• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dave panting

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
I don't know whether it's because he's got huge ears and it's more noticeable but he's been panting away all day. He's been outside all afternoon, in the shade and also has frozen water bottles should he want to sit by them (which he hasn't thus far). Chloe has been panting a little but not to the extent of Dave. I feel sorry for him but I'm not sure what else I can do and I'm wondering if it looks worse because of the size of his ears. He's moulting too at the mo.

I don't know whether it's because he's got huge ears and it's more noticeable but he's been panting away all day. He's been outside all afternoon, in the shade and also has frozen water bottles should he want to sit by them (which he hasn't thus far). Chloe has been panting a little but not to the extent of Dave. I feel sorry for him but I'm not sure what else I can do and I'm wondering if it looks worse because of the size of his ears. He's moulting too at the mo.

Can dampen down his ears and the back of his neck with cool water ?

Fortunately, our house is actively cold but, when Hector stays with my mum and he gets warmer, he pants quite heavily. I put a cold/damp kitchen towel on his ears and he seems to love it!! He looks a bit silly though.....

I have been dampening his ears now & again. I remember him being like this last year and I was worried he had some kind of breathing issue but I had him checked out and all appeared fine. I'm guessing it's just him. I'm just worried as I'm out all day tomorrow.

Haha SJH it makes me smile thinking of Hector with a kitchen towel on his head. I will try it with Dave :)

Are the frozen water bottles covered with anything? If no, then try wrapping them up in a tea towel, sock, or even some kitchen roll - it makes them a lot more attractive to buns!

Matt was worried about Aboleth shaking last night: her ears were wobbling all over the place. Lopsy was pretty much the same but it's much less noticeable with his loppy ears. A few mins later both were up and about hopping for leaves and grass though. Aboleth's not keen on the water thing at all, but Lopsy doesn't mind. Hope Dave (and everyone else) is more comfortable today :)

Yes they are wrapped in a towel x

One things for sure is both haven't lost their appetite in this heat. Looking forward to 5pm so I can go home and see them. :)

Back