• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind Leg Amputation

This sounds much more promising. At least they are willing to ask around for what might be possible and then you can make a better informed decision.

How is she at the moment? Eating? pooing?

The vets have said that she's doing great right now, eating/drinking etc, but that if she decides to stop eating then there's nothing they can do for her.

The vets have said that she's doing great right now, eating/drinking etc, but that if she decides to stop eating then there's nothing they can do for her.

It doesn't sound like they have much experience with rabbits. They can be syringe fed relatively easily (...waits to be shot down by those struggling at home...) if they do stop eating eg due to pain or illness. It is very important that they do maintain their food intake in order to keep their guts going, otherwise you run into a different set of problems.

Thank you for all of the help but the vet just phoned me to say that Hazel's passed away. Devastated.

Oh I am so very sorry. I know all too well how utterly horrific it is to loose a Rabbit to a Fox attack :cry: You did absolutely everything possible for Hazel, her little body just could not cope with the shock

If I were you I'd bring her companion indoors as now the Fox knows that Rabbits are about he is very likely to come back.

RIP Hazel :cry:

Her partner's inside right now, currently enjoying the nice cool laminate flooring. Thank you for all of the kind words, she was such a sweet-natured bunny and I miss her so much 😔 When is a good time to start looking for another friend? Her partner was making sad honking noises earlier that broke my heart.

Her partner's inside right now, currently enjoying the nice cool laminate flooring. Thank you for all of the kind words, she was such a sweet-natured bunny and I miss her so much �� When is a good time to start looking for another friend? Her partner was making sad honking noises earlier that broke my heart.

It really varies from Rabbit to Rabbit. No two Rabbits grieve in exactly the same way. Is Hazel's bereaved partner neutered ?

It really varies from Rabbit to Rabbit. No two Rabbits grieve in exactly the same way. Is Hazel's bereaved partner neutered ?

Yeah, he's neutered. He seems OK (eating, drinking, chewing up a cardboard box) but yeah, he seemed as if he was grieving earlier, making sad noises I'd never heard from him before which broke my heart.

Sorry for your loss. Can you describe the noise your boy us making? It's not normal for rabbits to make noises so I'm concerned he might be injured rather than sad.

Sorry for your loss. Can you describe the noise your boy us making? It's not normal for rabbits to make noises so I'm concerned he might be injured rather than sad.

It sounds silly to say but it was like a honking? And he only stopped when I went over to give him attention. I mean he seems OK, movement, grooming, eating wise etc., but maybe I should book a vets appointment just to be sure :/

Her partner's inside right now, currently enjoying the nice cool laminate flooring. Thank you for all of the kind words, she was such a sweet-natured bunny and I miss her so much 😔 When is a good time to start looking for another friend? Her partner was making sad honking noises earlier that broke my heart.

If he's sad and grieving, and you are happy to take on another rabbit, I would look straight away.

I have found that a rabbit who's lost a loving partner needs to have a reason to get out of bed in the morning, as it were, and I have bonded within a week of a partner passing away.

Has he seen her body and does he know she's not coming back? xx

Back