• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray advice

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Hey guys
I was hoping to get a little bit of advice in regards to retraining my boys to use their litter trays.
When Hiro got poorly he completely stopped using his little tray, Sylar soon followed and we probably didn't help matters by leaving food and hay all over the house to encourage him to eat.
Now that he's feeling a little better we want to try and get them using their litter trays again. They do wee and poop in them but they also poop all over the floor.
We don't leave any food lying around on the floor anymore and we are picking up all the poops and either putting them in the bin or back in the litter trays but we are at a bit of a loss of what else to do.
Its not the end of the world but they had such good litter tray habits before and as much as I love studying their poops, having to pick up 100 off my carpet every morning isn't my favourite pastime :lol:
Any advice welcome!

Hi, do you perhaps have an x-pen or dog crate they could spend some time in with the litter tray? Then gradually increase their space until they're free range again? This is a right PITA though (and feels so mean) so understand if you're reluctant. Alternatively you could shut them in there when they mess outside the tray for 5 or 10 minutes.

If they are messing in particular areas you could try using snappy trainers (little clapping devices used as a deterrent in dog training).

I have heard that these methods work. In reality I am too soft to implement them :?

I have a crate and an x-pen actually but I am a little reluctant. Mainly because Hiro has head tilt and it's taken bim so long to get used to being free range again and I don't want to confuse him. It's definitely an option though and if it carries on it may be something that we have to consider.
Unfortunately they seem to be popping out everywhere :roll: I can understand Hiro having the odd accident but Sykar has no excuse at all!!!

Back