• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone experienced a bun surviving Mixi ?

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
Hi All,

Last Thursday I noticed that Fluff looked like he had hayfever heavy eyes slightly off his food. Took him to the vet and they could not see the swelling and thought it was more likely a dental as he had the start of tooth spurs.

When we took him the next day they realised checking him over that he has Mixi .

He had two days in the vets under their care, I have been looking after him at home since He is on Emprid, Baytrill and Metocarm . He is still eating and was trying to chase his wife arounfd the indoor cage we have.

However last night he is becoming v snuffly and is panting slightly more. He sounds puffy when he breathes after eating as it is obviously a struggle... similar to us when we have very bad cold.

We are booked in to the vets today for 10.45..

So am hoping that someone has experience in this he is vaccinated . The vets have a new vet that nursed a rabbit through ... has anyone else managed it as I really don't want to loose my boy but equally /I don't want to prolong suffering for him either..

Hi All,

Last Thursday I noticed that Fluff looked like he had hayfever heavy eyes slightly off his food. Took him to the vet and they could not see the swelling and thought it was more likely a dental as he had the start of tooth spurs.

When we took him the next day they realised checking him over that he has Mixi .

He had two days in the vets under their care, I have been looking after him at home since He is on Emprid, Baytrill and Metocarm . He is still eating and was trying to chase his wife arounfd the indoor cage we have.

However last night he is becoming v snuffly and is panting slightly more. He sounds puffy when he breathes after eating as it is obviously a struggle... similar to us when we have very bad cold.

So am hoping that someone has experience in this he is vaccinated . The vets have a new vet that nursed a rabbit through ... has anyone else managed it as I really don't want to loose my boy but equally /I don't want to prolong suffering for him either..

I am really sorry to hear this. A few people on here have had vaccinated Rabbits who have survived Myxomatosis, hopefully one of them will see this thread. This previous thread may be worth looking at in the meantime

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=myxomatosis

and some more info here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Malcolm'sdiary-updatedSummer2011.pdf

Last edited:
I have had a vaccinated rabbit survive Myxi. I really feel for you as it it very distressing to manage. The main thing I think is to not expect a speedy recovery and not to give up too soon. We kept the poorly rabbit with his two bonded partners the whole time.

My rabbit had one swollen eye, which within a couple of days became closed. The other eye was swollen, but not so much. He developed nodules, mostly above the very swollen eye and around the top of the head area. The very swollen eye had a discharge. He had a fever. He acted normally for a few days, but then developed anorexia and had to be syringe-fed. The vet said his chest was not clear, but he didn't appear to have laboured breathing.

He was treated with Metacam, Penicillin injections every other day and eye drops. It's hard to remember but I think the acute stage lasted somewhere between 10 and 14 days. Up until this time I found it difficult to assess whether he would survive.

He first started eating his beloved Sow Thistles and gradually over the next few days became more normal. The nodules scabbed over and eventually the scabs fell off.

I think it is not the Myxi virus, which causes death, but secondary problems such as anorexia and secondary infections. This is why, in my view, it is important to have strong antibiotic cover. You may wish to discuss with your vet whether Penicillin injections rather than Baytril would give him a better chance.

I have had a vaccinated rabbit survive Myxi. I really feel for you as it it very distressing to manage. The main thing I think is to not expect a speedy recovery and not to give up too soon. We kept the poorly rabbit with his two bonded partners the whole time.

My rabbit had one swollen eye, which within a couple of days became closed. The other eye was swollen, but not so much. He developed nodules, mostly above the very swollen eye and around the top of the head area. The very swollen eye had a discharge. He had a fever. He acted normally for a few days, but then developed anorexia and had to be syringe-fed. The vet said his chest was not clear, but he didn't appear to have laboured breathing.

He was treated with Metacam, Penicillin injections every other day and eye drops. It's hard to remember but I think the acute stage lasted somewhere between 10 and 14 days. Up until this time I found it difficult to assess whether he would survive.

He first started eating his beloved Sow Thistles and gradually over the next few days became more normal. The nodules scabbed over and eventually the scabs fell off.

I think it is not the Myxi virus, which causes death, but secondary problems such as anorexia and secondary infections. This is why, in my view, it is important to have strong antibiotic cover. You may wish to discuss with your vet whether Penicillin injections rather than Baytril would give him a better chance.

I agree with Omi re the choice of antibiotic x

He had two days in the vets under their care, I have been looking after him at home since He is on Emprid, Baytrill and Metocarm . He is still eating and was trying to chase his wife around the indoor cage we have.

There is another rabbit? Quarantine him, somewhere where he will not contanimate their living area, and move the other rabbit somewhere none of your rabbits has been before, and clean everything thoroughly, and follow strict quarentine procedures. Have a close eye on the other rabbit. At least that's what I would do.

I lost all (14) but one rabbit (which spent 8 months in my kitchen) in my first year with rabbits to Myxo, but they were not vaccinated (never heard of Myxo before) and after finding out what I was dealing with I didn't let them suffer too long. We had a very high wild rabbit population here, didn't see any for one year after that outbrake.

I agree with Omi re the choice of antibiotic x

Thank you all, Discussed this at the vets this morning we are going back tomorrow for injections sadly did not have any stock suitable for rabbits..

I hate this I want to have a tantrum as I did everything "right"... He is such a lovely feisty boy .

Hi All,

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

How did you get on at the vets?

Thank you all, Discussed this at the vets this morning we are going back tomorrow for injections sadly did not have any stock suitable for rabbits..

I hate this I want to have a tantrum as I did everything "right"... He is such a lovely feisty boy .

Sometimes these things happen no matter how careful we are. Your Rabbit does have a fighting chance as he is vaccinated. Being 'feisty' will certainly work in his favour too. I hope the Vets get the Penicillin injections in for you tomorrow x

I'm so sorry. It's just not fair :(

I can fully understand this feeling, but I tried not to feel this. The fact that you have done everything right and he was vaccinated means that he stands a very good chance of surviving. Catching Myx is purely random, just chance. I have three rabbits living together, why did one particular rabbit get infected and not either one of the other two. It could be of course that the rabbit did not develop a fully robust immune response to the vaccination. I will never know. The vaccination of course does not provide 100% protection.

It is possible for your rabbit to survive and you are now again "doing everything right" for him. Sending loads of vibes for him.

Hi, sorry to hear your boy is poorly :( I had a vaccinated bun that survived myxomatosis in 2008 (a very bad year for it due to flooding in the UK) they need a lot of tlc but they can come through the other side. My boy was on Baytril for around 6 weeks in total to keep the secondary infections at bay. I will try to help if you have any questions...lots of luck to you and your bunny ❤

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your replies xx He has had his second lot of meds and had a good chew of the syringe at the same time .... :lol: He is still eating o hhis own and out of our hands .. hope the injections help tomorrow ! Its good to know that there is a bit of home however small xx

Thank you so much for your replies xx He has had his second lot of meds and had a good chew of the syringe at the same time .... :lol: He is still eating o hhis own and out of our hands .. hope the injections help tomorrow ! Its good to know that there is a bit of home however small xx

I'm very sorry to hear about your bunny, but I am also glad not to be alone, as my bun was diagnosed with myxy just yesterday morning after my mum noticed her eyes were weepy and puffy on Sunday. Unfortunately I am away doing a research project at uni currently, so I can't care for her myself, but it will be helpful to hear progress of another rabbit, as I like yourself do not want her to have a long drawn out period of suffering to then have to PTS. She is 6 and has been vaccinated for the last four years, so I am hoping that will give her a fighting chance!

I'm very sorry to hear about your bunny, but I am also glad not to be alone, as my bun was diagnosed with myxy just yesterday morning after my mum noticed her eyes were weepy and puffy on Sunday. Unfortunately I am away doing a research project at uni currently, so I can't care for her myself, but it will be helpful to hear progress of another rabbit, as I like yourself do not want her to have a long drawn out period of suffering to then have to PTS. She is 6 and has been vaccinated for the last four years, so I am hoping that will give her a fighting chance!

I am so sorry that your Rabbit has also contracted the awful virus. As you say, the fact that she is vaccinated does give her a fighting chance. I really hope that she will pull through .

Welcome to the Forum and I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit.

As she has been vaccinated, the chances are she will pull through.

Sending you and her loads of getting well vibes xx

Oh no :( its so scary isn't it xx It has been a week now since we first noticed and Thursday he started treatment. His breathing is still laboured but he has left the hay box more today and is starting to fight more when I give him meds. He is still eating from hands and by himself and drinking. There has been several moments when I have thought are we doing the right thing.. but we are seeing teeny tiny bunny hops in the right direction. I managed to wipe his eyes today. His nose is quite bunged up and I tried to wipe that with a damp bit of kit roll... He let me know in no uncertain terms that was not happening.

I found he will tolerate me picking at the excess though very gently and slowly with my nail ... Hope your bunny makes progress xx it is v worrying xx

Oh no :( its so scary isn't it xx It has been a week now since we first noticed and Thursday he started treatment. His breathing is still laboured but he has left the hay box more today and is starting to fight more when I give him meds. He is still eating from hands and by himself and drinking. There has been several moments when I have thought are we doing the right thing.. but we are seeing teeny tiny bunny hops in the right direction. I managed to wipe his eyes today. His nose is quite bunged up and I tried to wipe that with a damp bit of kit roll... He let me know in no uncertain terms that was not happening.

I found he will tolerate me picking at the excess though very gently and slowly with my nail ... Hope your bunny makes progress xx it is v worrying xx

Hi Fluffs Mum :wave:

Really pleased to hear your bun is making baby steps of progress !! Brilliant that things are going in the right direction.

Sending more get better vibes xx

Sending lots of healing vibes your way.

Myxi isn't something I ever expected, but I guess that's why so many don't vaccinate. What a horrible virus.

I am so sorry that your Rabbit has also contracted the awful virus. As you say, the fact that she is vaccinated does give her a fighting chance. I really hope that she will pull through .

Welcome to the Forum and I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit.

As she has been vaccinated, the chances are she will pull through.

Sending you and her loads of getting well vibes xx

Thank you both for your support! She is doing quite well by the sound of things so far - looks awful, but still eating, despite losing some weight and grooming herself. Fingers crossed!

Back