• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding questions!

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Okay so as you might have seen in the stories and photos section we have been bonding Milo and our new girl bun Rory!
We are currently on day 3. They have been previously living side by side and so far the bonding is going so well.
We have seen zero signs of aggression and there hasn't even been any dominance behaviour. They basically have settled together as though they were meant to be. From day one we have seen grooming and both flopping next to each other. On day 1 and 2 they had 20 minutes. Today we gave them an hour together in their neutral space and when we separated them they seemed very upset and Rory was thumping and grunting because she couldn't get to Milo.
Because of this we decided to put them together in the room where they live. We were worried the change from the 'neutral space' to the room where they generally live would cause problems but they have been together now eating grooming and sleeping together for 4 hours! We will seperate them when we go to bed tonight but i basically wondered what people think? Is this just a match made in heaven that will just work? Should we continue to be wary? Things with Molly (the rescue we previously tried to bond Milo with) were so negative from the start that this almost seems too easy!
Anyway i'm mostly rambling i was just sort of looking for reassurance that we were doing things right! any advice from you lovely experts will be greatly appreciated
:)

I think separating them now could cause more problems.
I'd sleep with them and keep a close eye on them just to separate any arguments.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with DaphnePhoebe. I would keep them together from now on and stay close by for a couple of nights just to keep an eye on them. It does sound as though it's going well :thumb:

Awww, my pairs have always bonded pretty easily, maybe your bunnies knew you needed a break after Molly . I'd keep them together all the time now too. Well done you & well done Milo & Rory

We didn't keep them together last night as I had a killer migraine by bed time and there was no way I could have slept downstairs with them. Depending on how today goes we will possibly keep them together tonight. How long would you leave them in a small space for? Usually Milo has free range of the living room/hallway but we have a pen for bonding purposes x

Some pairs get on right from the start, this seems to be the case with yours! As others have said, don't separate them now.

It's best to leave them in the same space for at least 48hrs after any chasing, nipping, humping etc has occurred, and increase the space very gradually without moving them. Moving them and extending space can cause things to kick off. Sounds like it's going well :thumb:

We have moved them because the space we introduced them originally wasn't practical. We haven't had any serious chasing nipping or humping! We had what appeared to be bum nipping but I think it was just sniffing/snuffling. They have been together all day with no problems! I just don't want to increase their space and it all go wrong! x

They spent the night together last night and I didn't sleep a wink!!!!!!
I stayed up until midnight with them and they seemed fine so I went to bed with an alarm set for an hours time! I popped down at 1 and there was a few chunks of fur about their pen! :'( Both seemed okay though, I'm not sure whose fur it was! I was up every hour after that.
They seem okay this morning still grooming each other, still flopping out? What do you think? Is it still going well? I'm second guessing and panicking now!

They spent the night together last night and I didn't sleep a wink!!!!!!
I stayed up until midnight with them and they seemed fine so I went to bed with an alarm set for an hours time! I popped down at 1 and there was a few chunks of fur about their pen! :'( Both seemed okay though, I'm not sure whose fur it was! I was up every hour after that.
They seem okay this morning still grooming each other, still flopping out? What do you think? Is it still going well? I'm second guessing and panicking now!

Might just have been a bit of fur pulling if it is that it looks worse than it is. If they are grooming and flopping out it sounds good. I wouldn't rush to extend their space or move them for a couple of days after any incident though.

Yeah I think after Molly it's gonna be a long time before I extend their space. I just get so worried that I will spoilt things! At the moment they are literally flopped pretty much on top of each other! It's just scary because I've read horror stories about how badly it can go in an instant! x

All the signs sound good :thumb: I know how nerve wracking bonding is. I'm bonding 2 goats at the moment, and they have horns :shock::

Back