• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boyles Indoor Pen 1.5x1x1

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Hey
We are looking for a pen for our Rabbit, Bill. He currently has a cage/pen set up that fits into an alcove but to be perfectly honest it is really ugly and I want to get something a little more permanent. We live in a terraced house so the rooms aren't massive. I think ours is 12’6’’ x 10’ feet but we have a fairly big carpet. Bill is pretty much free range and spends a lot of his time out of the pen. 3 days a week he is out all day and the rest of the time depends on when we are working but I'd say that he would only be in his pen at any given time for 6 hours tops.
Does anyone have this pen? Would it be big enough for what we need? I'm trying to find the right balance between having a house we can live in comfortably and having a happy bunny :) There is also the possibility of us finding him a friend in the near future so that is also a factor.
x

6 hours is a long time to be confined and I feel this space is far too small.

If he is freeranging a lot, could you not totally rabbit proof so there would be no need for a cage?

I have thought about it before because our other rabbits live totally free range upstairs but he is quite cheeky and he likes jumping up on the tv stand which would potentially knock off the tv. There are cable wires all around the skirting which would be hard to cover too.
I thought it might be a little small myself so we will have to try and come up with something else.

I think they do other sizes, don't they? I can see your downstairs being re-designed around his new housing!

It wont fit anywhere else :( and the biggest we could go is 1.7x1x1
I think we'll just have to figure out a way of getting him free range.

How big's the alcove? Have you thought about getting quotes from local carpenters? The maybe able to put something together bespoke that fits perfectly. Depending the alcove, you probably only need a 'front' rather than four sides.

The alcove is just over a meter wide but it can't be any longer than 1.7 meters because we wouldnt be able to get into our kitchen. We wanted the 4 sides because we have virgin tv cables that run all along the skirting boards!
I think we are going to get some cable protectors and go from there and maybe invest in a higher tv stand that he can't jump on rather than a new pen :)

That's not bad for a temporary space - same as a 6'x3' hutch, you could a shelf inside it of his own for jumping on for extra space too :)

Also, one of the main reasons that we didn't want to take away the pen element of his setup and have him completely free range is because he actually seems to quite enjoy having a space of his own. He flops against the bars and he spends a lot of time in there even though the door is open the majority of the time.
A pen with a second level would actually be a brilliant idea
Might need a bit of time to save though!

I completely know what you mean abut a bunny liking his own space. Snowy, my house rabbit, has a cage in the lounge and quite often prefers to lay out inside his open cage than sit out in the open. He particularly likes to retreat to his cage himself (even though open all the time) when there are visitors or the house is particularly busy. Although Snowy has free range, I would always have a cage/pen for him as his own space to retreat to when he sees fit. :thumb:

Boyle's housing can make any size or shape. Just tell them what you want and they will be really helpful. Can you make it taller si they can add levels for extra floor space?

We have ordered him a two storey hide and when that arrives we are going to attempt free range :shock:
There are options for a pen but none that would actually fit the size of the room or be practical for us to live in too. We cant make it longer because it would block off the kitchen and if we made it higher it would block off the only window in the room.
He is a really naughty, cheeky boy but hopefully we are getting him a friend soon so fingers crossed it stops him from acting out.
Fingers crossed that he doesn't destroy the house! I am quite excited though, the other two are free range so it only seems fair that he should be too!

I hid all my cables using D-Line products (Screwfix stock it), it sticks really well to the walls (the plaster will come off before it does. It doesn't eliminate the risk but reduces it significantly, it's paintable as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back