• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis in new bunnies

Zero

New Kit
Hello,

I adopted two rabbits about 2 1/2 weeks ago, noticed one of them had red eyes on Sunday but didn't think much of it, was worse on Monday and they were at the vets yesterday being diagnosed with myxi. I don't know if they had been vaccinated and pets at home didn't have much history on them either. The vet was quite honest with me, saying there isn't much chance of them surviving but it is possible, so I am going to try my best for them.

Does anyone have an idea of a timeline for how it develops? They have been the same pretty much the last few days, eyes, mouth and genitals swollen, breathing sounds mucusy and they are lethargic. But they are still eating and Rodgers is stamping a bit every so often when I annoy her too much. I am prepared for the worst with this but just want to know how quickly it usually gets really bad.

Also does anyone know of any vets in or around East Yorkshire that might have experience treating myxi or is at least good with rabbits? I was given medication for 5 days as the vet said I should have a good idea after that if they are likely to survive or if its kinder to euthanise, she said I can go back but it wasn't that close and a vet with myxi experience might have a better idea of medications.

Thanks for reading

Hello,

I adopted two rabbits about 2 1/2 weeks ago, noticed one of them had red eyes on Sunday but didn't think much of it, was worse on Monday and they were at the vets yesterday being diagnosed with myxi. I don't know if they had been vaccinated and pets at home didn't have much history on them either. The vet was quite honest with me, saying there isn't much chance of them surviving but it is possible, so I am going to try my best for them.

Does anyone have an idea of a timeline for how it develops? They have been the same pretty much the last few days, eyes, mouth and genitals swollen, breathing sounds mucusy and they are lethargic. But they are still eating and Rodgers is stamping a bit every so often when I annoy her too much. I am prepared for the worst with this but just want to know how quickly it usually gets really bad.

Also does anyone know of any vets in or around East Yorkshire that might have experience treating myxi or is at least good with rabbits? I was given medication for 5 days as the vet said I should have a good idea after that if they are likely to survive or if its kinder to euthanise, she said I can go back but it wasn't that close and a vet with myxi experience might have a better idea of medications.

Thanks for reading

Oh dear, I am sorry :cry:

What medication are they on ? It should be an antibiotic and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory (to try to reduce the swelling, especially in and around the nose.

Santa on here is currently nursing a Rabbit with Myxomatosis. The Rabbit had definitely been vaccinated though. This is Santa's thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?457959-Now-myxomatosis-at-invisabuns

There are full details about Myxomatosis here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Myxo/Myxo.htm

Crab Lane Vets in Harogate are very Rabbit Savvy, but I guess they are too far away from you ?

http://www.crablanevets.co.uk/

I'll put a thread up in Rabbit Chat for you requesting Vet recommendations in East Yorkshire.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...East-Yorkshire-*URGENT*&p=6809196#post6809196

I'm sorry to read this, I hope they can recover. Not sure what area of east Yorkshire you are in but when my rabbits and I lives there I went to Garth Veterinary practice in Beeford and never had any issues with the rabbits and would trust them, particularly Ricardo. I've heard some good reviews on the vets4pets in Hull, but have never used these myself so would suggest to do some research first.

Hello,

Thanks for reading

Hi Zero, and welcome to the Forum

I am so sorry to hear about your rabbits :cry:

There is a member on here who has a great wealth of experience of Myxi. Her name is Parnsipbun. I suggest you send her a PM asap, as she is very busy and isn't on here all the time.

In the meantime these links may be of some help, as they are from her own experiences.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Malcolm'sdiary-updatedSummer2011

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=myxomatosis

It is most important that the rabbit is given Metacam, an anti inflammatory and also an antibiotic.

How is his breathing at the moment?

Thanks for replying all :)

They are on baytril 2ml once a day (other vets seem to have said split it to 1ml twice a day though?) metacam 1ml once a day and bisolvon. Sounds like they'll need some ointment for the eyes if and when they swell more. I've also been flushing the eyes twice a day to clean them as well as keeping their genitals clean, putting them in the bathroom twice a day while the shower is running hot (recommended for rats with URIs...) and giving water in a syringe after their medication in case they aren't drinking enough.

I tried local vets first but they sound so pessimistic which makes me not want to take my buns there, so off to hull we go! Their medication seems pretty standard but I would like an experienced rabbit vet to assess them, we are going Friday to Haven vets, Kim Barrow is on Frances Harcourt-Brown's list of vets who have attended meetings so fingers crossed! These rabbits better make it through since at this rate they are going to bankrupt me!

Their breathing doesn't sound too bad when they are resting, but when they move around you can really hear it, one being worse than the other so far.

Last edited:

They are on baytril 2ml once a day (other vets seem to have said split it to 1ml twice a day though?) metacam 1ml once a day and bisolvon. Sounds like they'll need some ointment for the eyes if and when they swell more. I've also been flushing the eyes twice a day to clean them as well as keeping their genitals clean, putting them in the bathroom twice a day while the shower is running hot (recommended for rats with URIs...) and giving water in a syringe after their medication in case they aren't drinking enough.

I tried local vets first but they sound so pessimistic which makes me not want to take my buns there, so off to hull we go! Their medication seems pretty standard but I would like an experienced rabbit vet to assess them, we are going Friday to Haven vets, Kim Barrow is on Frances Harcourt-Brown's list of vets who have attended meetings so fingers crossed! These rabbits better make it through since at this rate they are going to bankrupt me!

Their breathing doesn't sound too bad when they are resting, but when they move around you can really hear it, one being worse than the other so far.

I hope the Rabbits can remain as stable as possible until Friday. The Vet there may consider changing the abx to an injectable Penicillin rather than oral Baytril.

Re the Baytril, it is thought that a once a day full dose gives greater bioavailability than giving the dose 12 hourly. So once daily dosing is considered preferable.

Are they eating enough ?

Ah ok, vets know better than me I'm sure but wanted to check!

They are eating but I don't think they are eating as much as they were, I ordered some critical care that should arrive tomorrow, do you think I should start feeding that anyway?

Ah ok, vets know better than me I'm sure but wanted to check!

They are eating but I don't think they are eating as much as they were, I ordered some critical care that should arrive tomorrow, do you think I should start feeding that anyway?

If they are eating something and their poo output is OK then I'd probably not rush to syringe feed too. Syringe feeding a Rabbit with a compromised respiratory tract is both stressful and risky. The risk of the Rabbit aspirating a feed is greater if they are having trouble breathing through their nose.

Are you weighing them ? I'd want to be doing so daily if possible. If they are losing weight every day then I think supplementing feeds may become necessary. It's really a case of considering risks v potential benefits.

They may be tempted by some pungent smelling fresh herbs such as Coriander or Fenugreek (AKA 'Methi' )

Are you taking their temperatures ? Hopefully the antipyretic properties of Metacam will address any ongoing fever x

You're welcome :wave:

It's a really horrible thing to be dealing with.

I think you are doing all you can at the moment with them, which is a lot! Yes, it does sound like they will bankrupt you, but I really hope they both pull through.

I hope their breathing doesn't get any worse - that's one of the worst symptoms of myxi :(

Good luck for Friday. I hope all goes well and thank you for posting xx

Well today I am feeling hopeful, which is probably dangerous. They seem a bit more inquisitive today but I'm not sure if they are more snuffly. Eyes are pretty much the same, keeping them clean and they still aren't swollen shut. They are still eating I can see as they nibbled through most of the dry food I gave them last night before tipping over the dish (stomping about!) Maybe they are just getting more used to me holding them but they were fighting me a bit more this morning when it was med time, which I think is a good sign.

Fingers firmly crossed they stay fairly steady. I am going to be the loudest advocate for rabbit vaccinations after this. This is only day 4, I know if they do make it through we will still have a few weeks to go.

Well today I am feeling hopeful, which is probably dangerous. They seem a bit more inquisitive today but I'm not sure if they are more snuffly. Eyes are pretty much the same, keeping them clean and they still aren't swollen shut. They are still eating I can see as they nibbled through most of the dry food I gave them last night before tipping over the dish (stomping about!) Maybe they are just getting more used to me holding them but they were fighting me a bit more this morning when it was med time, which I think is a good sign.

Fingers firmly crossed they stay fairly steady. I am going to be the loudest advocate for rabbit vaccinations after this. This is only day 4, I know if they do make it through we will still have a few weeks to go.

I really hope they can both pull through x

Fingers crossed here that they will pull through :wave:

Back