Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's Top Bun in your pairs/groups?

Default Who's Top Bun in your pairs/groups?

I'm just intrigued, because in my pairs/groups, it's pretty much ALWAYS a doe on top.

The order of dominance in my groups appears to go as follows:

The Quad:
    Elphie (female; 6.5; blue dwarf lop)
    Morningstar (female; 3.5; blue cross)
    Selene (female; 1; black standard rex)
    Helios (male; 1; broken castor standard rex)

(yes, all 3 does are unrelated. I still can't quite believe how I made that one work! Helios and Selene are siblings.)

The A's:

Athena (female; 1.5; chinchilla otter lionhead)
    Apollo (male; 1.5; orange dutch cross)

"Mum's" Buns:

Rivergrace (female; 3.5; grey otter cross)
    Takumi (male; 11 months; tricolour cross(mini rhinelander?))

And the latest pair...

It's looking like it'll settle this way (eventually), but it's only day 3:

Persephone (female; 8 months; chocolate point mini rex)
    Morpheus (male; 1; harlequin lionhead)

Even in previous groups/pairs, it's been girls on top:

Elphie
    Galinda (d. Jan 2016; female; blue dwarf lop - Elphie's littermate and sister)
    Archimedes (d. 04/08/15, male; est. age 10; tricolour dwarf lop)

...though, to be fair, with my lop trio, they were almost all more equal partners. They were only together for about 6 weeks total. When Archimedes began to fall ill, the girls increasingly paired themselves off. He just couldn't keep up with them. Elphie was always SLIGHTLY more dominant than Galinda, but it was only slight. Archimedes was the calming influence that made my girls see past their previous differences and lived harmoniously until Galinda's death.

So yeah, pretty much almost always girls on top. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same experience? Or if I just end up with super feisty dominant girls (even when they are NOT dominant, like Selene, they are still more dominant than the boy!)

Always a male but then I only have 2 girls and 6 boys.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Boo thinks she is, we have tried telling her being bossy does not equate to being top bun but it falls on deaf ears Joey actually is. Mouse does command a lot of grooming though & she's bottom of the pile ..I think

Funnily enough, I was wondering about this the other day, when it suddenly occurred to me that I've never had a dominant male, out of 5 pairs and a quad.

Curiously, in wild rabbits who live in large groups there tends to be one male dominant over the other males and likewise with females. It's only in small groups that we see the m-f pecking order sustained over time.

I'm very envious of all your rexes. I have a soft spot for them. Soft like velvet

Quote Originally Posted by EyerollChamp View Post
    Funnily enough, I was wondering about this the other day, when it suddenly occurred to me that I've never had a dominant male, out of 5 pairs and a quad.

Curiously, in wild rabbits who live in large groups there tends to be one male dominant over the other males and likewise with females. It's only in small groups that we see the m-f pecking order sustained over time.

I'm very envious of all your rexes. I have a soft spot for them. Soft like velvet
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has strange thoughts about these things. As I saw Persephone refusing to back down to any attempts at dominance from Morph, I was just thinking "oh gosh not another dominant female. Do ANY males know how to be dominant?" (Speaking of Morph, he just did an adorable full on DBF in front of me. Sef is loafed at his rear end. They're butt-to-butt. )

I'm definitely intrigued to see whether statistically it would be 50/50 and I just seem to attract bossy and dominant does. Or if there is a gender bias towards one being dominant over the other.

I love rexes. I've had 4 - Lelantos was a chocolate mini rex (and my first), but got ill and died very quickly over Christmas. Helios & Selene came as a package. I didn't even know what breed Persephone was before I went to pick her up. All I knew was that she was an abandoned "white" rabbit in a flat. Then I discovered a mini rex in a hamster cage. So, it's only coincidental that I got her as my 4th rex-type. Their fur is magical, and I find them to be very good "people bunnies" - and very greedy! But I pretty much love any breed, hence why I have a fairly nice mix of mostly-medium sized buns. I also find lionheads to be pretty special as well. Morph looks like he's approximately 90% floof.

I have had 2 pairs and it was a male dominant for each.

RIP Milo. Spring 2004 - Sept 2013
    RIP Roo. Sept 2007 - April 2015

Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has strange thoughts about these things. As I saw Persephone refusing to back down to any attempts at dominance from Morph, I was just thinking "oh gosh not another dominant female. Do ANY males know how to be dominant?" (Speaking of Morph, he just did an adorable full on DBF in front of me. Sef is loafed at his rear end. They're butt-to-butt. )

I'm definitely intrigued to see whether statistically it would be 50/50 and I just seem to attract bossy and dominant does. Or if there is a gender bias towards one being dominant over the other.

I love rexes. I've had 4 - Lelantos was a chocolate mini rex (and my first), but got ill and died very quickly over Christmas. Helios & Selene came as a package. I didn't even know what breed Persephone was before I went to pick her up. All I knew was that she was an abandoned "white" rabbit in a flat. Then I discovered a mini rex in a hamster cage. So, it's only coincidental that I got her as my 4th rex-type. Their fur is magical, and I find them to be very good "people bunnies" - and very greedy! But I pretty much love any breed, hence why I have a fairly nice mix of mostly-medium sized buns. I also find lionheads to be pretty special as well. Morph looks like he's approximately 90% floof.
    I would love a look at those statistics! All my females have been feisty. Though generally not at all aggressive towards humans. They've all been spayed as well.

I've only had 2 rexes - my first was a chocolate otter I had as a teenager called Hazel. He was the softest, most exuberant and smartest animal I've ever met. He was like the family dog and followed me everywhere. People used to ask if he was a hare. He lived to a ripe old age and I was devastated when he died.

My second is my current male - a black otter mini named Lupin. He is very, very cheeky and funny

I love them all, lionheads too. The floofy cheeks!

I've only got the two females. Daphne is the boss though.she's a very feisty girl and knows exactly what she wants. Phoebe is very laid back so I guess it's just them.
    I feel if we got a male, Daphne would still be boss. She likes being in charge.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

I'd like to say Mylo, she's definitely in charge at feeding time but then she's also the one who does all the grooming! I'm not even sure it's a dominance thing though, she will literally chase Theo around just to lick his head - She was always an odd one!

I've only had 3 pairs in the past and each time the doe was top bun, or liked to think she was. I had a girl standard Rex and she would try and steal all the treats for herself but my buck would grab them back. I'm down to a single bun now and she's a feisty one, she's sweet and lovely with me but I need to pair her up with a laid back male.