• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How soon to vaccinate after infection.

Hello
I had 3 rabbits all living outside in a lovely walk in enclosure. Sadly to cut a long story short, had to have 2 PTS due to myxi. Had rabbits many years and never had a problem but this year sadly lost two. They were separated immediately once symptoms started however there was some time where thry would have been all in very close contact; my last remaining rabbit appears to have not caught it, which i am amazed at. Im not sure how long to wait until it is safe to say she hasnt caught it and to get her vaccinated. Surprisingly a few days after her buddy was pts, her eyelids got swollen and i thought here we go again but she was so well in herself i decided not to run her to the vets straight away. The swelling subsequently went down after 2 days and she is absolutely fine now 2 weeks later. Do you think its safe to say vaccinate her now??

Hello
I had 3 rabbits all living outside in a lovely walk in enclosure. Sadly to cut a long story short, had to have 2 PTS due to myxi. Had rabbits many years and never had a problem but this year sadly lost two. They were separated immediately once symptoms started however there was some time where thry would have been all in very close contact; my last remaining rabbit appears to have not caught it, which i am amazed at. Im not sure how long to wait until it is safe to say she hasnt caught it and to get her vaccinated. Surprisingly a few days after her buddy was pts, her eyelids got swollen and i thought here we go again but she was so well in herself i decided not to run her to the vets straight away. The swelling subsequently went down after 2 days and she is absolutely fine now 2 weeks later. Do you think its safe to say vaccinate her now??

Welcome to RU Violet :wave:

If she's absolutely fine in herself, then I would say you could vaccinate now. However, the vet will check her over before he vaccinates, so best ask to get her temperature taken (most vets don't do this) to ensure there isn't any residual infection.

The vet should then be able to make a decision as to whether it's a good idea to vaccinate now or leave it for a while.

You do know that there's also RHD2 around? (also known as VHD2, just to be confusing :D)

Here's a thread about it:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-good-news!

Thankyou for the reply. Ill book her in this week. Yes i had heard there was another vaccine for the 2nd strain of Myxi, is that what you mean? Ill just get her vaccinated against everything and hope for the best !

Thankyou for the reply. Ill book her in this week. Yes i had heard there was another vaccine for the 2nd strain of Myxi, is that what you mean? Ill just get her vaccinated against everything and hope for the best !

You're very welcome :thumb:

It's a second strain of VHD. It's a separate vaccine to the myxi/vhd combo used at the moment. You'll need to speak with your vet about it, and it is usually recommended to leave three weeks between both vaccines.

Good luck x

Hello

I am sorry to hear of your losses. Some Rabbits can acquire an immunity/partial immunity to Myxomatosis, so that may be why one of your Rabbits appears to have fought it off. And of course Vaccinated Rabbits can still catch Myxi, but often the 'milder' nodular form and vaccinated Rabbits have a very high chance of survival.

Your Vet should examine your Rabbit before administering the Vaccine. The incubation period for Myxomatosis can vary considerably from about 5-14 days.

There is not a second vaccination for Myxomatosis, the second Vaccination now recommended is against a variant strain of RHD (AKA VHD) -RHD2. The Myxo-RHD Vaccine does not provide protection against RHD. Hence the RHD2 Vaccine is now recommended too.

If your Vet is not aware of the issue of RHD2 I would advise you to inform him/her of this information:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

Back