Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyles Indoor Pen 1.5x1x1

Default Boyles Indoor Pen 1.5x1x1

Hey
    We are looking for a pen for our Rabbit, Bill. He currently has a cage/pen set up that fits into an alcove but to be perfectly honest it is really ugly and I want to get something a little more permanent. We live in a terraced house so the rooms aren't massive. I think ours is 126 x 10 feet but we have a fairly big carpet. Bill is pretty much free range and spends a lot of his time out of the pen. 3 days a week he is out all day and the rest of the time depends on when we are working but I'd say that he would only be in his pen at any given time for 6 hours tops.
    Does anyone have this pen? Would it be big enough for what we need? I'm trying to find the right balance between having a house we can live in comfortably and having a happy bunny There is also the possibility of us finding him a friend in the near future so that is also a factor.
    Thanks
    x

6 hours is a long time to be confined and I feel this space is far too small.

If he is freeranging a lot, could you not totally rabbit proof so there would be no need for a cage?

I have thought about it before because our other rabbits live totally free range upstairs but he is quite cheeky and he likes jumping up on the tv stand which would potentially knock off the tv. There are cable wires all around the skirting which would be hard to cover too.
    I thought it might be a little small myself so we will have to try and come up with something else.

Wise Old Thumper

I think they do other sizes, don't they? I can see your downstairs being re-designed around his new housing!

It wont fit anywhere else and the biggest we could go is 1.7x1x1
    I think we'll just have to figure out a way of getting him free range.

How big's the alcove? Have you thought about getting quotes from local carpenters? The maybe able to put something together bespoke that fits perfectly. Depending the alcove, you probably only need a 'front' rather than four sides.

The alcove is just over a meter wide but it can't be any longer than 1.7 meters because we wouldnt be able to get into our kitchen. We wanted the 4 sides because we have virgin tv cables that run all along the skirting boards!
    I think we are going to get some cable protectors and go from there and maybe invest in a higher tv stand that he can't jump on rather than a new pen

That's not bad for a temporary space - same as a 6'x3' hutch, you could a shelf inside it of his own for jumping on for extra space too

Also, one of the main reasons that we didn't want to take away the pen element of his setup and have him completely free range is because he actually seems to quite enjoy having a space of his own. He flops against the bars and he spends a lot of time in there even though the door is open the majority of the time.
    A pen with a second level would actually be a brilliant idea
    Might need a bit of time to save though!

Mama Doe

I completely know what you mean abut a bunny liking his own space. Snowy, my house rabbit, has a cage in the lounge and quite often prefers to lay out inside his open cage than sit out in the open. He particularly likes to retreat to his cage himself (even though open all the time) when there are visitors or the house is particularly busy. Although Snowy has free range, I would always have a cage/pen for him as his own space to retreat to when he sees fit.
    Untitled by Mrs M, on Flickr

Bonded group of 6 bunnies!
    Bear, Greyie, Buttons, Adam, Princess and Leia
    Phil & Dev the rescue Guinea Pigs
    Gary the shih tzu pup!
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9m...TxfAXRIiU7P-Uw
    My Bunnies Blog: https://thehoppyhouse.wordpress.com
    Instagram: the_hoppy_house