• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nearly 8 week old Bunny

ASJY

New Kit
Hello all!
First just let me apologize if I sound like an idiot since this is my first time owning a rabbit. I have done some researching before buying one but nothing was detailed enough to answer some of my questions or some websites contradict what other websites say!
I basically got a rabbit on 6th August 2016 and was told we could take it home early as he is turning 8 weeks on Sunday and seemed to be doing fine. We decided to trust the breeder as she had many rabbits and seemed very knowledgeable about them. So anyway, after a 2 hour journey we finally arrived back home with the rabbit. I named him Mocha BTW. Mocha seems to be quite a confidant rabbit since as soon as we arrived home we put him in the bunny proof room that we prepared and he happily jumped around and curiously sniffed everything. I bought him plenty of toys and provided lots of timothy hay and introduced to him the Burgess Excel(?) Nuggets slowly but mostly giving him his old mixed feed. I use a bowl for water as we use a small cage without a top to let him roam freely. For the first 2 days although his poop was a bit small I assumed that it was just due to stress that it was smaller than what people said online. I fed him some carrots since I read online that rabbits can eat them.
So here are my worries about him that I can't find online (warning: some if not all sound stupid but I really am worried about him :c....) :

1. He's too relaxed
okay so its basically in the title, he is way too relaxed compared to what I read online! He even did a dead bunny flop with eyes closed when I was sitting on my bed! (he lives in my bunny proof bedroom.) Completely opposite to what I read online, he is constantly laying with his feet out and even lets me touch him and even licked and groomed me today. So I'm kinda worried if he's got a few problems or something that makes him act like this or if he's just a calm bunny in general. (I really hope its the second!)

2. Constant Binkies
On the second day I got him he did a binky which really freaked me out since I thought there was something wrong with him. On the third day He did 2 binkies one in the afternoon and one at night which made me start to get worried. He just felt so abnormally happy for no reason so I really wonder if he's mentally healthy. Is this normal and does everyone else's bunny do the same a day after their arrival?!

3. Diarrhea

This is definitely the one that I'm most worried about. I found out today that young bunnies shouldn't eat vegetables e.g carrots as it will make them feel bad. I stopped feeding him those today since I don't want to make his diarrhea worse. I took away all his food and only let him eat timothy hay and drink water. I noticed he had diarrhea this morning at 11 am so it has been around 2 hours since I only gave him hay and water. He still has diarrhea so I'm extremely worried since I read online that bunnies will die within 24 hours if they get diarrhea. The weird thing is that he is still eating and drinking water and doing binkies as usual so he is very energetic. His diarrhea is not very runny and I can still see the shape of the small poop except that there is water around the diarrhea. the image is almost like he pooped out small attach round poop and then peed on them? This has happened 2 times already so I'm seriously scared. :( :( :(

Again, sorry if these sound really stupid but the emergency vets today are closed and I only have an appointment on Tuesday for a vaccination. Thanks in advance to any replies!

Hi,
Don't worry we all have so many questions when we first get a rabbit! They are much more complex than I expected!
First things first, I'd get Mocha to a vet. You say the emergency vet is closed but there will be a vet open somewhere! Diarrhea can be very serious (as you know) and it's not worth the risk.

Secondly - do NOT worry about how happy Mocha is.
When I first got my rabbit Milo he settled straight in as well. He is the most loving happy bunny in the world and a year and a half later he still binkies continuously, licks and even loves to jump on the sofa for cuddles!

Get him to the vet, get the diarrhea sorted then enjoy the wonderful benefits of having a loving bunny! xxxxx

hi thank you so much for the quick reply :) ! Unfortunately I cannot drive and the only other person who can drive is at work. Since we live in the middle of nowhere the nearest emergency vet is 3 hours away since for some reason the close ones are literally all closed! :(
On the bright side of things, I'm really glad to know that he is just friendly and not stupid! I was honestly worried that there was something wrong with him! He is still very lively right now so I will try my best to book an appointment for a non emergency vet shop at the earliest time tomorrow to get him checked out :( :(

Again, thank you so much for being welcoming and friendly :)

Hi there! I know it's hard but try not to worry. I would cut out fresh veg and pellets and stick to hay until you can get him to a vet (asap). I would strongly suspect he has had too much rich food. Carrots are high in sugar and should only be given as an occasional treat.

Binkying is always good! Rabbits are crepuscular so are more active at dusk and dawn. During the day is usually their chill out time.

hello,
yes I have taken away the food and pellets and hopefully he will recover soon! though whether he recovers or not, I will still take him to the vet asap to get him checked out just in case!
many thanks for the reply :)

Hi I know you have already removed his pellets and fresh veg, but he is still a very young bunny and sudden diet changes can cause extra stress on his little tummy. I would definitely not give him any more vegetables but I personally would still let him have a few pellets, maybe 4-5 so at least it's not a huge change to him. To be fair he's come from his old home, to somewhere completely different and then had new food so it's probably a big change for him.

Like others have said just be very weary of his bum and keep checking him especially in this heat. Booking a vets appointment is good, and in the meantime just keep a close eye on him and make sure he is eating and passing poo!

Do you know what hay he was on previously? Although Timothy is the best for him, it might be worth trying to find some meadow hay which is slightly sweeter and may also help settle him if it's more similar to what he was on?

So far sounds like your doing everything fine and once he's settled and had the okay from the vet will be a lucky little chap to have an owner like you! :)

Last edited:
OK well try not to worry yourself too much just keep a close eye on him and try to keep his bum as clean as poss!
Honestly our Milo is an absolute loon....he could well be stupid (Milo isn't the brightest haha) but I'm sure that will just make you love him more! It does with us :) xxx

Hello,

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming! I will try not to worry and just give him a few pellets a day. Hopefully he'll be alright and I will keep a close eye on him! I will defo be keeping his bum clean! :)

Thanks again!

Back