• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with GI Stasis!

Lailajayne3

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice regarding stasis, as Miffy and Mylo have had the start of it quite a few times now.

They are house bunnies and I like to think that I can tell any changes of behaviour/not seeming quite right and I know that I can trust my instinct when it comes down to the pair of them.

I know that stasis can be brought on by stress and I do think that Miffy and Mylo are extremely sensitive bunnies! It seems whenever something changes ie I move some cardboard boxes around or add some more tiles (in the hot weather)… it seems to set them off and they stop eating.

So Mylo is just recovering from his 3rd bout of stasis (he is 1 year old) and I noticed it on Monday night (very late) so we took him to the vets Tuesday. He was given Metacam and we were told to syringe feed him Recovery food and 0.7ml a day of ranitidine. I also manage to syringe him some water as I know this is vital in getting their tummies moving again. Ranitidine seems to work incredibly well and when Miffy had stasis before this seemed to help her start eating.

Do you think some bunnies are more prone to stasis? I have been thinking and researching and feel that it would be good to set up a first aid kit full of supplies so I can help them as soon as possible. Do any of you have a first aid kit? If so, what do you have it in it? Is pineapple juice a good idea to have on hand?

Do you think eating too much cardboard will contribute to stasis?

I also give the buns a side plate of veggies a day and I was wondering whether I should give them things such as dried plantain, dandelion etc instead?

Thanks for any replies, I would love your thoughts on any of this as its extremely nerve wracking to go through and if I’m able to prevent it as soon as possible – i'd love to do so!

Thanks RU :love:

Last edited:
Hi, I hope that Mylo makes a full recovery from his Stasis episode.

I think that there are certainly things that you could try to see if they make a difference. I would definitely make sure that neither of them eat cardboard. My rabbits always have cardboard boxes to play with and will occasionally bite holes in them. I do find the cardboard shreds around the box though and so I don't think that they actually consume the pieces.

You could also try, as you've suggested, replacing the vegetables with herbs and/or fresh or dried forage. Some rabbits stomachs are more sensitive to vegetables than others and so it is certainly worth experimenting. Plantain is very good for digestion and so are bramble leaves.

Do they eat lots of hay and/or fresh grass? Are you feeding only a very small amount of pellets? You should be aiming for a diet that is high in fibre.

I do not give my rabbits pineapple juice, mainly because I do not feed them any types of fruit as it is high in sugar.

I have a very small first aid kit for the rabbits, but it does not contain any prescription medicines, as I would not give these without a vet examining the rabbit.

I hope you manage to find ways of preventing the instances in the future. As you say it is very stressful when they do not eat.

Hi, I hope that Mylo makes a full recovery from his Stasis episode.

I think that there are certainly things that you could try to see if they make a difference. I would definitely make sure that neither of them eat cardboard. My rabbits always have cardboard boxes to play with and will occasionally bite holes in them. I do find the cardboard shreds around the box though and so I don't think that they actually consume the pieces.

You could also try, as you've suggested, replacing the vegetables with herbs and/or fresh or dried forage. Some rabbits stomachs are more sensitive to vegetables than others and so it is certainly worth experimenting. Plantain is very good for digestion and so are bramble leaves.

Do they eat lots of hay and/or fresh grass? Are you feeding only a very small amount of pellets? You should be aiming for a diet that is high in fibre.

I do not give my rabbits pineapple juice, mainly because I do not feed them any types of fruit as it is high in sugar.

I have a very small first aid kit for the rabbits, but it does not contain any prescription medicines, as I would not give these without a vet examining the rabbit.

I hope you manage to find ways of preventing the instances in the future. As you say it is very stressful when they do not eat.
Mostly this but I do have a first aid kit with prescription only medications. However these are not given without first consulting with a vet.

I have Ellas natural baby food, recovery food and syringes to help boost their eating if they ever go into stasis.

You could also look into different stress remedies to help reduce their general daily stress. Mine always have a pet remedy plug in for their room which I've noticed really makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice regarding stasis, as Miffy and Mylo have had the start of it quite a few times now.

They are house bunnies and I like to think that I can tell any changes of behaviour/not seeming quite right and I know that I can trust my instinct when it comes down to the pair of them.

I know that stasis can be brought on by stress and I do think that Miffy and Mylo are extremely sensitive bunnies! It seems whenever something changes ie I move some cardboard boxes around or add some more tiles (in the hot weather)… it seems to set them off and they stop eating.

So Mylo is just recovering from his 3rd bout of stasis (he is 1 year old) and I noticed it on Monday night (very late) so we took him to the vets Tuesday. He was given Metacam and we were told to syringe feed him Recovery food and 0.7ml a day of ranitidine. I also manage to syringe him some water as I know this is vital in getting their tummies moving again. Ranitidine seems to work incredibly well and when Miffy had stasis before this seemed to help her start eating.

Do you think some bunnies are more prone to stasis? I have been thinking and researching and feel that it would be good to set up a first aid kit full of supplies so I can help them as soon as possible. Do any of you have a first aid kit? If so, what do you have it in it? Is pineapple juice a good idea to have on hand?

I also give the buns a side plate of veggies a day and I was wondering whether I should give them things such as dried plantain, dandelion etc instead?

Thanks for any replies, I would love your thoughts on any of this as its extremely nerve wracking to go through and if I’m able to prevent it as soon as possible – i'd love to do so!

I notice you don't mention any gut motility meds for the stasis episodes. (unless I've missed you saying it?). This would be essential to get the gut working properly and quickly again.

If stasis is recurring, I would talk with the vet about finding out the cause. Yes, some bunnies get more stasis episodes, but it's for a reason. A rabbit rarely gets stasis time after time for no reason.

How is their hay eating? Do they eat hay, readigrass (freeze dried grass - very tasty) and fresh grass? These are the best things to keep the gut in good working order.

For stasis episodes I use Infacol (an infant gas remedy) and tummy rubs. There's some good info here, and it might be an idea to keep these articles handy when these things happen late at night when your usual vet is closed.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Metoclopromide - a gut stimulant, can be given at the same time as Zantac (which is Ranitidine). Both work on the gut, but in different ways and on different parts.

And yes, cardboard isn't recommended - especially if they eat too much. You could put hay into seagrass baskets and they can rip them to shreds. That would be more healthy for them!

Good luck xx

Hi everyone,

I am sorry to hear of your Rabbit's GI tract issues. I hope that the Metacam and Ranitidine have helped Mylo during his latest episode. Ranitidine is a good medication to use to treat gut stasis as it has a dual action, it has both prokinetic and an anti-ulcer properties. Some Vets may also use another prokinetic called Metoclopramide. This has a different mode of action to Ranitidine. Metoclop' acts on the upper GI tract, Ranitidine the lower GI tract to promote gastric motility.

Repeated episodes of gut stasis usually occur as a secondary symptom, rather than an 'illness' in it's own right. Often this is related to the Rabbit's diet. In order for us to offer you a bit more advice perhaps you could list what your Rabbits are fed daily and how much. The usual problem can be that the Rabbit is fed too many pellets/Veg and they then do not eat enough hay. Hay should make up 80%-90% of a Rabbit's diet, Pellets should be fed as a bare minimum. I do not feed healthy adult Rabbits a pellet feed at all. I feed a variety of hays and grasses, dried and fresh forages and dried and fresh herbs. Since changing to this regime I have not had one Rabbit in Gut stasis (let's hope I am not tempting fate by stating that !)

You can obtain some information about what is best to feed Pet Rabbits here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Wow, Thanks for all your great replies and useful links x

I think it has made me question the amount of hay the buns really do eat and that I do think I need to look into their diet a lot more. Miffy and Mylo have an egg cup of Science Selective pellets in the morning and an egg cup in the evening. They also have unlimited hay in their hay pen and have a side plate of veggies each night.

When at the vets, he definitely wasn't given metoclopramide and was given one dose of Metacam?

From reading through everything, grass seems to be highly recommended.. so I think I might slowly introduce this into their diet. Also I would like to give more herbs and forage as thinking of a wild rabbit, this is what they’re designed to eat and rummage around for (as opposed to having a perfect plate of veggies all cut up etc!)

I am going to encourage them to eat more hay, and put it around their room (as well as their hay pen) so they almost can't get away from it and have to eat it!

Mylo seems to be eating cardboard from his cardboard boxes so we have taken these out of the room.. its difficult as his sister shreds them but he seems to enjoy eating it all! Do you know where i could buy some seagrass baskets?

Thanks for all the help, Mylo has started eating a bit and i have seen quite a few little poos around which is a good sign! I think like you've all mentioned that there must be something underlying which is causing the stasis to reoccur and the only thing i can think of is their diet... so its just thinking of different methods to feed more hay, forage, grass etc... to mimic a wild bunnies diet and hopefully keep them happy little buns xx

You can get Seagrass baskets from amazon, pets at home, barks and bunnies, zooplus etc

Gosh, well once you've spent all your money, have a look at this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455755-my-foraging-diary and see how some of us use diy methods :lol:

Yes, I'm a towny and there's a distinct lack of foraging opportunities here. That that there is is no doubt horribly polluted !

Yes, I would do the same in your position. I am very careful about where I get forage from. I'm very grateful that we have a large, very "natural" garden, which produces most of my forage.

Wow, Thanks for all your great replies and useful links x

I think it has made me question the amount of hay the buns really do eat and that I do think I need to look into their diet a lot more. Miffy and Mylo have an egg cup of Science Selective pellets in the morning and an egg cup in the evening. They also have unlimited hay in their hay pen and have a side plate of veggies each night.

When at the vets, he definitely wasn't given metoclopramide and was given one dose of Metacam?

From reading through everything, grass seems to be highly recommended.. so I think I might slowly introduce this into their diet. Also I would like to give more herbs and forage as thinking of a wild rabbit, this is what they’re designed to eat and rummage around for (as opposed to having a perfect plate of veggies all cut up etc!)

I am going to encourage them to eat more hay, and put it around their room (as well as their hay pen) so they almost can't get away from it and have to eat it!

Mylo seems to be eating cardboard from his cardboard boxes so we have taken these out of the room.. its difficult as his sister shreds them but he seems to enjoy eating it all! Do you know where i could buy some seagrass baskets?

Thanks for all the help, Mylo has started eating a bit and i have seen quite a few little poos around which is a good sign! I think like you've all mentioned that there must be something underlying which is causing the stasis to reoccur and the only thing i can think of is their diet... so its just thinking of different methods to feed more hay, forage, grass etc... to mimic a wild bunnies diet and hopefully keep them happy little buns xx

You're very welcome :wave:

I give my rabbits one egg cup of pellets between them in the morning. Evening is fresh veggies and forage.

Have a look at these links for some ideas:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/gallery/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

Rabbits also love (usually!) readigrass. If my foster or boarding rabbits need to get more fibre I often feed them a bowl a day of this to encourage them. It's really good for the gut and for wearing down the teeth, and has roughly the same amount of calories as normal hay.

Grass is also good, as opposed to hay, because it contains moisture, and that's essential for passage of food through the GI tract.

I should also ask your vet about more Metacam to give at home during these times, and some Metaclopromide

Good luck xx

Haha! thanks for all the links - I'm sure i'll do a bit of shopping later :lol:

Roughly, How much forage do you feed per day? and do you feed mostly dried or do you try and get fresh stuff as well?

They do have things such as dried plantain, dried dandelion etc... would you feed more of this and lower the amount of fresh veg (kale, romaine lettuce...)

Also, for those who feed grass and readigrass, how much do you recommend feeding per day?

I will add everything into their diet gradually though.. I think its just getting the right balance of hay, forage pellets etc.

Mighty Max - I notice you've said you only feed one egg cup of pellets between your buns - do you think that two egg cups is too much? x

Thanks everyone xxx

That's a very cute bunny in your avatar. I can never really tell how much hay mine eat as they are given huge quantities in their litter trays when they are changed each morning. They are certainly more keen on forage - fresh or dried, I don't think it matters . I give my 3 about 500g minimum of fresh forage daily in summer - its a hefty pile. They all love readigrass but green oat readigrass trumps anything else I give them (excl nuggets) - they share 1k a week which I sprinkle on top of the hay when it has been changed. My boy bun has been in stasis twice, one was definitely attributable to him being scared, my girls have never had an issue so far.

I too would remove the cardboard if its being consumed

Haha! thanks for all the links - I'm sure i'll do a bit of shopping later :lol:

Roughly, How much forage do you feed per day? and do you feed mostly dried or do you try and get fresh stuff as well?

They do have things such as dried plantain, dried dandelion etc... would you feed more of this and lower the amount of fresh veg (kale, romaine lettuce...)

Also, for those who feed grass and readigrass, how much do you recommend feeding per day?

I will add everything into their diet gradually though.. I think its just getting the right balance of hay, forage pellets etc.

Mighty Max - I notice you've said you only feed one egg cup of pellets between your buns - do you think that two egg cups is too much? x

Thanks everyone xxx

Two egg cups would be too much for my rabbits, as I want them to eat their hay and readigrass. Do you have a couple of whopping buns? Size can make a difference to the amount, but not greatly so I find.

I free feed readigrass and have never had a problem with it being too 'rich' or anything like that. You can ration it if you like and get them to eat more hay. I also free feed fresh grass. I find the eating of fibre limits itself and evens out, so they don't overdose on any one thing.

Regarding how much forage .. It depends on the rabbit. Some I find can't tolerate too much whilst others have a couple of handfuls. I use forage in place of supermarket veg. Yes definitely don't feed the same amount of supermarket veg if you're supplementing with forage.

What brand of pellets are you using?

Two egg cups would be too much for my rabbits, as I want them to eat their hay and readigrass. Do you have a couple of whopping buns? Size can make a difference to the amount, but not greatly so I find.

I free feed readigrass and have never had a problem with it being too 'rich' or anything like that. You can ration it if you like and get them to eat more hay. I also free feed fresh grass. I find the eating of fibre limits itself and evens out, so they don't overdose on any one thing.

Regarding how much forage .. It depends on the rabbit. Some I find can't tolerate too much whilst others have a couple of handfuls. I use forage in place of supermarket veg. Yes definitely don't feed the same amount of supermarket veg if you're supplementing with forage.

What brand of pellets are you using?

Miffy is around 2.2kg and Mylo a little less at 2kg. They are house bunnies so I would have to grow grass in trays for them or pick some out whilst on walks etc (then wash it!) Its annoying really as we have a good sized lawn, but we get it treated and I don't really want to feed that to the bunnies :?

I have some readigrass and have been using it as a 'treat' hay, so I'm going to up the amount that I give them I think. Mine seems to be quite dusty though? I might see if I can get a new bag of it soon x

I have been putting hay around the room as opposed to just in their hay pen and one thing I have noticed is they seem to be munching a bit more hay when they cant really get away from it :lol:

I did try some dried blackberry leaves last night from the Hay Experts, but they weren't too keen - Dried Plantain and Dandelion were a hit though!

They are fed on Science Selective pellets... around 2 times a week they get a half a fibre first stick as well... do you give yours treats? such as fenugreek crunchies etc? Or do you give something like a chunk of apple or banana as a treat? xx

Mine get treats during training sessions, but otherwise I see no real point as it loses its value.
They get shop brought forage in the evenings along with their pellets. Just keep trying different things. My girls hate plantin yet most rabbits love it.

Growing trays of plantin, grass, dandelions is easy.
I have a tray of dandelions which sits outside for rain etc.

If you're able to go out foraging, that'd be a good way to help save some money on shop brought forage.

I pop to the local woods every so often to do bags of foraging.

Miffy is around 2.2kg and Mylo a little less at 2kg. They are house bunnies so I would have to grow grass in trays for them or pick some out whilst on walks etc (then wash it!) Its annoying really as we have a good sized lawn, but we get it treated and I don't really want to feed that to the bunnies :?

I have some readigrass and have been using it as a 'treat' hay, so I'm going to up the amount that I give them I think. Mine seems to be quite dusty though? I might see if I can get a new bag of it soon x

I have been putting hay around the room as opposed to just in their hay pen and one thing I have noticed is they seem to be munching a bit more hay when they cant really get away from it :lol:

I did try some dried blackberry leaves last night from the Hay Experts, but they weren't too keen - Dried Plantain and Dandelion were a hit though!

They are fed on Science Selective pellets... around 2 times a week they get a half a fibre first stick as well... do you give yours treats? such as fenugreek crunchies etc? Or do you give something like a chunk of apple or banana as a treat? xx

Yes, that's a good idea to have hay and readigrass around the place :)

I have never given treats and I've never even seen a fenugreek crunchie :shock: But I think I'm in the minority so don't say it loud enough for my rabbits to hear :lol:

Occasionally they will get herbs - fresh coriander and dill go down really well. Parsley and Methi too. Methi is the fresh version of fenugreek, but healthier than a crunchie most probably :)

Re the readigrass - get a colander or big sieve and shake it about until a lot of the dust comes out. Chuck the dust as you don't want them breathing it in.

If you can't easily get access to fresh grass then yes use readigrass. Our three (greedy) rabbits get a bucket full of fresh grass a day between them. I don't think it's necessary to limit this, unless (as with anything else) you notice that it upsets their stomachs. I think that eating hay becomes something they do very naturally if it's there where they are sitting and relieves their boredom. They will almost without thinking pick up a few strands at a time, rather than treat it as a meal to be consumed quickly (if that makes sense).

I don't use supermarket veg at all. They get lots of forage (large handfuls) and also tree leaves and twigs to nibble the bark from. We grow some vegetables and herbs, so they get some of those but not regularly. I feed forage fresh when possible as they prefer it like that. If you happen to find some bramble leaves growing, whilst you are out somewhere I would try them.

Mine also have Science Selective pellets with one or two Fibafirst sticks a day. They do not have treats as such. I have Fenugreek Crunchies (which they love), but they are only used as a last resort to check whether a rabbit is eating and I really can't remember the last one they had. I use them only as I know if they are refused, I need to be concerned. I never feed any type of fruit.

Yes as you've said introduce new foods gradually.

Tonight, they've had some fresh grass, dandelion and raspberry leaves and seemed to love it! Not sure they'll be too impressed with the idea of not having a fenugreek crunchie very often though :lol:

Thanks for all your great advice, so pleased I asked about this as I definitely have lots to think about now and some great new ideas to gradually try :D xx

Back