• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jaspers Thymoma Update P81

Jasper out surveying the garden this morning

image_zpss6jmbevj.jpeg

Not surveying 'the' garden, surveying HIS garden !! :lol:

He's looking great :love:

Well its been a bit of a rocky road in the last few months since last update.

Jasper is bright and full of life so felt i owed him every chance with further treatment.

40 days after Jasper last treatment he went for CT scan and we got the bad new that his mass had double in size. this left the vets confused as Thymoma should not grow back as quick and they thought it might be a lymphoma hiding in mass.

So two weeks ago he went in for a more extensive biopsy with ultrasound but results still showed Thymoma.

The options were,

Further radiation therapy but having to wait another 4-6 months before that was possible, was ruled out.

Chemotherapy but as biopsy results were inconclusive that was ruled out.

Which left the two final options,

Medication and hope Jasper could see out his final months till a point where quality of life would be the final decision.

Chest surgery with high risk and remove mass but if successful then Jaspers life could be extend by years.

Its was an awful decision to make.

As Jasper is still his bossy and full of life rabbit, i wanted to give him every chance i could of a longer life.

So today he went in for surgery, i am glad to report the surgery went well and the vets said it went as well as it could be expected.

He is in Intensive care unit and if he makes it through the next 12- 24 hr period hopefully he will be through it all.

So fingers crossed for my brave boy in the coming days.

Well its been a bit of a rocky road in the last few months since last update.

Jasper is bright and full of life so felt i owed him every chance with further treatment.

40 days after Jasper last treatment he went for CT scan and we got the bad new that his mass had double in size. this left the vets confused as Thymoma should not grow back as quick and they thought it might be a lymphoma hiding in mass.

So two weeks ago he went in for a more extensive biopsy with ultrasound but results still showed Thymoma.

The options were,

Further radiation therapy but having to wait another 4-6 months before that was possible, was ruled out.

Chemotherapy but as biopsy results were inconclusive that was ruled out.

Which left the two final options,

Medication and hope Jasper could see out his final months till a point where quality of life would be the final decision.

Chest surgery with high risk and remove mass but if successful then Jaspers life could be extend by years.

Its was an awful decision to make.

As Jasper is still his bossy and full of life rabbit, i wanted to give him every chance i could of a longer life.

So today he went in for surgery, i am glad to report the surgery went well and the vets said it went as well as it could be expected.

He is in Intensive care unit and if he makes it through the next 12- 24 hr period hopefully he will be through it all.

So fingers crossed for my brave boy in the coming days.

Jasper is certainly one strong rabbit!

Lots of vibes for the brave boy in the coming days and hopefully lots more ...:)

Vets called this morning with an update and Jasper is doing very well.

He is exceeding there expectations and eating everything in sight !

They are hoping to move him out of the Icu later today and reunited with Mysty.

Thanks for all the vibes and will pass then on.

Vets called this morning with an update and Jasper is doing very well.

He is exceeding there expectations and eating everything in sight !

They are hoping to move him out of the Icu later today and reunited with Mysty.

Thanks for all the vibes and will pass then on.

Reunite with Mysty, hurray!

Well done Jasper :D What a strong rabbit as well as brave :love:

Jasper seems to be a hit with the nurses and vets looking after him as they are dubbing him the super bunny as he bouncing back incredibly well from surgery.

Hoping Jasper comes off the methadone pain killers and on to lesser pain killer later today.

Vets was explaining as they split Jasper chest bone he is learning to sit in different position to avoid pressing on the bone.

I am getting to visit him on Sunday morning.

Jasper seems to be doing incredibly well :D I really hope that the brave lad continues to improve. I bet you're so looking forward to seeing him tomorrow morning.

Jasper seems to be a hit with the nurses and vets looking after him as they are dubbing him the super bunny as he bouncing back incredibly well from surgery.

Hoping Jasper comes off the methadone pain killers and on to lesser pain killer later today.

Vets was explaining as they split Jasper chest bone he is learning to sit in different position to avoid pressing on the bone.

I am getting to visit him on Sunday morning.

Good grief he's been through a lot! They can teach us a lot about forbearance, our buns :)

Love and vibes to Jasper, the bravest of the brave :love:

I have just seen this. How very brave both you and Jasper are!

Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery.

I was lucky enough to visit Jasper and Mysty this morning.

Jasper is doing well but has a little fluid build up which I was told was normal, his scar looks like it's healing very well and little to no bruising. The vets are very happy with his progress.

I got a few seconds tooth purring then after that Jaspers usual look of displeasure, when giving him some nose rubs.

Jasper is missing a lot of fur about 1/3 of all his fur, amazing how pink bunnies skin is.

It's looking like Jasper will be ready to come home on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Mysty was happy to nibble the treats I brought but just sat there with the I am not happy look.

I think they will both be happy to get home.

I was lucky enough to visit Jasper and Mysty this morning.

Jasper is doing well but has a little fluid build up which I was told was normal, his scar looks like it's healing very well and little to no bruising. The vets are very happy with his progress.

I got a few seconds tooth purring then after that Jaspers usual look of displeasure, when giving him some nose rubs.

Jasper is missing a lot of fur about 1/3 of all his fur, amazing how pink bunnies skin is.

It's looking like Jasper will be ready to come home on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Mysty was happy to nibble the treats I brought but just sat there with the I am not happy look.

I think they will both be happy to get home.

Looking forward to you all being reunited this week as a family :wave:

Back