• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

Sgraft

New Kit
Hey. I recently ordered a 50lb box of western Timothy oxbow hay for my rabbits. When I opened the box I didn't think it looked right. I'd run out of my last bale and that was nice and fresh and green. This one smelt a little musty and had a lot of dead brown strands in it. It really felt damp too - I'm the process of trying to get a new box delivered out to me. Here are the pics - what do you think?

I just don't want to risk giving it to my rabbits and making them ill.

Also I am debating about ordering the orchard grass instead of the Timothy - what are your opinions on this too please??

Thank you
2qc3xwx.jpg

6fzfpf.jpg

I agree I wouldn't feed it to my bunnies, the most worrying aspect for me would be the musty smell but it shouldn't be damp either. I can't offer advice on the orchard grass, mine just get baled hale from a local farm shop (though they do trough their way through plenty of green oat readigrass too). I hope you get a refund

It doesn't look overly bad to me (but then I don't regularly feed this hay).
The bit that worry's me is the musty smell & dampness.

Have you tried getting some sample of different hay from the hay experts to find which hay they like best as this way you can then buy one that they will demolish.
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/taster-selection-sample-pack.html

I've done it with the girls and out of 5 samples we found 2 they loved & would demolish. (The also love the green oat readigrass too). We now only buy the hay that we know they'll demolish and it saves on waste. Thankfully one of the hays was a fairly cheap one (deans meadow hay) which we use for litter trays etc.

Hey. I recently ordered a 50lb box of western Timothy oxbow hay for my rabbits. When I opened the box I didn't think it looked right. I'd run out of my last bale and that was nice and fresh and green. This one smelt a little musty and had a lot of dead brown strands in it. It really felt damp too - I'm the process of trying to get a new box delivered out to me. Here are the pics - what do you think?

I just don't want to risk giving it to my rabbits and making them ill.

Also I am debating about ordering the orchard grass instead of the Timothy - what are your opinions on this too please??

Thank you
2qc3xwx.jpg

6fzfpf.jpg

Welcome to RU :wave:

If the hay looks or smells off, then don't feed it. I honestly wouldn't know from your photo, but any reservations and call the company and discuss. Mouldy hay can contain mycotoxins which are *extremely* dangerous for rabbits. Even dusty, damp hay can cause breathing difficulties.

If you're not sure what your rabbits would like, can the company send you a few samples?

The company who do Readigrass now do Timothy hay as well as the green oat hay and "normal" readigrass. Mine love it!

Back