• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry tree?

beckie20

Mama Doe
Can rabbits eat branches and leaves from a cherry tree?

Ive recently moved to a house with an overgrown cherry tree - the top branches reach the second floor window which isn't much good in terms of being able to pick the cherries!

Some of the leaves look a bit moth eaten too - if they can eat the leaves is that a problem?

Thanks!

Can rabbits eat branches and leaves from a cherry tree?

Ive recently moved to a house with an overgrown cherry tree - the top branches reach the second floor window which isn't much good in terms of being able to pick the cherries!

Some of the leaves look a bit moth eaten too - if they can eat the leaves is that a problem?

Thanks!

They are not supposed to eat from a tree bearing stoned fruit. I wouldn't purposely feed it.

That said, my rabbits have eaten cherry tree leaves and blossom when I haven't been able to get it all off the lawn :D

No, I'm afraid that the branches and leaves from trees, which bear stone-fruit should not be fed to rabbits.

Does anyone know the science / reasoning about trees bearing fruit stones being no good for rabbits? I'm just curious

Does anyone know the science / reasoning about trees bearing fruit stones being no good for rabbits? I'm just curious

Taken from the wiki page:

"Biochemistry

Like apricots and apples, the seeds of black cherries contain compounds that can be converted into cyanide, such as amygdalin.[16][17] These compounds release hydrogen cyanide when the seed is ground or minced, which releases enzymes that break down the compounds. These enzymes include amygdalin beta-glucosidase, prunasin beta-glucosidase and mandelonitrile lyase.[18] In contrast, although the flesh of cherries also contain these compounds, they do not contain the enzymes needed to produce cyanide, so the flesh is safe to eat.[19]

The foliage, particularly when wilted, contains cyanogenic glycosides, which convert to hydrogen cyanide if eaten by animals.[20] Farmers are recommended to remove any trees that fall in a field containing livestock, because the wilted leaves could poison the animals. Removal is not always practical, though, because they often grow in very large numbers on farms, taking advantage of the light brought about by mowing and grazing. Entire fencerows can be lined with this poisonous tree, making it difficult to monitor all the branches falling into the grazing area. Black cherry is a leading cause of livestock illness, and grazing animals' access to it should be limited."

I can also say that the leaves from the cherry when shredded and added to the compost heap have the distinctive smell of almonds.

Taken from the wiki page:

"Biochemistry

Like apricots and apples, the seeds of black cherries contain compounds that can be converted into cyanide, such as amygdalin.[16][17] These compounds release hydrogen cyanide when the seed is ground or minced, which releases enzymes that break down the compounds. These enzymes include amygdalin beta-glucosidase, prunasin beta-glucosidase and mandelonitrile lyase.[18] In contrast, although the flesh of cherries also contain these compounds, they do not contain the enzymes needed to produce cyanide, so the flesh is safe to eat.[19]

The foliage, particularly when wilted, contains cyanogenic glycosides, which convert to hydrogen cyanide if eaten by animals.[20] Farmers are recommended to remove any trees that fall in a field containing livestock, because the wilted leaves could poison the animals. Removal is not always practical, though, because they often grow in very large numbers on farms, taking advantage of the light brought about by mowing and grazing. Entire fencerows can be lined with this poisonous tree, making it difficult to monitor all the branches falling into the grazing area. Black cherry is a leading cause of livestock illness, and grazing animals' access to it should be limited."

I can also say that the leaves from the cherry when shredded and added to the compost heap have the distinctive smell of almonds.

Thank You

Back