• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone experienced a bun surviving Mixi ?

Morning All,

Sorry to say that I had to let Fluff go yesterday, he went downhill quite quickly and his breathing started to get worse again. His eyes had improved a tiny bit but his nose had not . The main problem was his mouth he had been eating but bouncing his mouth off and tilting his head to get at things in the most comfortable way. He looked so sad and unhappy and whilst encouraging him to eat he just looked at me and seemed to say enough .

The vet ... a new one at our practice saw him yesterday she had seen him several times discussed various options and there was the option of admitting him and starting penicillin injections and fluids and syringe feeding but he was so tired and his mouth so sore I had promised him to let him go when he had enough.

Obvuiously now I wish I had gone down the route of treatment, but deep down I know he had enough. I will always think should have we done the daily injections ... what if ...

Cant do that though as will send myself crazy.

Thank you for all your support and advice it was all really usefull ...

Lisa x

Lisa, Fluff let you know what he needed you to do for him. You and only you were the one in the position to be able to read his needs. Whilst now questioning yourself is only to be expected, I think most of us do that when we have to let one of our Rabbits go. But you did what was right for Fluff.

RIP Fluff-Bunny xx

I am so sorry to hear about Fluff :cry:
Thinking of you and sending comforting hugs your way. I empathize with the equivocating and self questioning. Be kind to yourself, you did what you thought was best for him and it is a hard enough decision without second guessing it. Fluff is at peace now. And I'm sure he would not want you to be hard on yourself. ((((((Huge hugs)))))))
Binky free, Fluff. xxxx

Morning All,

Sorry to say that I had to let Fluff go yesterday, he went downhill quite quickly and his breathing started to get worse again. His eyes had improved a tiny bit but his nose had not . The main problem was his mouth he had been eating but bouncing his mouth off and tilting his head to get at things in the most comfortable way. He looked so sad and unhappy and whilst encouraging him to eat he just looked at me and seemed to say enough .

The vet ... a new one at our practice saw him yesterday she had seen him several times discussed various options and there was the option of admitting him and starting penicillin injections and fluids and syringe feeding but he was so tired and his mouth so sore I had promised him to let him go when he had enough.

Obvuiously now I wish I had gone down the route of treatment, but deep down I know he had enough. I will always think should have we done the daily injections ... what if ...

Cant do that though as will send myself crazy.

Thank you for all your support and advice it was all really usefull ...

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Sadly I had to let Clover go too a couple of days ago, she was similarly struggling with breathing and couldn't eat unassisted due to the nodule on her chin extending up to her mouth. We both tried everything we could and gave them the best possible chance, it's just too much of an awful disease! I just though even if she could make it through, I couldn't put her through anymore weeks of suffering to get there. She had so many nodules on her legs too that when they burst out it would have been horrendous. I just hope that they can make improvements to the vaccine so less beautiful bunnies have to go through such a terrible ordeal.

Hope you feel better soon and don't let the guilt and what ifs consume you, we did our best xx

Hi Lisa,

Sadly I had to let Clover go too a couple of days ago, she was similarly struggling with breathing and couldn't eat unassisted due to the nodule on her chin extending up to her mouth. We both tried everything we could and gave them the best possible chance, it's just too much of an awful disease! I just though even if she could make it through, I couldn't put her through anymore weeks of suffering to get there. She had so many nodules on her legs too that when they burst out it would have been horrendous. I just hope that they can make improvements to the vaccine so less beautiful bunnies have to go through such a terrible ordeal.

Hope you feel better soon and don't let the guilt and what ifs consume you, we did our best xx

So sorry that you lost Clover xxx it is an evil "disease" xx

I am feeling better now thank you, I know I did the best for him .... miss him dreadfully.

Binky is still inside getting lots of love. I think my husband dare not ask yet why she is not back outside yet .:D

Hi Lisa,

I am so sorry to see this about Clover :cry: It is truly a horrid virus :evil:

Back