• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what does it mean?

lioness178

Young Bun
Hiya :wave:

So I placed bunnies (both neuted a while ago) in neutral territory/smaller space since saturday morning for bonding session and all has gone rather well, ie mutual grooming (a lot from the female) lying next to each other etc. Obviosuly we had the chasing, mounting and nipping before this however. Anyhoo today I decided that since it was 6 days and all seemed fine I'd move them into their permanent home (was the males but have washed everything down with white vinegar) and I can't quite make sense of it. So, male shoves his head under females, female grooms male, they lie next to each other most the time and everything is lovely, however noticed now and again my female will give my male a little nip, in the process gets a mouthful of fur but has not drawn blood or chasing him etc. My male seems to overact at this and jumps very high (sometimes honks at her in his disgust I think when this happens) then runs as far away as possible from her, then hops up to her again later on for some more love!!! Does this sound normal? So one minute they seem to love each other and the next he gets a nip and seems scared of her because of this (he's a bit soft I think lol). I haven't let them out of their enclosure yet as realise it may be too soon/too much space so will let them hang out in their enclosure for a few more days. Do you think he might just get on her nerves sometimes and so she tells him to go away? I'm not quite sure what to make of it!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you xx

Last edited:
they sound like establishing who is the most dominate, and the female sounds like she is, I'm sure it will all soon calm down, as long as not seriously biting and hurting the male, then let them continue as you say most other times they lie by each other, groom each other

I agree with mini lop, it can take a little while for things to settle down completely. Sounds like you've done a really good job bonding them though - best of luck to you and your buns!

Each time bunnies are moved they sometimes have to reaffirm the hierarchy - might be this! Hope so!

Shall I just leave them to it then tonibun? Could it be something else do you think or more likely establishing hierarchy like you say ? Do you think keeping them in their new housing for a while should settle them? If so how long would you recommend before letting them run about the house ? X

Back