• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of RVHD2 vaccinations?

£35 each including health check and nail clip.
£21 if no health check needed

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

£34 with a Vet, including full check up.

It was cheaper with a nurse as part of the clinic at Ashleigh vets, but we traveled there and were not registered so had to see the vet. Perfectly happy to pay that price so and the check up was thorough.

£25 for each rabbit plus the usual full health check they get when they have the combi vaccine.

£21 per rabbit including in some cases weighing, full health check including ear, teeth check etc... even claw cutting for some.

I have been quoted :

The dosing schedule with the vaccine is 2 doses 6 weeks apart initially and then a single booster every 6 months. It is recommended to continue with routine myxo and VHD(classic) vaccine as normal and do the VHD2 vaccine at least 2 weeks separate to this. Rabbits can be vaccinated from 4 weeks old.

The cost for VHD2 vaccination is likely to be around £25-30 for each rabbit. Vaccination for myxo/vhd(classic) is £34.56 for each rabbit.

Has anyone else been told that the new vaccine is 2 doses 6 weeks apart??

I have been quoted :

The dosing schedule with the vaccine is 2 doses 6 weeks apart initially and then a single booster every 6 months. It is recommended to continue with routine myxo and VHD(classic) vaccine as normal and do the VHD2 vaccine at least 2 weeks separate to this. Rabbits can be vaccinated from 4 weeks old.

The cost for VHD2 vaccination is likely to be around £25-30 for each rabbit. Vaccination for myxo/vhd(classic) is £34.56 for each rabbit.

Which vaccine? It's certainly not the case with either Cunivak or Filavac but it might be the one from Spain they are getting (sorry can't remember the name of that one!)

I saw something on a Facebook group the other week. They were saying 2 doses 2 weeks apart.

Anyone know what the progress is for vaccines already ordered? My vet ordered it ages ago and had an update last month to say it would be delivered at the end of this month. Still nothing though and no update.

If you click on the link then go to the file for RHDV2 vaccination options (second one down), it gives the breakdown of the vaccines available.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/files/

If your vet is saying 2 doses 6 weeks apart then it's probably Cunipravac they are getting. Apparently it's oil based so has extra issues to do with reactions.

If you click on the link then go to the file for RHDV2 vaccination options (second one down), it gives the breakdown of the vaccines available.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/files/

If your vet is saying 2 doses 6 weeks apart then it's probably Cunipravac they are getting. Apparently it's oil based so has extra issues to do with reactions.

That's a great link, thanks very much. The vet didn't say which vaccine but yes from that link it sounds like its the Cunipravac they're talking about. I'll email around the vets some more.

Thanks again x

I'd be surprised if they've gone for the cunipravac as it's more complex to import and has to be arranged directly with the manufacturer, there's no wholesale import arrangement. Also I think it's only available in multi-dose vials. I think it's more likely that they have been reading some of the generic info out there and thinking that's what it needs. When their stock arrives and they read the sheet that accompanies the stock, they'll hopefully realise what is needed. I'd ask them which one it is they've ordered and get them to check the sheet and confirm protocol once it arrives :)

I've just double checked with them and they've said its Filavac VHD K C+V She said it's imported from France and won't be available for them until after the 29th July. Sounds like you're probably right Santa, that they've just read the generic info.

It's not my usual vets that have it in (mine have basically told me they don't have it in and not to hold my breath at this stage) so I don't know how bunny savvy the vets with the vaccine is, will do some digging!

thanks guys x

I've just double checked with them and they've said its Filavac VHD K C+V She said it's imported from France and won't be available for them until after the 29th July. Sounds like you're probably right Santa, that they've just read the generic info.

It's not my usual vets that have it in (mine have basically told me they don't have it in and not to hold my breath at this stage) so I don't know how bunny savvy the vets with the vaccine is, will do some digging!

thanks guys x

I posted this *huge* update here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-good-news!/page28

in case you've not seen it .... xx

I dread to think how much my vets will charge - they are £48-ish for myxo-rhd which seems quite expensive compared to others I've seen - but they said today they won't be getting it any time soon as there have been no reported cases yet in Scotland (I'm fairly sure I saw there had been at least 1 although not in this area).

Back