• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead refusing all water!

Zarla

Alpha Buck
My lovely little five year old lionhead, Stakki, is refusing to drink any water at all and has done for the past six months or so. We do give him plenty of greens, but I'm worried that he will be setting himself up for kidney troubles later down the line if he carries on.

He still wees plentifully and seems very healthy and lively.

I've been especially worried these past few days with the extreme temperatures we've been having, so much so that last night I used a tiny plastic syringe and got him to swallow about 2 centimetres of water. He is very friendly and affectionate, a bunny who loves being stroked and petted, so he didn't mind being hand watered!

I don't know whether this is the right thing to do, though.

I've kept lionhead rabbits for fifteen years and they've always drunk some water - Stakki is the first not to. Our bonded pair used to go through a medium size bottle in a week.

Any advice very welcome! Should I continue with the syringe feeding?

when you say a medium sized bottle a week, you do change the water daily dont you? just asking because the water wont be fresh and that may contribute to stakki not wanting much water. Have you tried a bowl of water and see if he will drink out of that? im sure someone will be along soon whos had experience of this xx

Thanks - the bottle is changed regularly but he won't have it! I've tried bowls already.

My rabbit has never really drank anything either, despite having both a bowl and a bottle for the past 9 years! He gets all his water from his veggies, like it sounds Stakki does too.

As long as he isn't showing any signs of dehydration then I wouldn't worry too much, but if you're concerned when it gets hot,etc and he doesn't mind being syringed water you could always give him a little bit as a precaution.

Hope this helped!

Back