..
Do you think it's ok to give them the hay I bought or should I wait?

Ok, RHD was my first guess because it exists here now. But then i thought maybe it's not, considering the fact that no other rabbit passed.
I have them separated in different rooms and wash my hands every time after I touch the rabbits.

If in any doubt about the hay then I would not feed it. I think it unlikely that it was the cause, but everything is an 'unknown' at the moment so I'd err on the side of caution until you have seen the Vet.

I would think it's most likely to be OK to feed the hay you bought. You have to feed them something after all, and the vet won't be able to advise you as no one knows the cause yet ...

I bought it last monday so they ate it for 5 days before anyone died. So I guess it's impossible that the hay caused their death, right? The hay is from last year because I wanted to minimise the chances of rhd2 which was found this year in this area.

I bought it last monday so they ate it for 5 days before anyone died. So I guess it's impossible that the hay caused their death, right? The hay is from last year because I wanted to minimise the chances of rhd2 which was found this year in this area.

Current thinking is that you would be very unlucky indeed if your rabbits contracted VHD2 from hay.

I would do what you believe to be right about feeding the hay you expressed concern over. At least that is what I'd do,

Been to the vet now. She couldn't find anything on the doe except that she is a little thin, but she is eating and has gained weight since I got her, so it's ok. Her theory is that considering her background she wasn't ready for a litter and had a hard time taking care of them. Or it could be coccidiosis. We have taken a test for that now, so we'll have to wait and see what it shows.
Thanks for your support :)

Back