• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head shaking

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Bill started shaking his head yesterday :( We are very paranoid about ear infections because of what happened with Hiro but he is also moulting on his face/head. Can moulting be itchy/irritating for a Rabbit? Could it be the reason for him shaking his head? He's also a little grumpy but he is eating, drinking and pooping well. He's also playful. X

I was washing Mimzy's face the other night (eye goopies) and when I put him back in his enclosure he was wildly shaking his head and scratching at his ear. I panicked thinking he was having a relapse but I think, after watching him for awhile and seeing it resolve, that I got some water in his ear. So it doesn't always mean something sinister.

I've seen my bunnies do a lot of ear flapping and head shaking when they are moulting...that stuff gets everywhere and it tickles! :shock:

It could be a blob of wax too that has lodged somewhere uncomfortable, but I'd always have a vet remove that. Too easy to break an eardrum otherwise.

If it becomes distressing or you see other symptoms, it can't hurt to get a vet's opinion. In fact any time you aren't sure what's going on, I'd do that. It just isn't worth taking the chance if you ask me.

I hope Bill will be okay. ((((Vibes)))) xxxx

Have you had a look in his ears for any signs of inflammation/gunk/mites ? Also have you had a sniff in his ears ,some ear infections are smelly.

It sounds more like he has a bit of an itchy ear. Sometimes a bit of wax can move about and feel annoying/itchy.

If he is still shaking his head today I'd ask the Vet to take a look in his ears, just to err on the side of caution and hopefully to put your mind at rest :)

Thanks for the replies.
It does seem more like it's just something annoying him. Last night we sat down with him and brushed his face, ears and all around his neck, we also checked his ears. They looked clean and didn't smell bad at all. When we had finished he got up, did a little full body shake, a head shake and then scratched around both of his ears.
I think I'm going to keep a close eye on him today and see how he gets on. He doesn't like the vets, he's a little bit feisty :lol:

Thanks for the replies.
It does seem more like it's just something annoying him. Last night we sat down with him and brushed his face, ears and all around his neck, we also checked his ears. They looked clean and didn't smell bad at all. When we had finished he got up, did a little full body shake, a head shake and then scratched around both of his ears.
I think I'm going to keep a close eye on him today and see how he gets on. He doesn't like the vets, he's a little bit feisty :lol:

Sounds like a good plan, you know what to look out for :)

Ruby always shakes her ears after a cuddle. There is nothing wrong, with her its just a habit. She has always done it though so if it's a new thing then best to keep an eye out.

Bill started shaking his head yesterday :( We are very paranoid about ear infections because of what happened with Hiro but he is also moulting on his face/head. Can moulting be itchy/irritating for a Rabbit? Could it be the reason for him shaking his head? He's also a little grumpy but he is eating, drinking and pooping well. He's also playful. X

Yes, moulting can be irritating for a rabbit.

Has he got a grass seed or anything caught up in his fur around there?

If you look in his ears (if he'll let you!) you may see a bit of wax. To be honest it's more likely to be a little something he's trying to dislodge inside his ear than an infection.

Had to take Ginny in last week for vet to check her ears. She'd been having a head shake. She's a New Zealand Red, aged 10. She had a stroke 4 years ago and having been left with dragging back legs, she can't scratch her ears. Vet had a good look, cleaned them out...'yuck' you could grow potatoes in them. I'm too scared of damaging her eardrums so I let the vet do it. Ginny now has some Surolan drops to help clean them. Mind you, Widget gives her ears a good clean, after I put the drops in. Little devil.

Back