• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could I have some advice please? Possible bladder issues.

paula:)

New Kit
Dear all,
I am hoping to get some advice on my rabbits health, just I case I'm missing something.
I've been a member of this forum for a while, but have never posted until now.

The situation is as follows.
Nacho is almost 8 years old. He is a small long haired lop.
He's generally been in good health his whole life, except from a few cases of mild bloat. He is neutered and vaccines are also up to date.

In March this year, upon pre-vaccine check he presented with sludge in his urine, he was treated for this accordingly and whilst he was under anaesthetic the vet also checked his teeth and burred one of his molars- this wasn't a major issue, the vet just felt that it would be beneficial to treat this whilst he was "out".
He has been fine since then, until this weekend.
He stopped eating on Sunday and was covered in his own urine and faeces. When I picked him up he peed everywhere, an excessive amount, it was skooshing out of him. So I cleaned him up, clipped some of the hair away. I took him to the emergency vets at the small animal clinic on Monday morning (it was a bank holiday in Glasgow). He was examined and the following treatment was given; pain meds, fluids, recovery food, gut stimulant, sedation given and an X-ray was performed, teeth were checked as well. The x Ray was negative for presence of stones or calcium. He was kept over night for observation and returned to my own vet yesterday am. He had still barely eaten at this point. He had peed and pooped, but poops are still miss shapen.
My own vet continued with the above treatment and also took a urine sample- no presence of infection, which was a surprise as he is continuing to pee a lot!
I have had him home overnight, I've kept him indoors. He has continued to pee a lot and there are some very small broken and miss shapen poos. He has managed to eat a small amount of pellets, and some greens. I have given gut stimulants as well.
I am back to my own vet this morning.
The next plan is to take bloods, I just wondered if anyone has any experience of any of the above?
Is there anything I am missing and should I request for any other tests to be carried out?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, P

Dear all,
I am hoping to get some advice on my rabbits health, just I case I'm missing something.

He's generally been in good health his whole life, except from a few cases of mild bloat. He is neutered and vaccines are also up to date.

In March this year, upon pre-vaccine check he presented with sludge in his urine, he was treated for this accordingly and whilst he was under anaesthetic the vet also checked his teeth and burred one of his molars- this wasn't a major issue, the vet just felt that it would be beneficial to treat this whilst he was "out".
He stopped eating on Sunday and was covered in his own urine and faeces. When I picked him up he peed everywhere, an excessive amount, it was skooshing out of him. So I cleaned him up, clipped some of the hair away. I took him to the emergency vets at the small animal clinic on Monday morning (it was a bank holiday in Glasgow). He was examined and the following treatment was given; pain meds, fluids, recovery food, gut stimulant, sedation given and an X-ray was performed, teeth were checked as well. The x Ray was negative for presence of stones or calcium. He was kept over night for observation and returned to my own vet yesterday am. He had still barely eaten at this point. He had peed and pooped, but poops are still miss shapen.
My own vet continued with the above treatment and also took a urine sample- no presence of infection, which was a surprise as he is continuing to pee a lot!
I have had him home overnight, I've kept him indoors. He has continued to pee a lot and there are some very small broken and miss shapen poos. He has managed to eat a small amount of pellets, and some greens. I have given gut stimulants as well.
The next plan is to take bloods, I just wondered if anyone has any experience of any of the above?
Is there anything I am missing and should I request for any other tests to be carried out?
Thanks, P

Hello, I am sorry to hear that Nancho is unwell. I was going to suggest bloods as the next step, so hopefully this will be done today.
Has Nancho had any unexplained weightloss prior to this episode of illness ?

Has the Vet mentioned his temperature-ie is he febrile ?

Hello, I am sorry to hear that Nancho is unwell. I was going to suggest bloods as the next step, so hopefully this will be done today.
Has Nancho had any unexplained weightloss prior to this episode of illness ?

Has the Vet mentioned his temperature-ie is he febrile ?

Thank you for responding. Temp was normal when checked.
Also, no unexplained weight loss that I am aware of. I am back at the vets at 11 today, so I will ask for him to be weighed, they will have a record of his last weight from the start of May when he was given a health check and his booster, so I can compair that with his weight now.
I guess I will just need to wait for the results of the bloods?

Thank you for responding. Temp was normal when checked.
Also, no unexplained weight loss that I am aware of. I am back at the vets at 11 today, so I will ask for him to be weighed, they will have a record of his last weight from the start of May when he was given a health check and his booster, so I can compair that with his weight now.
I guess I will just need to wait for the results of the bloods?

They may shed a bit of light as to what is going on. I expect the Vet will be looking at Nancho's Kidney and Liver function in particular.

I am assuming that as an abdominal Xray was carried out that the Vet has not only ruled out bladder sludge/stones but also the possibility of an impaction within the GI tract, especially within the caecum- ie 'Caecal Impaction' ?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Dear all,

Thanks, P

Hi Paula and welcome to RU :wave:

I'm sorry to read about Nacho and it sounds as though the vet is as mystified as we are!

Reading through all your posts, I would think (as your vet does) that the next step is a full blood profile to check the kidney and liver values, and particularly the kidneys.

To be honest, I think a urine sample is best sent off to the lab (I know whether your own vet tested it, or sent it away?) as I've found the results to be more thorough in terms of any bacteria at all when it's sent off.

Best of luck with Nacho, and please keep me updated :D

On looking at the scan there was no evidence of anything unusual and on examination of his tummy there's nothing to suggest any kind of blockage as the abdomen was soft. Thanks for the link- I have had a quick look and I can see how the symptoms may suggest this. It made interesting reading and I'll read through more thoroughly shortly.

I think the urine test done was likely a standard dipstick test. Although I don't think I mentioned in my initial post that antibiotics were given as a precautionary measure for a UTI on Monday at the emergency clinic. Having said that, I will certainly ask for a sample to be sent away to give us a more in depth result, assuming the bloods don't give us any more information.

I have dropped Nacho at the vets, he is still pretty miserable. They are going to run bloods and put him back on fluids, although he has eaten overnight, I'm not confident he has drank an awful lot and given it was so warm last night this is a worry. The vet said her main concerns were kidneys and liver, especially with the quite excessive urinationg. She also said she though his tummy felt a bit gassy.
I've to ring at 3 o'clock for the results, if they don't call me first!
Thank you for the responses, I appreciate them.

On looking at the scan there was no evidence of anything unusual and on examination of his tummy there's nothing to suggest any kind of blockage as the abdomen was soft. Thanks for the link- I have had a quick look and I can see how the symptoms may suggest this. It made interesting reading and I'll read through more thoroughly shortly.

I think the urine test done was likely a standard dipstick test. Although I don't think I mentioned in my initial post that antibiotics were given as a precautionary measure for a UTI on Monday at the emergency clinic. Having said that, I will certainly ask for a sample to be sent away to give us a more in depth result, assuming the bloods don't give us any more information.

I have dropped Nacho at the vets, he is still pretty miserable. They are going to run bloods and put him back on fluids, although he has eaten overnight, I'm not confident he has drank an awful lot and given it was so warm last night this is a worry. The vet said her main concerns were kidneys and liver, especially with the quite excessive urinationg. She also said she though his tummy felt a bit gassy.

I really hope that you will receive some optimistic news about Nancho later this afternoon x

You're very welcome :thumb:

I thought he must have been given antibiotics in case of a urinary infection.

I'm thinking of you and hope the tests show some light for you, and a way forward xx

You're very welcome :thumb:

I thought he must have been given antibiotics in case of a urinary infection.

I'm thinking of you and hope the tests show some light for you, and a way forward xx

I hope so. The vet wasn't my usual one, but she seemed knowledgeable and I like the way she handled him. I think you can get a good/bad feeling About a vet within minutes of meeting them!
Fingers crossed x

I have just spoken to the vet and all the bloods are clear, no sign of disease in the kidneys or liver. Which i suppose is great news, but it doesn't explain the sudden incontinence and going off food etc. He has examined the abdomen again and all feels fine.
Quite baffled, the vet was really good on the phone and I am heading to pick up nacho shortly.
He has suggested that as long as he is eating and pooping that I treat him at home for the next few days. I'll keep him indoors again tonight so I can keep a close eye on exactly what's going in and coming out.
He is going to prescribe an anti inflammatory, gut stimulant and baytril.
Do you think it's possible that the incontinece is due to his age? Although it's strange it came on so quickly teamed with refusal to eat. I just hope he isn't in any pain

I have just spoken to the vet and all the bloods are clear, no sign of disease in the kidneys or liver. Which i suppose is great news, but it doesn't explain the sudden incontinence and going off food etc. He has examined the abdomen again and all feels fine.
Quite baffled, the vet was really good on the phone and I am heading to pick up nacho shortly.
He has suggested that as long as he is eating and pooping that I treat him at home for the next few days. I'll keep him indoors again tonight so I can keep a close eye on exactly what's going in and coming out.
Do you think it's possible that the incontinece is due to his age? Although it's strange it came on so quickly teamed with refusal to eat. I just hope he isn't in any pain

If he's taking Metacam, as you mention an anti inflammatory, then one would hope he's not in any pain. The baytril should cover any possible infection - how long is the course?

I personally doubt that the incontinence is due to his age. He's relatively young really :D

As you say if you keep a close eye, and note any symptoms and when they happen, you may find a pattern or something that would help the vet with a diagnosis. As I mentioned previously, perhaps a lab analysis of the urine would throw up something to go on, in the way of bacteria.

I am so pleased that the liver and kidney values are normal - was a great relief that is! I know that feeling!

Sending loads of vibes for you both xx

Is he actually incontinent though (leaking urine) or is it that he is urinating more frequently and in greater quantities ? I doubt that his symptoms are all due to his age, which is not really 'old' for a small breed Rabbit.

Sometimes a free flow urine sample gives a false negative for infection, especially if only 'dip tested'. A specimen taken directly from the bladder, (Cystocentesis), would be more reliable.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...div_TechniquesRabbit/Cystocentesis_Rabbit.htm

So maybe it is possible that the problem is a UTI, despite the 'negative' dip test. Baytril is usually very effective for treating UTIs, but the course may need to be a long one, about 10-14 days.

It's good news that his Liver and Kidney function are both OK.

Hey,
Just an update. Picked up nacho and he has been doing well today. Managed to do a lot of poops which were a little soft but normal in size and shape. Also, he's eaten a fair bit as well, so things are definitely more positive.
I checked and the urine analysis was infact a lab analysis and not a dip test as I thought, so I suppose that is also good news that it was clear?
I haven't been given a "course" as such, just enough to do until after the weekend at which point they want to see him back. At this point I'll ask for more if needed and do the 2 week course. I've to contact them daily with an update and they'll see us sooner if required.
He is actually leaking urine, when I picked him up on Sunday it was just dripping out of him, it seemed that the pressure of my hand on his tummy was "pressing" it out- does that make sense? Although I must admit that this seems to be less obvious this evening, so maybe the meds are helping?
Thank you both for the advice today, it has been really useful.
I like to think of myself as a fairly experienced rabbit owner. I've just been so fortunate over the past ten years that I haven't had a rabbits with any of the common ailments. Ive been really lucky! I have two other buns who are older than nacho, so I guess it's to be expected with age that some issues are going to occur. I'm just glad that I've paid my insurance for all these years.
Thanks again, hopefully he'll do well overnight and I can get him back outside where he is happier.
P x

Hey,
Just an update. Picked up nacho and he has been doing well today. Managed to do a lot of poops which were a little soft but normal in size and shape. Also, he's eaten a fair bit as well, so things are definitely more positive.
I checked and the urine analysis was infact a lab analysis and not a dip test as I thought, so I suppose that is also good news that it was clear?
I haven't been given a "course" as such, just enough to do until after the weekend at which point they want to see him back. At this point I'll ask for more if needed and do the 2 week course. I've to contact them daily with an update and they'll see us sooner if required.
He is actually leaking urine, when I picked him up on Sunday it was just dripping out of him, it seemed that the pressure of my hand on his tummy was "pressing" it out- does that make sense? Although I must admit that this seems to be less obvious this evening, so maybe the meds are helping?
I like to think of myself as a fairly experienced rabbit owner. I've just been so fortunate over the past ten years that I haven't had a rabbits with any of the common ailments. Ive been really lucky! I have two other buns who are older than nacho, so I guess it's to be expected with age that some issues are going to occur. I'm just glad that I've paid my insurance for all these years.
Thanks again, hopefully he'll do well overnight and I can get him back outside where he is happier.
P x

If a Rabbit has a wee infection they may hold their urine in or only wee a few drips as it can sting to wee. So their bladder can get very full and consequently when the Rabbit is picked up they will empty out all the previously retained urine. Hopefully he will continue to improve over the next few days. I am sure that he's glad to be home xx

Hey,
P x

Hi Paula

I hope the Baytril will do something, as it does sound as if something's going on here that shouldn't be!

I'm so glad you've got insurance. If you find the antibiotics don't do the trick, you'll be able to go in for more diagnostics if his weeing problem hasn't improved. Bless him - and you! xx

Back