• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going to have to bond them ourselves - please advise

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
So currently our two, spayed, girls who were previously bonded, live in two separate rooms, but have free range of those rooms. One in the kitchen, one in the sitting room.

Today is the day - Binky has chewed the corners on my new sofa and I just have got to get them bonded. I'm tired of having hay everywhere, and just want them back together. She is lonely (not sure about how lonely her sister is though).

How do we do this? I have some 'indoor' rabbit cages in the shed (you know those tiny ones you'd never keep a rabbit in). Should I use on of those? Where should I do this? I guess both rooms smell of a rabbit each now so I'll have to completely vingerarise them. But would doing the bonding in those rooms affect it?

Please send tips - we tried a year or so ago and I just didn't have the stamina - they just tried to fight - but I suppose that is to be expected?

Some people do use a small cage to bond their rabbits in so you could try this method but it will have to be in a different room as being girls they will be very territorial of their own room. There may have to be some sort of scuffle at first to determine who is the boss. I prefer to bond rabbits in a large area but this is usually boy/girl bonds. Good luck - let us know how it's going.

Thanks @tonibun - I'm so stressed about this. What if they don't bond? Do you think a small room would be preferable over a small cage then?

If you have a small room you can use might help to bond them. If it's neutral to both of them they won't get territorial over it. Try to make it interesting for them, with a few treats handy! You will have to give it a go to find out :thumb:

I bonded my rabbits in the bathtub, they fought at first and i separated them at every moment but then my step-dad suggested letting them scuffle to sought their differences out so thats what i did. I let them 'fight' with fur pulling and chasing, only separated if i thought real harm was coming to them using a dustpan. after a while i put veggies down with them and let them eat together and stroking one then the other so each others scents were on each other. I also swapped their living accommodations every day so that they were used to each others smell. I knew they were bonded was on accident, one had managed to get into the others accommodation :oops: and they were fine after that.

The fighting scared the living daylights out of me but you've just got to let them scuffle.

It usually takes only a couple of seconds then they stop. If it goes on for longer you will have to intervene.

So they are ignoring each other. Barely been near each other though which I'm not sure is a good thing. Bailey is lying down. Seems completely at ease. Binky is a little more stressed although they have both been grooming themselves etc. No fights yet but I think I've tried to head them off too soon instead of just letting it happen.

No idea if all of this is good or not.

This sounds positive, because they are on neutral territory there isn't anything to make an issue out of, although they probably need to sort out hierarchies. Maybe they already know who's boss, but just keep going as you are and everyday is a day closer to having 2 bonded bunnies. Did you keep them together overnight?

No we bailed about half past 12. It was going really well but perhaps starting at 8.30pm wasn't a great idea as well we were both falling asleep! So started over about 90 minutes ago. Binky is lying down now too. If show a photo but can't remember how. I know we need to let them 'interact' so they can sort out the hierarchy but I'm so nervous of this bond failing that I'm scared to let them do that!

You must try to act relaxed about the whole thing or bunnies will pick up on your anxiety. Good luck!

Back