• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New friend

Kobenhaven

New Kit
Hello Rabbit friends,
I have looked at this site several times for advice on my 9 1/2 year old house bunny and always found great help. Perhaps my years of rabbit experience could be useful for others.
I am a Recreation Therapist from Vancouver and have used my rabbits (past and present) for pet therapy groups with my patients and I've had a lot of exciting experieices witnessing the bonds between my pets and my patients. Its given me a very unique insight into rabbits personalities.
I've only ever had one or two rabbits at a time and they've always been house pets. I got my first bunny when I was 11 and have been a rabbit addict ever since.
My current 'baby' Kobe has made it clear that no other bunnies shall be living in her house (we had a couple of stressful experiences with bunny visitors :D ) but she has a minature poodle and a rescued cat she co-exists with in peace.
I'm looking forward to reading through the posts and getting to know all the bunny fanatics like me.

Welcome to RU! :) You're not too far from me, I live in Alaska (for now, will be moving to Oregon in a month or so.)

I have heard of rabbit pet therapy, but personally couldn't imagine taking a rabbit to a group situation, for my three are all very rabbity rabbits and high strung even for a vet visit. :roll: I think most folks here are of the same opinion, as most rabbits don't appreciate a lot of handling or going out of their 'safe spaces.' I realize not all rabbits are like that though. I met one in a pet store a few evenings ago that was the most mellow bunny I'd ever seen, waiting for his human to find him a nice plush carrier to ride in. :shock: He was eminently well behaved and friendly, even let me pet his ears! Obviously well loved and perhaps a bit spoiled if I may be so bold. ;)

I do have a Yorkie/Chihuahua cross that is my ESA, and my cousins on the east coast have one that does go to retirement homes and such to help the patients there feel a little less lonely. I think it's a great thing for the patients, the owners and the pets if they are accustomed or well suited to the job. :)

I hope we will see some photos of your animal companions. :D It's kind of an unwritten rule here that you must...well should...oh we'd love it if you'd come bearing photos of your dear ones. ;)

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll enjoy posting here. :wave: xx

Back