• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Bottom

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

When we put our two male rabbits in the run yesterday we noticed that one of them had a dirty bum. Myself and my dd sorted it out for him, all fine.

Today we put them out and the same rabbit had a dirty bum again. It was quite runny and took a lot of effort to get it off, but we did. Thankfully he is very tolerant.

We have been trying to slowly move them both across to the same pellets as our other rabbits and have also been introducing some vegetables.

Should I stop doing this for now? Could I have rushed things and this is causing the issue? Or might he be one of those buns that could have constant issues?

Thanks in advance x

Hi all,

When we put our two male rabbits in the run yesterday we noticed that one of them had a dirty bum. Myself and my dd sorted it out for him, all fine.

Today we put them out and the same rabbit had a dirty bum again. It was quite runny and took a lot of effort to get it off, but we did. Thankfully he is very tolerant.

We have been trying to slowly move them both across to the same pellets as our other rabbits and have also been introducing some vegetables.

Should I stop doing this for now? Could I have rushed things and this is causing the issue? Or might he be one of those buns that could have constant issues?

Thanks in advance x

Are you introducing lots of different Veg at the same time ? It's usually better to just introduce one new Veg at a time and in very small amounts. Then if an 'upset' occurs you'll know the culprit. Carrots are sometimes an issue due to the high sugar content. Same applies with fruit. Personally I dont feed any Veg to my Rabbits. They have a variety of fresh herbs and fresh forage.

What pellets are you changing them on to ? Excel Pellets are know to cause 'mucky bum' problems for some Rabbits. How much pellet feed are you giving ? Too many pellets means a Rabbit wont eat enough hay and this can cause them to get a mucky bum.

I am sure that you know how important it is to take extra precautions re Flystrike given that one bun is getting a mucky bum.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Is the bun normally a good hay eater ? If not then he is more likely to develop dental problems. The onset of which can include 'mucky bum' as a symptom.

There is some more information on this link:

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.asp

Hi Jane, thank you for replying.

I have maybe been too quick introducing new veg, so will slow down on that. I don't give them a lot, just a small piece of spring green or a bit of kale, no carrots.

We are moving them across to Science Selective. They are currently on Harringtons, which I don't think is too bad (at least it's not muesli) but I'd rather have everyone on the same. I'm giving an egg cup full morning and evening.

He does seem to be eating his hay okay, but I think he could probably do with a check up on the condition of his teeth, as we've only just got them. I'm reluctant to go to the vets at the moment though, unless it's for the rhdv2 jab, as I'd worry about them picking something up (of course I'd take them if they were ill though) x

Thanks for the links, I'll have a read. I do worry a lot about fly strike, so will make sure I'm extra vigilant x

It could be the change of owner/environment which upsets some rabbits. We normally say an eggcup full per day. :thumb:

Oh have I got that wrong, an egg cup full a day, not twice a day? :oops:

Yes, we've only had them just over a week and they are quite nervous around us, I hadn't thought of that x

I decided to not give him any veg last night and his bum has been perfect today. Think I'll reintroduce it much more slowly and not so much variety at first x

I decided to not give him any veg last night and his bum has been perfect today. Think I'll reintroduce it much more slowly and not so much variety at first x

Well done!

Some bunnies have really sensitive tummies and need special attention. They can't eat what the 'run of the mill' do and stay clean :D

Hello
My rabbit had this. We got her off someone who reported she had a long history of really dirty bottom. Subsequently she was on this pellet only diet from out friend. Couldnt have hay grass anything. Sad life really. Then last summer i had my rabbit mansion built. Its a large walk in run. Lots of space. Never had a problem since. Although she had a hutch and run before i think she was bored and just used to sit. Since moving into the mansion she can have hay, grass, veg and normal rabbit food and hasnt had a dirty bottom since. Think she just needed to be more free and to run about and to flick the poops away from her.

How lovely that she now has lots of space to run around :). I can't imagine a pellet only diet would have been good for her though, I'm fairly new to rabbit ownership but I thought they were supposed to always have hay available.

I think my buns problem was definitely the veggies. I think I was introducing to many different types, too soon. Basically, we stopped all veg for a couple of days and then have slowly introduced them again, but the same ones for 2 or 3 days and only tiny amounts. He's had no problems since. Fingers crossed x

Back