• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you be able to take a rabbit in to a motorway services?

Julia25

Alpha Buck
I'm taking the bunnies with me for a 3-5 hour car journey, we always stop at a services for some food and stretch our legs.
The rabbits will be in a carrier but would i be able to take them into the services with me? i would have thought not but what have you guys done in the past.
I don't want to leave them in the hot car obviously

Any other alternatives maybe?

Yes, I don't see why not. I would just do it anyways and see if anyone said anything to me!

I'd do it. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to if they're in their case.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah Should be absolutely fine!

I drove up to Wales this morning, and my little man came in the toilet with me.. So if you saw an idiot with a bunny in a carrier at Warwick services it was me! :lol: :lol:

Best thing was in the cubicle next to me, was a mum who had a kitten In a carrier too, she smiled at me and said going on holiday too? It's just to hot out their isn't it.. So Glad I'm not the only one xxx

I'd take them in too.

But then I've also taken a cat and a tortoise (on separate occasions and in carriers!) into supermarkets before!

They may object to them be in an area that serves food. So it depends how big the services area is.

I'd just take them in. They're confined to a carrier - what harm could they do? And unless the manager of the services can show you the sign that clearly says "no rabbits" then tell him to booger-orf :lol::lol:.

I have a similar question. We may be moving house to somewhere about 4 hours away - do rabbits eat on long journeys? Mine won't eat or drink in the carrier, too nervous, but I don't know if that's just because we've only gone short distances. Concerned about gut stasis.

I didn't think you could. I wouldn't want to put them through the stress of all the moving about, noise etc anyway.

When we've been travelling with pets, one of us has stayed in the car with the doors open (if it's hot) while the other goes to the loo and gets some food/takeaway drinks.

I suppose it depends on their temperament. I would take Benny or Beatrix but Ruby would be too stressed. Even when we go to the vets round the corner she burrows underneath Benny and shakes. I hate journeys with the buns!

Good luck - hope it goes ok!

Yeah agree with you Jay, Bailey is such a chilled out bun and even slept on the journey dreaming away! He did 3 hours absolutely fine, he always has water and a mixture of herbs, hay and treats but similar doesn't really eat. Although he will have the occasional nibble at hay and as soon as we arrived in his new temporary room, he scoffed the rest and was absolutely fine! :)

I have a similar question. We may be moving house to somewhere about 4 hours away - do rabbits eat on long journeys? Mine won't eat or drink in the carrier, too nervous, but I don't know if that's just because we've only gone short distances. Concerned about gut stasis.

Always provide them with hay and water and let them stretch their legs whenever you can, rabbit will hardly eat some people try their favourite fruit/veg watered down and they may nibble on that when on break.s

Always provide them with hay and water and let them stretch their legs whenever you can, rabbit will hardly eat some people try their favourite fruit/veg watered down and they may nibble on that when on break.s

Thanks, Julia25. Not sure about the stretching legs bit, do you let them out of the carrier inside the car during breaks?

I've never been into a motorway services with a bun but I once had to take a longer than usual car journey with my old rex girl Hazel. She had water and hay and greens in her carrier. We had to make a whistle stop to Tescos on the way back. I stayed in the car with her, but let her out of the carrier. She hopped about the car and even sat on my shoulder like a parrot, she was quite interested in what was outside and was getting a better look. We got some funny looks from shoppers that day.:lol: All went well until she decided to have a wee on the back seat!

I've never been into a motorway services with a bun but I once had to take a longer than usual car journey with my old rex girl Hazel. She had water and hay and greens in her carrier. We had to make a whistle stop to Tescos on the way back. I stayed in the car with her, but let her out of the carrier. She hopped about the car and even sat on my shoulder like a parrot, she was quite interested in what was outside and was getting a better look. We got some funny looks from shoppers that day.:lol: All went well until she decided to have a wee on the back seat!

That sounds like a really good way to get a break. *note to self: take litter tray* !

Back